[solved]Boost installed, yet econf complains
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: [solved]Boost installed, yet econf complains Reply with quote

I'm having trouble emerging these packages, that are dependencies of libreoffice-bin:

[ebuild N ] app-text/libmspub-0.0.6 USE="-doc -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] app-text/libwps-0.2.8 [0.2.7] USE="-debug -doc -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] media-libs/libvisio-0.0.28 [0.0.23] USE="-doc -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] media-libs/libcdr-0.0.14 [0.0.9] USE="-doc -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-libs/liborcus-0.3.0 USE="-static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] app-office/libreoffice-bin-4.0.4.2 [3.6.4.3] USE="gnome java (-aqua) -debug -kde (-cups%*)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7%* (-python3_3)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7%* (-python3_3)" 0 kB

Any of these dependencies makes econf fail with messages related to boost. Libmspub for example:
checking for boost/bind.hpp... no
configure: error: Required boost headers not found. Install boost

Yet I installed boost:dev-libs/boost
Latest version available: 1.49.0-r2
Latest version installed: 1.49.0-r2
Size of files: 47,363 kB
Homepage: http://www.boost.org/
Description: Boost Libraries for C++
License: Boost-1.0

* dev-util/boost-build
Latest version available: 1.53.0
Latest version installed: 1.49.0
Size of files: 54,458 kB
Homepage: http://www.boost.org/doc/tools/build/index.html
Description: A system for large project software construction, which is simple to use and powerful.
License: Boost-1.0

Something the problem with the use flags?
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/boost-1.49.0-r2 USE="-debug -doc -icu -mpi -python -static-libs -tools" 0 kB

It worked last time I tried to emerge libreoffice-bin, so I'm not sure where to look. Any idea?

EDIT/ SOLUTION:
Like haemp3 said, the problem was boost not being in the /usr/include/boost folder, but in boost-1.49. I just moved everything from the boost-1.49 folder to /usr/include/boost (which was empty) and now econf finds boost headers.
Now it's time for the harvest

Last edited by Clad in Sky on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
h4emp3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to do the same exact thing and have the same exact error with it. I fiddled around with it for quite some time yesterday and couldn't get it to compile.
The problem itself occurs in the configure phase of libmspub and the emerge output and log do not give very much useful information.

Just some sidenotes, maybe they help: Libreoffice only wants '=dev-libs/boost-1.49*' which is not the most current stable version in portage. And as far as I can tell boost is not slotted anymore, but that may be totally unrelated... Nevertheless I had to uninstall gource (okok, I have to admit, that's an unstable packet) to get portage to do anything, but that didn't have any impact on the problem.

I just stumpled upon libreoffice pulled in without cause and the linked bug, could be related I guess.

And last for this post: Am I blinded or stupid? Isn't there an attach file button here? If there is, please tell me where and I will attach the emerge info and logfiles ;)
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there's no attach button anywhere, you're eyes are OK (well, probably). :D

I've already taken care of the version of boost, it is 1.49.something and there are no complaints about that. Before I did a world update and 1.53 was first installed, then got replaced by 1.49 again. I also unmerged all boost and only installed 1.49 again to be sure.
Well, perhaps anyone else has a solution to our problem.
Now it's time for the harvest
h4emp3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the solution for my case:

The folder /usr/include/boost was a leftover from the old (I guess the slotted) version of boost and portage did not want to overwrite it, so it installed boost into /usr/include/boost.backup.0000 instead. This was too much for gcc and it failed including the headers.

With the wrong folder the following command threw an error:
g++ -dM -x c++ -E /dev/null -include boost/version.hpp

After uninstalling boost, searching and removing leftovers with the following command and installing boost again the g++ command did find the headers (files which are not followed by a package name in the next line are not under portage control):
find / -path '/usr/portage' -prune -o -path /usr/src -prune -o -path /mnt -prune -o -iname '*boost*' -exec echo {} \; -exec qfile {} \;

Hope this helps anyone else, happy hacking ;)
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When configure fails to find a required file, it should generate more detailed output in config.log. Look there to see why the test failed to find the file you expected.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: