strange kernel problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: strange kernel problems Reply with quote

hello all you linuxers out there

i have a strange problem with vanilla-sources 2.4.21

first to give y'all some history, i origionally installed gentoo with gentoo-sources. For some reason, it failed to load the tulip drivers even when i tried compiling them both into the kernel and seperately as a module, which i tried to load in modules.autostart

both failed miserably, and after emerging vanilla-sources without unmerging gentoo-sources (ultimate n00bness) i just decided to f*** it and reinstall completely

so after all that business of a second stage-1 install, i finally got my ethernet card working, only to find that upon emerging X, i had another week of fuddling ahead of me.

i still havent gotten X going, at all, and im very puzzled

i just emerged vanilla-sources 2.4.21, and got rid of 2.4.20 (via unmerge, and then deleting the rmdir --ignore-fail-on-non-empty /usr/src/linux-2.4.20) perhaps that screwed things up...

anyways, i have the intel i810 chipset and use the builtin video chip, and i810 drivers use AGPGart, which, as i checked in my kernel, was compiled.

I tried recompiling my kernel (it must have been 3 times) to no avail, and tried to make a new bzImage

that is where my second problem came in. ever since my install, the kernel didn't load devfs, case i forgot to compile it into the origional kernel build and bzImage i made as part of the install process (silly me)

so i made a new bzImage allong with reiserfs (my root fs), ext3 (my boot fs) and devfs support, along with tulip, agpgart, and i810 support

Code:
make dep && make bzImage modules modules_install

so then i reboot, and it loads devfs (whoo!) but then it tells me that it cant load my root partition R/W so i have to log in as root, mount my boot partition, and go back to the old bzImage (thankfully, i backed it up)

so anyways, yah, i went through all that cause X dont work, and im still fuddled as to why it doesnt, cause kernel compiles seem to do jack sh** as the stuff i compile doesnt end up working/existing (is the syntax for the above code flawed?) so anyways, if anyone knows how to fix my problem even if it involves re-emerging vanilla-sources, or even different kernel sources, i'd be happy
Mpemba Effect
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm ok, so whats the problem in 5 sentences of less? :) As far as I can gather I think your asking for help on two problems a) why X isn't working and b) why your root partition is getting mounted ... neither of which you have given any error messges/logs for :)
Maelstrom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the kernel compiling problem to do with mounting boot? You must manually mount /boot before copying the bzImage across, otherwise you just get the old version.
scone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, sorry, that was kinda lengthy :wink:

anyway, yeah, basically, i try to compile stuff and it doesnt end up working

the example i gave was that i need to compile agpgart for x to work, and i selected it in menuconfig, i do make dep, and it compiles

upon restart and startx it tells me that i need agpgart support with i just comiled into my kernel!!! :x

also, the bzImage thing: i compile a new bzimage and it tells me that it has no reiserfs support, which i also compiled, as i checked a few times
scone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i did mount boot...

anyways, i reinstalled with gentoo sources and got my ethernet card working

so now im hoping to get X installed, if not, ill see if i can use a newer kernel vesion, 2.5.x mebe
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: