View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atti_simon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Gentoo 2007.1 release Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I know the 2007.1 release is scheduled to November 2007.
I'm curious, could anybody predict a more precise date for the next release? :)

[if that would be within the first 10 days of November, I'll wait for it, otherwise not ]

Thank you!
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you need it?
is there some fandangled new piece of hardware that isnt supported by the 2007.0 liveCD meaning you cannot use that to install?
atti_simon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be, don't know yet.
I bought a laptop, rather new model: HP 8710P.
I'll receive it this week or next week.
I want to install Gentoo on it and I wanted to start clean.
No deadly need to have 2007.1, just a personal wish. :wink:

PS: There's no real problem, I have the 2007.0 min-install cd and the handbook on my desk already, but I was curious about the next release.
WakkaDojo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I believe it, you can install any version of gentoo, then as you update world it will update to the newest gentoo -- none of the red tape like the other distros. What I mean is, an emerge -uavDN world would bring your gentoo to the newest version regardless of the install version. If I'm wrong please correct me.
atti_simon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, I know about that, I just wanted to have the latest install cd.
OK, I'll probably use the 2007.0.
Thanks for he answers.

:wink:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are really worried you may have a gentoo-liveCD that doesn't support yr hardware then boot off the latest ubuntu installCD and install GEntoo from that
to install Gentoo you only needs a minimal booted linux
atti_simon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the idea!
Thanks!
:wink:
WakkaDojo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that's how I installed gentoo. I used the minimal live the first time, but the second time I just did it through Ubuntu. Sometimes I had to boot into gentoo to do a few configuration things, and start hal or something, but for the most part I could do everything in Ubuntu. It was great installing Gentoo through Ubuntu because I could access all of the online wikis and howtos, I highly recommend it!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some way to contact the Gentoo-ia64 live CD development team?

It almost seems nobody has a ia64 Itanium 900MHz+ box running Gentoo based on my other post, but I'll likely be getting one soon. I'd like to figure out the issues I've seen when I tried booting the 2007.0 live CD on a SR870BN4 using four dual core CPUs and had to resort to SuSE. Unfortunately I'll probably be only getting a dual CPU SR870BH2 but it would be nice if the 2007.1 included the changes for a smooth boot... :)

Probably too late for 2007.1 though, it may still be a week out before I get the machine, but I may be surprised, I hope. A clean booting 2007.1 IA64 live CD without me trying to fix it? Probably a pipe dream...
Incinerator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WakkaDojo, there is no need in Ubuntu livecds etc to install Gentoo. Handbook is present on the install cd. It can be viewed in links/lynx. Also, you have access to online docs/wiki's and all other content of www. All you have to do is run links/lynx. :roll:
WakkaDojo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said I used a LiveCD?

I had Ubuntu on a separate partition and used it to install Gentoo.

Links is okay... but so far as making web browsing convenient it's better to have a GUI browser I would say. Hence it's more convenient to use the internet through another distro than in the Gentoo barebones Links terminal web browser. I used more than just the walkthroughs when I installed Gentoo, it was very handy to be able to browse forums and such with the speed and ease of an X-window internet browser.
imanel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question: Does anybody know something about new profile in 2007.1? Will it be very different from 2007.0? I'm asking because I have new machine and not really want to "emerge -e world" after two days making everything work just because something changed... I know - could stay with old profile or manually setup USE flags but usualy I stay with default "amd64/desktop" plus 4-5 custom flags...
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imanel wrote:
Another question: Does anybody know something about new profile in 2007.1? Will it be very different from 2007.0? I'm asking because I have new machine and not really want to "emerge -e world" after two days making everything work just because something changed... I know - could stay with old profile or manually setup USE flags but usualy I stay with default "amd64/desktop" plus 4-5 custom flags...

I haven't heard of any major changes so far.
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I am in the situation that I want to install Gentoo on a new system, any hints if it would be worthwhile to wait a little? :oops: :)
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) does yr new system have any hardware which means the present liveCD is unable to boot to a state where installing can commence
2) do you want to miss possibly go through the expat issue?

if the answer is yes to any of them then wait (the main thing abt a bump in the install medium is the stage tarballs in all honesty)
terracotta_shore
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: 2007.1? Or perhaps 2008.0. Reply with quote

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so apologies if I've missed something.

I was planning to do a fresh stage 3 re-install, but with the 2007.1 release tarball possibly imminent, I thought it would be sensible to wait until that is available - if only to avoid having to go through the expat shenanigans again. So - any news on when this might be released or, seeing as 2007.0 was delayed, will 2008.0 be the next one? Or are the devs waiting until Gnome 2.20 and/or kde 3.5.8 are stable?

Just curious. Not trying to stir anything here.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terracotta_shore,

Gentoo is open source software produced by volunteers in their own free time.
As with everything like this, it will be out when its ready.

expat is not a big issue on new installs as only a few things break and once you have been through it you know what to do.

Why do you need a fresh install ?
It adds nothing to your system. Keep your profile up to date with the latests supported profile. carry out
Code:
emerge --sync
emerge world -uDNav
I'm still using an install that I did in early 2003 from a 1.4-rc4 minimal CD.
Its on its second set of hardware now but the system was copied from a single drive to a RAID 0 in the transistion.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
terracotta_shore
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon, thanks for your swift response. In fact, I'm fully aware of everything you said in your post, and I have been doing at least once-weekly world updates and profile updates (when available) on my x3 installations for well over a year now. However, every time I do something more than routine with Gentoo I learn something new, which is one of the reasons I use Gentoo. I was hoping that a fresh, clean install would also teach me something new.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Gentoo is open source software produced by volunteers in their own free time.
As with everything like this, it will be out when its ready.

Absolutely, and let me say a big thank you to all the people who do all this work. That is why I said, "Not trying to stir anything here." I'm sorry if my good intentions were not clear enough.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
expat is not a big issue on new installs as only a few things break and once you have been through it you know what to do.

Oh yes, quite. But after going through it three times I was getting a little bored with it. :wink:

Anyway - not to worry. Perhaps I'll use the 2007.0 tarball after all - perhaps I will learn something new after all. Oh yes, and the other reason was that I'm looking to build a new machine since one of the three is giving a lot of hardware trouble. New machine = new install in my book, and why not? :)

Thanks.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am one to always jump into these "a new gentoo release isn't needed" the last one was definitly needed (for the JMicron FakeATA controller chips) and this release is needed for updated tarballs, more so this time since it contains the seeds for Expat issues

I opened up a bugreport recently requesting new tarballs (not due to expat surfacing, but due to other blocking issues, perl related) was informed new tarballs will be released when 2007.1 is released

just hold out. A build can be done at present and it is possible to miss over the expat issue with a newbuild. the handbook may require a few extra steps, namely after emerge --sync doing a emerge gentoolkit and emerging expat and doing a revdep-rebuild before doing an update world
AaronPPC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Gentoo should get rid of named releases all together. They are just entry points for new installations so update the install tarballs once per year and leave it at that.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we all know that, Gentoo wouldn't get any attention that way. Also, a new release is always a chance to show off the current state of the portage tree and its most important package versions in the news.

I'd appreciate more meantime releases though when some things on the installation disk really need fixing; e.g. the JMicron case, or the expat update which would 'break' the new users' system with the very first --sync. We all want Gentoo to shine, don't we? :)
terracotta_shore
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
... namely after emerge --sync doing a emerge gentoolkit and emerging expat and doing a revdep-rebuild before doing an update world

Good advice. Having learnt the hard way, my routine now after an emerge -Du world or emerge -DNu world (after I've mucked about with USE flags) is to do a revdep-rebuild every time - whether or not the elogs tell me to. Which, at the risk of being jumped upon by a moderator again ( :wink: ), leads me to another question. Since revdep-rebuild is so necessary, why isn't gentoolkit included as part of the base system in either a stage or live CD install? Or is this a naive question?

And as far as NeddySeagoon's "As with everything like this, it will be out when its ready" comment - that's a fair point. It's just that since .0 and .1 releases happened in 2005 and in 2006, expectations will be raised that 2007 will be the same. Hence my curiosity - not impatience, please note.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terracotta_shore,

I apologise for you feeling 'jumped on by a moderator'

I write most of my posts on these forums as an ordinary user. Unfortunately, I can't turn my moderators badge on and off on a per post basis to make that clear. Come to think of it, I can't turn it on an off at all. I have not been writing in this thread in my capacity as a moderator.

I don't do a revdep-rebuild every time, only when something is obviously broken. However its a harmless process.

I did consider a response to your first post along the lines of, "if I told you that, I wold have to kill you" but humour is not international so I gave a full explaination that I hoped other readers would find useful too. Its also very difficult to judge a correspondents level of understanding on one or two posts so I try to err on the side of over explaining. That maximises the use of the threads I post in.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007.1? Or perhaps 2008.0. Reply with quote

terracotta_shore wrote:
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so apologies if I've missed something.

The answer is and has always been "it's ready when it's ready". Please don't expect an announcement before the release of a new snapshot, as there is none. The coming release is 2007.1.

terracotta_shore wrote:
Or are the devs waiting until Gnome 2.20 and/or kde 3.5.8 are stable?

No.
terracotta_shore
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
I did consider a response to your first post along the lines of, "if I told you that, I wold have to kill you"

Now that I would have enjoyed. :) The response, that is. Err... You know what I mean... :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: