Has anyone had issues with 'shutdown -r'/reboot mdd G4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Has anyone had issues with 'shutdown -r'/reboot mdd G4 Reply with quote

I built a new kernel and tried to reboot to test it with
Code:
/sbin/shutdown -r now
Needless to say, that did not work as I expected. Instead of the system going down and starting back up, I was staring at a blank screen as the fan revved. I had to hold down the power button to stop that.

On startup I would keep getting the blank screen and the <caps-lock> key was on with the keyboard dead. None of the apple open firmware commands were accessible.

After powering on/off a few times with no change I went to google. Nothing there was directly applicable, but did jog my memory about a technique to recover from a power failure. I pressed down the power button on the box and simultaneously pulled the power cord. Afterwards everything seems to startup normally.

EDIT: I realize that every other time I rebooted was either from a console or using the GUI provided button. This was the first time I ever rebooted this system from a window manager using an xterm.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which kernel? Does it happen with the older kernel, or only the new kernel?
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older kernel, 2.6.22.9, only the one time. Had been using it for the last month. Haven't tried manual reboot with new kernel, which seems to work otherwise. Suspect shutdown scripts, maybe in combination with new ide drivers? I had read that there was a problem with parking the disk heads in some scenarios, but thought that was with sata drives.

I'm not happy with trying to deliberately crash the system if it is a hard drive issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: