reinstall bad super block
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBrick2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: reinstall bad super block Reply with quote

Hello,

I am just having to reinstall Gentoo due to some strange goings on with my laptop. This install is not going as soothly as the first one. The only thing I altered was to change my root partition from reiserfs to ext3 as when I downloaded the new sources package it said something about a problem with resier 4 and I had that problem when installing Gentoo onto my desktop.

I am running genkernel 2.6.22 release 9.

First problem is when booting the system gets to

Determining root device
Block device /dev/sda9 is not a valid root device The root block device is unspecified or not detected.

so I try /dev/hda9 , even though my hard drive is sata? but it carries on after this.

My grub.config
Code:

default 0

timeout 30

#splashimage=(hd0,10) /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

#vga= 791
splash=silent

title Gentoo Linux 2.6

root (hd0,10)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.22-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real root=/dev/sda9 udev vga=791

initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.22-gentoo-r9

title=Windows XP

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

makeactive
chainloader+1

I guess it is complaining about root=/dev/sda9 but I thought you used usual notation for this argument?

The start up then carries on for a bit gets to

Code:
checking root file system fsck.ext3:No such file sytemor dir while trting to open /dev/sda9 /dev/sda9:

The superblock could not be read or does not describe correct ext2 file system. If the device is valid and it reall does contain an ext2 file system then the super block is corrupt. Try efsck with an alternate super block.

e2fsck -b 8193 <dev>

so I try

Code:

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda9

bad magic number in super block

I don't understand this as I can mount the root partition from the live cd no problems. As mentioned above I had a similar problem when installing Gentoo on my desktop. I just changed the file system from reiserfs to ext3 and all worked well. I have changed the file system on the to root partition on this laptop to ext3 as well but I am still getting this problem. Can't make sense of most of the stuff I have found googling so any idea would be welcome.

Many Thanks

Tommy
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrick2,

I guess you have an Intel ICHx where x>6 chipset ?

If so, your kernel contains both SATA and PATA drivers and because of the shared controls in the ICH chipset, everything appears as PATA.
Post back with your lspci please

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
TheBrick2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for the speedy reply

here is lspci

Code:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
06:05.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)
06:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
06:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller
06:09.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
06:09.3 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
06:09.4 Class 0805: Texas Instruments PCI6411/6421/6611/6621/7411/7421/7611/7621 Secure Digital Controller

So you are super quick and correct!

I have lspci -v in a file as well if you need any more info.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrick2,

The fix is to use only SCSI and SATA support in your kernel. Your IDE CDROM will become /dev/sr0 but you don't normally need to know that as udev will create the correct symlinks.
Turn off
Code:
< > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support  --->
or anything and everything in that menu. The IDE kernel branch is no longer needed.
Inside
Code:
SCSI device support  ---> choose
[*] legacy /proc/scsi/ support
<*> SCSI disk support
<M> SCSI CDROM support
<M> SCSI generic support
the SCSI disk support must be built in for booting but modules or built in works for the others.
Under
Code:
<*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers  --->
choose only
Code:
<*>   Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4 PATA/SATA support
Its essential that all the PATA options are off, even the one you think you need for your CDROM. You need built in here for booting, not Module.

Rebuild and boot into your new kernel. Your SATA will be back to /dev/sd[a..z] and your CDROM will be /dev/sr0
It should all just work

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
TheBrick2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for such a full reply! That is excellent. I will give it ago and let you know how I get on.

T
TheBrick2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks NeddySeagoon that worked like a charm.

I geuss what happened is the kernal was tryinf to use ide and sata drivers to access the hard drive? What about the PATA stuff, what does that do and why did it need to be turned off? Does that cause the kernal to try two diffrent ways of accessing the hard drive.

May I ask how you worked this out? Is it a know problem with this chipset or is there a good place or google surch which you did that pointed you in the direction for this infomation?

Sorry for all the extra questions I would just like to under stand the solution more rather than just take it and not know why it works.

T
nelsooon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks, i'm on a thinkpad t43 gentoo-sources.
i had the same problems.
i'm recompiling my kernel.
i'll give you a feedback after reboot.
question: is there any FULL manual for compiling kernel options ? with examples... (i'v seen the gentoo HOWTO compile kernel man, but it doesn't explain ALL kernel options).
thanks
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrick2,

Normally you would need PATA drivers for your CDROM and SATA drivers for your hard drive.
This is not normally a problem because the PATA and SATA chips on your motherboard are completely separate.
They may well be on the same silicon chip but the idea is preserved.

Starting with the ICH6 chipset, Intel began to combine the PATA and SATA control functions. Until the kernel caught up,
this meant that you could have SATA or PATA but not both at the same time properly. Recent kernels set up both parts of the interface correctly using just the option under the ATA kernel branch ... see it has SATA/PATA in its name. Older kernels had a half way house, where you were required to choose the SATA and PATA under ATA and turn off the IDE branch to flip a hidden kernel config option CONFIG_INTEL_COMBINED (from memory) that achieved the same effect. Before that the ICH6 chipset was a problem.

What you see now is the way of the future. The IDE kernel branch will not be used and its functionality will be moved into libata.
Eventually, PATA (IDE) devices will appear as /dev/sd... too.

CD writers are a little bit special. They use the AT Attachment Packet Interface (ATAPI), which is just a subset of normal SCSI commands over the PATA bus, so moving them under SCSI is a fairly natural thing to do. If you remember CD writing under the 2.4 kernel, its the way that CD writers were controlled then but it was not quite as seemless as it is now.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
TheBrick2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon thanks for the extra info.
Nadriel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that's why it didn't recognize. I was about to try removing PATA support, but I couldn't figure out how my CD drive would have been recognized.. This post cleared that thing also.

Thanks A Bunch!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: