Severe bridge issues. [SOLVED - bad switch]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Severe bridge issues. [SOLVED - bad switch] Reply with quote

Everything has been working fine for upwards of 6 months. Currently for wireless I am using an Atheros card with Madwifi. My network setup looks like this:

br0 (eth0, ath0), eth0 goes to switch/rest of LAN
eth1: internet

br0 has my internal IP address (192.168.0.1), I also run DHCP internally

About an hour ago, the wired computers suddenly lost all network access. DHCP fails to renew, and even the Linux boxes are getting some kind of bogus 169.254 IP address (which should only happen with Windows clients that fail to renew). If I set their IP's manually they can talk to the server, but DHCP fails. DHCP is still working normally on the wireless clients. dhcpd is set to serve on br0, so it shouldn't matter if wired/wireless, and in fact has been working for 6 months. From what I can see of the configuration, it should all work, there is no technical reason why it should not (server logs indicate that bridge is forwarding normally and should be working). I see it as a technical impossibility at this point, but there is obviously something wrong. As an absolute last resort, I rebooted the server (which I NEVER EVER do except to change the kernel), and still nothing. I'm completely lost, any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited by Akaihiryuu on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paczesiowa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you use authoritative mode in dhcp software?

if it's not that, maybe some package update broke it? I can give you later my versions of software (I have the same setup)
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use authoritative mode for DHCP, but DHCP itself isn't the problem. Even if I set the IP address manually, it still doesn't work. I have to start a ping to the server, then do another ping back from the server to the wired machine, then that one will communicate. Internet access works at that point, but I still cannot ping across the bridge (no communication with wireless systems even though they can see the server/internet also), and DHCP still fails. This is something in the kernel bridging itself that has to be wrong, but I haven't changed the kernel for quite some time.
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've confirmed that it is not a hardware issue. If I take the bridge out of the equation (put the IP on eth0) and run dhcpd on eth0, everything works as it did before. Of course, that does mean losing my wireless network. Previously, I had the IP address on br0, and had eth0 and ath0 set to null, and ran dhcpd on br0, that worked perfectly fine for a year, and suddenly stopped this morning when I had made no changes.
Paczesiowa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is your
Code:
grep CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER /usr/src/linux/.config
?
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paczesiowa wrote:
what is your
Code:
grep CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER /usr/src/linux/.config
?

It's on. But I added the lines to sysctl.conf to disable bridge filtering. Oh, here's something weird. I edited config files to take the bridge out (moved services back to eth0). This basically took my wireless network down. Later I was doing some experimenting, set things back to *exactly as they were before*, and now it works fine again. No explanation...in fact I don't have an explanation for why it wasn't working, because nothing was changed. Oh well. Would it help if I disabled that? I'd like to aovid a recurrence, though I have no explanation for why it stopped working and then started again with no changes (I literally just restored my backed up config files from earlier).
Paczesiowa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure you have
Code:
iptables -A FORWARD -i br0 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
in non-working configs?
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have that...but right now it's working and I still don't have that. I try not to use interfaces in iptables rules as a general rule, so my forwarding rules just refer to 192.168.0.0/24 instead of the interface.
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
triforce akai # iptables -L -v
Chain INPUT (policy DROP 20M packets, 3060M bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
2191K  328M ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere             anywhere
  13M 4937M ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     192.168.0.0/24       anywhere
7938K 3213M ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
1248K  118M ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh-alt
 1306 54371 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:telnet-alt
1458K   86M ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:http-alt
20519 3327K ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:https-alt
30950 1603K ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:http-alt
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ftp
    4   192 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:3784

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 4225 packets, 457K bytes)
 794M  385G ACCEPT     all  --  any    eth1    192.168.0.0/24       anywhere
 819M  485G ACCEPT     all  --  eth1   any     anywhere             192.168.0.0/24

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 558M packets, 572G bytes)

Code:
triforce akai # iptables -t nat -L -v
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 43M packets, 4488M bytes)
   27  1368 DNAT       tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:4000 to:192.168.0.7
  173  8304 DNAT       tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:6112 to:192.168.0.7
    7   637 DNAT       udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:6112 to:192.168.0.7

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 6176K packets, 647M bytes)
9130K  594M MASQUERADE  all  --  any    any     192.168.0.0/24       anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 6239K packets, 658M bytes)

Code:
triforce akai # brctl show
bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
br0             8000.00146cc49923       no              eth0
                                                        ath0

Code:
triforce akai # brctl showmacs br0
port no mac addr                is local?       ageing timer
  1     00:04:61:9a:00:c4       no                 0.00
  1     00:13:20:9b:85:f1       no                 8.19
  2     00:14:6c:c4:99:23       yes                0.00
  2     00:19:d2:2d:ba:0a       no                 7.61
  1     00:40:63:da:21:5f       yes                0.00

Right now everything is working, and this is exactly how it was set up when it wasn't working. In that case, DHCP failed, the computers on eth0 (port 1) could not communicate with anything or ping across the bridge, while the ones on ath0 (wireless, port 2) were working fine. It almost seems like packets were just being dropped, but I don't see any reason why they would be. And I have no explanation for why it started working again with no changes made.
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after lots of intermittent working and lots of pulling my hair out (especially since nothing changed between the working/not working states)...I finally found the source of the problem: my switch. Apparently it was dying and not consistently passing traffic. It stopped working entirely no matter what I did...and then I noticed that the light for one of the ports stayed on even if all ethernet cables were unplugged from it. Power cycle and it came back the same way. Replaced the switch and everything is fine again. So it was never a problem with the bridging setup at all, it was a flakey switch the entire time!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: