Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spire wrote:
Finally, is there a way of accomplishing the opposite of USE="-*", and including everything to see what options you have with a particular package?

Well you still see the options with -vp just with a '-' in front of the flag.

BTW I haven't tried USE="*"...
deepthought
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhenlin wrote:

I agree, somewhat. In order to maintain compatibility, I suggest instead a ?USE flag that will enable only if the associated package is installed.

This behaviour would annoy me.

Think of mldonkey. The package uses gtk+-<something>. It is very likely that at some point during installation gtk has been already installed. But, hey, I'm a KDE user, don't want the mldonkey gtk frontend although gtk is already installed. I just want the server. Nothing more.

As far as I understand, the "?<something>" USE flag makes only sense if this is the default behaviour -- else newbies won't win anything, except that portage is getting even more difficult to understand and they'll have to read even more documentation.

If you don't consider this the default behaviour, it's a nice goodie, but not necessary -- per-package USE flags would be a more general facility.

BTW, does anyone know about the per-package USE flags status of portage?

Regards,
Alexander
Registered Linux User #317705
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per package use flags can be easily hacked into portage. First, some code at the end of a successful compile to dump the extra USE flags into the database. Then, some code before the emerge to read the extra USE flags in.

But also, think of the problems this might cause. You never know where additional USE flags are coming from, whether they are from the per-package settings, or from the per-package history.

You can change the defaults to ?use instead of just use. Merely edit make.globals; but the default behaviour shouldn't be changed. When I say USE="X", I expect the program to be compiled with X support, compiling Xfree as a dependency as needed.

Per package USE could eventually become hell when you lose track of it all...

As for the mldonkey scenario...

You could specify -gtk and it would still be compiled without GTK+ support, even though GTK+ is installed. On the other hand, if you didn't change the defaults, it would be ?gtk and would only be compiled with GTK+ support, if the dev-ml/lablgtk package is installed. (mldonkey's DEPEND states that dev-ml/lablgtk is required, not x11-libs/gtk+) (lablgtk is only used by this and net-misc/unison, it will be unlikely that it is already installed) Or, if it was specified as gtk, the dev-ml/lablgtk and x11-libs/gtk+ will be installed if neccessary.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: