Possible bug in checkroot script/mount? [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.A.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Possible bug in checkroot script/mount? [solved] Reply with quote

I have recently installed a gentoo system using a stage3 2007.0 hardened, i686.
The computer has two SATA disks (nv driver) and I set up a raid 1 for every partition. The root partition is formatted with ext3.

Now the problem is, during the booting process, just after the fsck of the root partition, it fails to remount it read/write. It asks for the root password for maintenance, so I type it and I run (/dev/md1 is my root partition):
Code:

mount /dev/md1 / -o remount

Hit ctrl+D and the boot process contiues without problems. I have emerged baselayout to the latest stable version but with no results.

Could you give me any clues?

Thank you.

Last edited by M.A. on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:37 am; edited 2 times in total
merlijn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you please post the contents of your /etc/fstab?

Code:
ROOT="/mnt/coffeecup/" USE="sugar extra-sugar milk" emerge --update --deep --verbose --oneshot coffee
M.A.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure
Code:

/dev/md0                /boot           ext3            noauto,noatime,data=journal     1 2
/dev/md1                /               ext3            noatime,data=journal            0 1

/dev/md2                /var            ext3            noatime,data=journal            0 0
/dev/md5                /usr/portage    ext3            noatime,data=journal            0 0
/dev/md7                none            swap            sw                              0 0
/dev/md9                /var/www        ext3            noatime,data=journal            0 0
/dev/md8                /var/webapps    reiserfs        noatime,notail                  0 0

/dev/md10               /var/log        xfs             noatime,nosuid,nodev            0 0
/dev/md6                /home           reiserfs        noatime,notail                  0 0
/dev/md3                /temp           ext2            noatime,nosuid,nodev            0 0

/dev/md11               /detodo         ext3            noatime,noauto                  0 0

/temp/tmp               /tmp            auto            bind                            0 0
/temp/vartmp            /var/tmp        auto            bind                            0 0

proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                        0 0

/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      audo            noauto,ro       0 0
#/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto          0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm                     /dev/shm        tmpfs           nodev,nosuid,noexec     0 0
M.A.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Possible bug in checkroot init script? Reply with quote

I have found where the problem is but still I cannot understand why it happens.

In the init script 'checkroot', at line 77 (baselayout version 1.12.9-r2) I found the problem. When it tries to execute it, it fails as showed below:
Code:
mount -n -o remount,rw / &> /dev/null
mount: / not mounted already, or bad option
#(error code 32)

Now, just a little modification to this line solves for me the problem:
Code:
mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/md1 / &> /dev/null

It is not that my fstab is wrong, because the root fs has been mounted with the options I put into the fstab (noatime,data=journal) which are not the default for an ext3 filesystem.

Once the system has started, if I try the same operation as the original checkroot init script, I get the same error. But the funny thing is that this happens only with the root partition. With the others, I can run a 'mount -o remount' just indicating the mount point (and not the device) and everything is fine.

Should I report a bug? Any clues?
M.A.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to update this thread. Solved just looking at 'man mount' (yes, RTFM is what I needed):
Code:
Mount options for ext3
       data=journal / data=ordered / data=writeback
              Specifies  the  journalling  mode  for file data.  Metadata is always
              journaled.  To use modes other than ordered on the root file system,
              pass the mode to the kernel as boot parameter, e.g.  rootflags=data=journal
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: