Using switch with my Gentoo Laptop [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Using switch with my Gentoo Laptop [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello,

I've bought a PS3 and an unmanaged switch to connect both my PS3 and laptop to the net.
Unfortunately I came to the conclusion that only one device works at a time. No two devices can connect to the net at the same time. This is unfortunate!
This happens because both are given the same IP address by the DHCP server and since they have the same IP address once one device grabs the net all the others are not able to use.
For example, if I turn on the PS3 and access the net, then connect my laptop and access the net I can't. Why? Because on the laptop, dhcpcd returns:
Code:
# dhcpcd eth0
Error, eth0: ARPOP_REPLY received from 10.242.51.22 (00:19:c5:a5:d3:06)

Where 00:19:c5:a5:d3:06 is the mac addr of the PS3.

Is there a solution to this?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

Last edited by pmatos on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
knifeyspoony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paulo,

You need a router instead of a switch. To find out why, do a Google search on "router vs. switch".

Edit: I naively assumed you were connecting the switch directly to your modem. Is that the case?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some modems have a limit of how many devices can be plugged into it directly. check with your isp. if they say the limit is one, then you need a router.

cheers

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the solution is definitely a router.

Thanks for your comments!
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy a router: you may be able to use your Gentoo system as a router. If you do, it will need two NICs: one for the connection to your ISP and one for the connection to your local device(s). Also, you will need the Gentoo system powered on whenever any of the devices needs network access. If you can live with these requirements, you save on buying a router and get a routing device that is (in my opinion) more flexible than most consumer-grade routers.

Feel free to ask for help if you decide to go this route and want guidance on how to configure the machine to route traffic.
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Before you buy a router: you may be able to use your Gentoo system as a router. If you do, it will need two NICs: one for the connection to your ISP and one for the connection to your local device(s). Also, you will need the Gentoo system powered on whenever any of the devices needs network access. If you can live with these requirements, you save on buying a router and get a routing device that is (in my opinion) more flexible than most consumer-grade routers.

Feel free to ask for help if you decide to go this route and want guidance on how to configure the machine to route traffic.

Unfortunately my main machine is my laptop which doesn't have two NICs although that route would definitely be viable.
However, the lack of NICs makes the solution impossible. :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: