View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love gentoo too. And I know that the gentoo programmers are doing a really great job. And I am very grateful for this. The problem is not here.

The files in /boot and /lib/modules are not managed by portage. I would really like to have a portage setting that would let me choose if I want that portage manage or not the old kernel sources. In other words, why is it necessary to use another syntax as the usual "emerge <package>" with the kernel related packages in order to not get system breakage?

Another correct way for me would be if portage would check if the kernel is present in /boot and/or /lib/modules and remove the sources only if the kernel is not installed.

This should also be extended to external kernel modules like the alsa driver or the nvidia driver. Why, with the default syntax, is portage removing the old versions when the related kernels are still installed? It is pure non sens !
benny1967
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this thread today because I noticed a strange behavior when I tried to emerge sys-apps/v86d-0.1.3-r1

The (shortened) error is:
Code:
* Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Could not find a Makefile in the kernel source directory.
 * Please ensure that /usr/src/linux points to a complete set of Linux sources

I was shocked! Then I realized that this was due to emerge --depclean having deleted my currently used kernel sources, the ones /usr/src/linux links to.

This should not happen. It is not reasonable to manually protect whatever kernel version you currently use from depclean, as other ebuilds follow the symlink to look whats there. I guess it would be more logical to consider whatever /usr/src/linux links to a needed dependency for this very reason.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, I can keep old kernel sources by adding them into /var/lib/portage/world. I don't like this, but it work.

But what about external kernel modules like the nvidia driver. Each time I or portage want to emerge the nvidia driver, portage want to remove the old version, and that even when it is the same version, but compiled for another kernel.

Is it some way to keep the version of the nvidia (or alsa or whatever external one) driver compiled for another kernel?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: