Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryker wrote:
Hmm. I guess he's still working on the LAMP seed. It was a Google SOC project.
http://code.google.com/p/seed-linux/wiki/SeedsLampServer

Last updated on May 20th and he uses Gentoo 2007.0.

This raises good possibilities of resurrecting the seeds project.

Hmm this is weird apparently he is working outside of Gentoo now?
ryker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. It said in his blog when he resigned from Gentoo that he was going to continue to work on the LAMP seed. Apparently, he uses it where he works.
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help as well. I'm a compiling addict, well not really, but I enjoy it. I suggest some optimized builds as well. I mean that make.conf is pretty bare.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baigsabeeh wrote:
I can help as well. I'm a compiling addict, well not really, but I enjoy it. I suggest some optimized builds as well. I mean that make.conf is pretty bare.

I think it is meant to be that way. You can "optimize" yourself for your box.
ryker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be kept pretty standard so that users don't have any issues when submitting bugs. If we get all crazy with the USE flags, CFLAGS, etc, then bugs will just get marked invalid.
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I get your point. Let me know if you need any help.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryker wrote:
I think it should be kept pretty standard so that users don't have any issues when submitting bugs. If we get all crazy with the USE flags, CFLAGS, etc, then bugs will just get marked invalid.

Exactly, we want to enhance the Gentoo project not provide them with extra work :wink:.

@All
Wat about this section in make.conf? would like to support as many devices out of the box as possible. As far as I know this hasn't any adverse side effect. And what about the setting between 'brackets' (*)? Why is that?

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev joystick keyboard mouse acecad aiptek calcomp citron digitaledge dmc dynapro elo2300 elographics fpit hyperpen jamstudio magellan microtouch mutouch palmax penmount spaceorb summa synaptics tek4957 ur98 vmmouse void wacom"
VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia vesa apm ark chips cirrus cyrix dummy epson fbdev fglrx glint i128 i740 i810 (impact) imstt mach64 -mga neomagic (newport) nsc r128 radeon rendition s3 s3virge savage siliconmotion sis sisusb (sunbw2) (suncg14) (suncg3) (suncg6) (sunffb) (sunleo) (suntcx) tdfx tga trident tseng v4l vga via vmware voodoo"
ryker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:

@All
Wat about this section in make.conf? would like to support as many devices out of the box as possible. As far as I know this hasn't any adverse side effect. And what about the setting between 'brackets' (*)? Why is that?

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev joystick keyboard mouse acecad aiptek calcomp citron digitaledge dmc dynapro elo2300 elographics fpit hyperpen jamstudio magellan microtouch mutouch palmax penmount spaceorb summa synaptics tek4957 ur98 vmmouse void wacom"
VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia vesa apm ark chips cirrus cyrix dummy epson fbdev fglrx glint i128 i740 i810 (impact) imstt mach64 -mga neomagic (newport) nsc r128 radeon rendition s3 s3virge savage siliconmotion sis sisusb (sunbw2) (suncg14) (suncg3) (suncg6) (sunffb) (sunleo) (suntcx) tdfx tga trident tseng v4l vga via vmware voodoo"

i92guboj mentioned quite a few posts ago, don't even specify INPUT_DEVICES or VIDEO_CARDS and it will compile for all of them.
Sounds like the best choice to me.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryker wrote:
Aniruddha wrote:

@All

i92guboj mentioned quite a few posts ago, don't even specify INPUT_DEVICES or VIDEO_CARDS and it will compile for all of them.

The problem is that *I think* that way portage will build really ALL drivers. It is not harmful to have them all, in fact, it is desirable, but there's the problem I talked of before: licenses. The nvidia driver is not redistributable.

So, you will need to include a VIDEO_CARDS line that will build all but that driver.

You don't need to put the ones into parentheses. The parentheses mean that they are set by the profile, and you can't change them anyway. So, just rip them off that line.
voxiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
The nvidia driver is not redistributable.

So, you will need to include a VIDEO_CARDS line that will build all but that driver.

I believe fglrx is not redistributable either. However Sabayon had shipped them both somehow for a long time now. But I don't know which tricks they use to work around those drivers' licenses.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voxiac wrote:
i92guboj wrote:
The nvidia driver is not redistributable.

I believe fglrx is not redistributable either. However Sabayon had shipped them both somehow for a long time now. But I don't know which tricks they use to work around those drivers' licenses.

I am not familir with the licenses, I am not much into any kind of license. But I think that you can distribute the packages as long as you don't modify them. Said in clearer words: you can include the original packages into your stage cd, and compile them at boot time, which I think it is what Sabayon does. You can't distribute the drivers in an already compiled form, but nothing stops you from automating the compilation process for them to be built while you are booting a livecd.

In case Sabayon doesn't do it this way, they are violating a license, I suppose.

That is out of the scope of this stage, anyway, since it do not need those drivers at boot time. I suppose they could be included as distfiles, though.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I'll remove the nvidia and fglrx drivers. Are there any other (proprietary) drivers that might need removing?
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am almost done with the default settings for the stage 4 I have added a new section about 'Building the stage 4'. let me know what you think!

Quote:
Building the stage 4
# rm /etc/ssh/ssh_host*
A stage4.excl with the following content:
Code:
.bash_history
/dev/*
/etc/ssh/ssh_host_*
/home/*
/mnt/*
/media/*
/lost+found
/proc/*
/sys/*
/tmp/*
/usr/src/*
/usr/portage/*
/var/tmp/*
/path/to/save/at/stage4.tar.bz2

# tar cvjfp /path/to/save/at/stage4.tar.bz2 / -X stage4.excl

Update:

I would like to include
Code:
/usr/src/*
/usr/portage/*

Is this possible?
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you should include /usr/portage/* cause it'll be dated. On the subject of /usr/src/*, yes it's possible.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baigsabeeh wrote:
I don't think you should include /usr/portage/* cause it'll be dated. On the subject of /usr/src/*, yes it's possible.

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't an emerge --sync suffice to update portage? This is a whole lot easier then manually downloading the latest portage snapshot.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baigsabeeh wrote:

It depends. If you don't include portage then you will need additional setup, since you will not have a profile either, and you will not be able to emerge anything until then, I think.

If you include portage, then you can have a profile (which makes, sense, after all this is stage4, not 1) linked to /etc/make.profile, and a simple emerge --sync will give you the latest.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryker wrote:
Aniruddha wrote:

@All

you could always build them without merging them.... supply them as GRP packages
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
ryker wrote:
Aniruddha wrote:

@All

you could always build them without merging them.... supply them as GRP packages

Or remove the 'INPUT_DEVICES' and 'VIDEO_CARDS' from make.conf and set the 'bindist' USEflag. Would this be enough to prevent problems with licensing?
bindist
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
ryker wrote:
Aniruddha wrote:

@All

Or remove the 'INPUT_DEVICES' and 'VIDEO_CARDS' from make.conf and set the 'bindist' USEflag. Would this be enough to prevent problems with licensing?
bindist

I don't think so. The xorg-server ebuild completely ignores that flag.
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
baigsabeeh wrote:

It depends. If you don't include portage then you will need additional setup, since you will not have a profile either, and you will not be able to emerge anything until then, I think.

If you include portage, then you can have a profile (which makes, sense, after all this is stage4, not 1) linked to /etc/make.profile, and a simple emerge --sync will give you the latest.

Yeah, that's definitely a possibility.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
Aniruddha wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
ryker wrote:
Aniruddha wrote:

@All

bindist

I don't think so. The xorg-server ebuild completely ignores that flag.

Ok, then I'll leave INPUT_DEVICES' and 'VIDEO_CARDS' settings in make.conf. GRP is something for phase 2 (binhost)
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@baigsabeeh
That is good to know :)

@All

-I would like to protect the stage 4 with Gnupg. What would be the best way to achieve this?
-What would be the the best way to manage these stage4's? I was thinking of setting up a chroot. Or are there other ways?
-I understand that I have to copy resolv.conf and passwd as well mount several virtual file systems. How do I keep the chroot clean? Do I need to remove resolv.conf and passwd?
-Is a setting a root password mandatory?
-I would like to include the /dev directory, after all the stage3 comes with a /dev directory too. Is this possible?

contents of stage3 /dev
Code:
~/Chroot/dev $ ls -l
total 32
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha   15 Nov 12 15:28 MAKEDEV -> ../sbin/MAKEDEV
drwxr-xr-x 2 aniruddha aniruddha 4096 Apr 20  2007 ataraid
drwxr-xr-x 2 aniruddha aniruddha 4096 Apr 20  2007 cciss
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha   11 Nov 12 15:28 core -> /proc/kcore
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha   13 Nov 12 15:28 fd -> /proc/self/fd
drwxr-xr-x 2 aniruddha aniruddha 4096 Apr 20  2007 i2o
drwxr-xr-x 2 aniruddha aniruddha 4096 Apr 20  2007 ida
drwxr-xr-x 2 aniruddha aniruddha 4096 Apr 20  2007 input
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    5 Nov 12 15:26 mcdx -> mcdx0
drwxr-xr-x 2 aniruddha aniruddha 4096 Apr 20  2007 pts
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    6 Nov 12 15:26 radio -> radio0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 ram -> ram1
drwxr-xr-x 2 aniruddha aniruddha 4096 Apr 20  2007 rd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    6 Nov 12 15:26 sbpcd -> sbpcd0
drwxr-xr-x 2 aniruddha aniruddha 4096 Apr 20  2007 shm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 sr0 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 sr1 -> scd1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    5 Nov 12 15:26 sr10 -> scd10
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    5 Nov 12 15:26 sr11 -> scd11
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    5 Nov 12 15:26 sr12 -> scd12
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    5 Nov 12 15:26 sr13 -> scd13
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    5 Nov 12 15:26 sr14 -> scd14
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    5 Nov 12 15:26 sr15 -> scd15
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    5 Nov 12 15:26 sr16 -> scd16
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 sr2 -> scd2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 sr3 -> scd3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 sr4 -> scd4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 sr5 -> scd5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 sr6 -> scd6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 sr7 -> scd7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 sr8 -> scd8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 sr9 -> scd9
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 stderr -> fd/2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 stdin -> fd/0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 stdout -> fd/1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 vbi -> vbi0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    4 Nov 12 15:26 vcs -> vcs0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    5 Nov 12 15:26 vcsa -> vcsa0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aniruddha aniruddha    6 Nov 12 15:26 video -> video0

Update
I just send this message to the gentoo-dev mailing list:

Quote:
Hi,

I am interested in resurrecting the 'seeds' project ( http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/seeds/ ). I first heard from it when I announced my stage 4 project ( https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-610904-highlight-.html ).
It's is important to know that it is my intention to stay as close as possible to the original stage 3. Every change will be documented.

I expect to build the first stage 4 this week and I really would like to see these stage 4's to be used to get the seeds project started again. How can we make this possible?

Regards,

Aniruddha

Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Seeds project: there is nothing to resurrect AFAIK, the project never took off. If you want to make this an official Gentoo project you should talk to our Release engineering team.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Re Seeds project: there is nothing to resurrect AFAIK, the project never took off. If you want to make this an official Gentoo project you should talk to our Release engineering team.

Thanks for the tip. I have subscribed to #gentoo-releng and the gentoo-releng mailing list.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and about your make.conf: Is there a specific reason why you picked that mirror for GENTOO_MIRRORS? Picking a single mirror for something that's supposed to be released to the public generally isn't a good idea. I'd recommend to not set GENTOO_MIRRORS in make.conf so portage will use it's default selection, similar for SYNC where you're just using the default rotation anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: