recover files from an SD card WITH NAMES[unfree soft solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmvianna
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: recover files from an SD card WITH NAMES[unfree soft solved] Reply with quote

OK, so I deleted a day's work by mistake. Here we go to try to save it...

I have checked this post and tried both ways. Both worked, but without the original names. Without them, the pictures are useless to me. They were taken by an automated system which writes relevant data to the filenames.

Last edited by dmvianna on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
progman32
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: I perhaps wrongfully assumed you're using FAT. I saw "pictures" and assumed they were on a digicam card... If you're on any other FS, I'm not sure I can help you... If you use ReiserFS, you may be able to restore the files (perhaps with their names) by looking here: http://antrix.net/journal/techtalk/reiserfs_data_recovery_howto.comments

IIRC, FAT file deletion overwrites the first filename character but leaves the rest unchanged. I know for a fact that some utilities (for Windows or DOS) will indeed recover the filename, but I have not used such tools in Windows for ages. If it matters, an old version of Norton Utilities will do just that, but it runs in DOS and won't be able to access your card. Try a google search...

Hold on a sec... the standard DOS "undelete" program should work fine... It's not present in XP IIRC, but any 98/95/ME installation should. I found a site that offers it for download, dunno if it will work in XP: http://www.uv.tietgen.dk/staff/mlha/Download/DOS/
It's a DOS program but it should be able to access your card with Window's help.
dmvianna
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

progman32 wrote:
Hold on a sec... the standard DOS "undelete" program should work fine...

Yep. I had thought of using it too, but it didn't work with wine... Then I had a flashback of my DOS-hacking days, and looked for a DOS tool in the right place: download.com! Of course I found what I was looking for, and ran it from a Windows machine... All sorted. :)

My question was more of the sort... I would much rather not have to rely on unfree DOS freeware if I could have a Linux GPL tool to do something like that. :wink: