Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still makes no sense :)
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea was to create 2 releases over one year, 6 months apart. Originally this was supposed to happen in February and August (plz correct me if I am wrong). Due to some problems, building errors or something - I don't know the details - the first one got released in May, logically the next release should be in November, but it never came to it - so far.

I hope this explains it.

cheers
V.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: last day to release gentoo 2007.1 ! Reply with quote

piwacet wrote:
11010010110 wrote:

The question is, where did drobbins get his??

Wow I've been awake several nights trying to get my brain around this. 8O

Check this howto.
marrowhk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo needs a new front page at www.gentoo.org. It's horribly out-of-date and is probably responsible for turning potential investigators off dabbling in gentoo.

We only need one install/livecd a year - keep it simple and get rid of the notion 2007.0 2007.1 ... etc, just call it 2007, 2008 - spend the saved time dealing with more important matters. Tell people that we don't need to update like fedora and Ubuntu, use this fact as an advantage to using Gentoo. Gentoo should be singing their own praises ... "We don't need continually updated install cd/dvds, we're always up-to date - The power of emerge, and make.profile ... etc, ..etc...!"

The front page should be a single page explaining how gentoo differs from the monolithic distros not the ethereal news letters which, in my opinion have never really been anything to shout about (get rid of them altogether, they waste too much effort). Everyone who uses gentoo, and has become proficient at using it knows that there simply isn't a better way to use Linux - gentoo.org should be boasting about this, not hiding behind an archaic web page and disappointing people with useless livecd update failures. Gentoo should be above all this nonsense.

Better still encourage users to build/distribute their own hardware specialized install/livecds (like specialized kernels) let gentoo.org concentrate on core builds once a year
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marrowhk wrote:
We only need one install/livecd a year - keep it simple and get rid of the notion 2007.0 2007.1 ... etc, just call it 2007, 2008 - spend the saved time dealing with more important matters. Tell people that we don't need to update like fedora and Ubuntu, use this fact as an advantage to using Gentoo. Gentoo should be singing their own praises ... "We don't need continually updated install cd/dvds, we're always up-to date - The power of emerge, and make.profile ... etc, ..etc...!"

I think one of the points in this argument is that we need more than one a year. Especially if that year is 2007. WTF did we do, letting the expat bug be annoying? And also all that hardware which won't work with the livecd? People shouldn't have to worry about stuff like that.

See, drobbins has the right idea - a new stage every week. I just recently got this system up (just a few more games/ multimedia programs to go), using the Fedora LiveDVD and one of his stages.

It would make one helluva lot of sense to release stages quite often (less time for emerge --sync :D ), release new livecd's, say, every kernel major release or so? And new profiles can take as long as they'd like.

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
marrowhk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my system one year ago (start of 2007) I update once a month and stage4 backup after every major update (runs overnight). It seems to me that specific stage4 backups (creating your own stages) is a much better way to rebuild gentoo. You can use any livecd to build gentoo, why don't we just encourage gentoo.org to concentrate on doing what they have been doing well (portage and ebuilds) leave the rest to the community - one livecd a year is plenty, if you have new hardware use a community made livecd for that hardware (here, jmicron enabled livecd comes to mind - community made).

The whole point about gentoo is that the build process is simple once you get used to it. Get rid of the crappy gui installer (let people who want it move over to fedora/ubuntu), keep it simple and let the community adapt the core for their own purposes. 8)
boou32
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Gentoo 2007.1 Reply with quote

Hi Is gentoo 2007.1 dead in the water?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
release new livecd's, say, every kernel major release or so? And new profiles can take as long as they'd like.
poly-p man

You are right, Arch does that right now.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
See, drobbins has the right idea - a new stage every week. I just recently got this system up (just a few more games/ multimedia programs to go), using the Fedora LiveDVD and one of his stages.
It would make one helluva lot of sense to release stages quite often (less time for emerge --sync :D ), release new livecd's, say, every kernel major release or so? And new profiles can take as long as they'd like.
poly-p man

The new stage is a awesome idea.. Also since Daniel Robbins can build stage by himself, maybe he will build in a near future a new LiveCD with 32 Bits and 64 bits support.
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WakkaDojo wrote:
Who said I used a LiveCD?

I had Ubuntu on a separate partition and used it to install Gentoo.

Links is okay... but so far as making web browsing convenient it's better to have a GUI browser I would say. Hence it's more convenient to use the internet through another distro than in the Gentoo barebones Links terminal web browser. I used more than just the walkthroughs when I installed Gentoo, it was very handy to be able to browse forums and such with the speed and ease of an X-window internet browser.

No, not entirely, at least not if you have eLinks! :twisted:
civilguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: We Need a New Release Reply with quote

For the bast few days, I have been installing Gentoo on the fifth computer in my house. I thought it would be simple like all of the others. I hadn't installed recently (March of 2007). I knew that the 2007.0 release would be out of date, but since I installed it, I have been having problems. Nothing big... nothing I can't handle, but it's substantial enough that it might dissuade a new user from using Gentoo over Ubuntu or Fedora or something with an easier install process.

Since I started using Gentoo, it has been my goal to convert as many people as possible, and it is hard to do that disclaimer that 'you may have some trouble installing.' It is my sincere belief that we really need a new release. Even if nothing significant has changed. As long as it is updated to the point that installing is not a problem.

If you feel the same way, please make some noise, and let me know. Thanks!
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above post here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Robbins could take on the job and do everything Gentoo needs, but there is this thing called pride which is hitting some of the developers, well at least thats what I've been told, correct me if I'm wrong. I mean Drobbins could help with the livecd and the stage creation, he even made a athlon-xp tarball which I really appreciate, I've been missing thos since more than a year now. Anyways is enough with Drobbins making the stage tarballs, since thats all that is needed, the 2007.0 installation media is rock solid, except for the graphical installer livecd, which has always been a failure since I predicted it till the very begging of the talks about the project.

All in all people think Gentoo is going down, I mean thats what everybody says when I tell them I like and use Gentoo. But well, even though I know it is going down because it isn't as strong as it were back in the days when I started using it, is still usable and brings the freedom no ther binary distribution can bring. In fact I love Arch Linux, cause is the most free binary distribution when we speak of customization, but still Gentoo has always had the best customization of all thats why my system will always have a Gentoo install.

The only problem I'm facing is that packages aren't that up to date as I would like on the stable branch. And even though Gentoo is not going well, I think this all will get fixed sometime, just don't hold your breath since I have been wanting this since more than a year ago.

Just my opinion.

Thanks.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai,

Don't confuse Gentoo 'going down' with changing direction. What gentoo does depends on the interests of the developer pool.
Developers leave, the emphisis shifts, new developers join, it shifts some more. Thats a sign of a healhy volunteer project.

I agree with your perception that Gentoo is not as strong as it was, however, in absolute terms, I'm much less sure of that statement.
I've become stronger in my Gentoo knowledge.

Gentoo is changing, thats for sure but dying, I don't think so.

Anyone within Gentoo can join the releng project and help to produce the next installer release, all it takes is the interest to do so.
Its a little harder for other community members to contribute but not impossible

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with you NeddySeagoon. I'll just try and help where I can.
boou32
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: New Gentoo Release Reply with quote

Will the gentoo release come out before spring?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends

I emerged this morning and got an updated gentoo
ill probably emerge tomorrow and get an even newer gentoo
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody likes a smartass. (even if you are technically correct ;))
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boou32,

Gentoo does not really have releases, your install is as up to date as your last
Code:
emerge --sync
emerge world -uDNav

Gentoo installers have releases. The next one will be out when its ready.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drobbins releases unofficial updated stages on his site.
zeek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't install on new hardware if the drivers for it aren't on the install media.

The latest Dell x950 hardware only just works with the "latest" Gentoo LiveCD. When I say just I'm referring to how the LiveCD sees /dev/sda as /dev/sdb (but Grub still sees it as sda (technically the first drive)).
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the next release will be out before spring. However, you will not know about it before Christmas anyway, because pr@gentoo.org will take their time for the publication of the finished and sealed release note. Actually the "next release" might be finished already.
</rant>
aceFruchtsaft
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it does not matter at all when the next release will be, since many people switched to installing Gentoo via an up to date LiveCD of some other Linux distribution (such as Knoppix).

boou32, if you want a fresh install, just do it that way.
psomas
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceFruchtsaft wrote:
Actually it does not matter at all when the next release will be, since many people switched to installing Gentoo via an up to date LiveCD of some other Linux distribution (such as Knoppix).

boou32, if you want a fresh install, just do it that way.

although i agree, i think that the absence of releases may make people outside gentoo think that development is not progressing, and people who might want to come to gentoo, don't...

and,it's easier and more convenient(at least to a newcomer to gentoo) to install through an official gentoo install cd...
tsuehpsyde
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to install Gentoo is a live environment. Just use Ubuntu CDs (that's what I do anymore). Not only can you use a console to partition your disk and do what's needed to install Gentoo, you can use the live environment to load up FireFox and read the documentation as you go. ;) Sure beats the LiveCD console that is provided by the Gentoo discs (and as stated above, you can just use the updated stages from drobbins).

Pretty sad that you have to use other means to get a current version of Gentoo installed, but whatever. Such is the current state of things.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: