n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out linuxgames.com

i guess telex4 did a good job :)
dermot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing HL2 and Doom3 is like comparing apples and oranges, because although they are both first-person shooters, they each occupy (or will occupy) a different space in the market. Doom3 appears to basically be a first-person survival horror and is probably going for a slower, more thoughtful pace, punctuated with frantic outbursts of violence and action.

Half-Life 2 appears to be 'more of the same' albeit in a good, wholesome way: more running, more gunning, more innovations and more pre-apocalyptic, post-cold war paranoia.

As for the petition - I'm not going to sign it because, franly, I don't think it's worth the bother. On-line petitions aren't worth the paper they're not written on, unfortunately. Half Life will never be open-sourced, because it has made and continues to make Valve shitloads of money. It will never be ported to Linux either, because - as someone else pointed out - it makes far too much use of DirectX. It's quite possible that HL2 will be ported to Linux without any clamouring by Linux-based fans.

I bought some rock star ashes from the back of Rolling Stone
I don't think he would've minded - he couldn't sell his soul
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Number of entries to date Reply with quote

There are now just under 900 confirmed entries in the database. This is a great start, but we need a lot more.

There are about 400 entries which are yet unconfirmed (Link in confirming e-mail was never clicked). Browsing through the database, it's fairly shocking to see how many people have used fairly obvious fake addresses...

-Ribs.
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its based on Quake I's engine and both Quake I and II are open sourced.

sindre wrote:
Half-life is based on id software's quake 2 graphic engine. Quake 2 isn't opensourced yet right? I don't think half-life can be opensourced without the graphics engine.

I wouldn't be too surprised to se ID opensource quake2 though.

signed
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open sourcing Quake I and II is what allows ID to continue to make money off those old releases. (although very little, ID makes more money on licensing I think) The fact that the opened the source code to the engine does not mean the content itself is open sourced. It doesn't mean people stop buying the game. You still need the .pak files. That being said, notice that Quake II compiles on like 30 different platforms now instead of just Mac,Linux, and Windows when it was originally released. People with those ill supported operating systems need the pak files so they have to go buy the game.

The Quake II community is still very alive and a high percentage of the players are running linux or some other unix.

There is nothing in the Half-Life engine that makes it special now adays. The content is what was so amazing. If they release the source then we could at least have Half-Life 1 on linux, freebsd, OS X, etc.

dermot wrote:

As for the petition - I'm not going to sign it because, franly, I don't think it's worth the bother. On-line petitions aren't worth the paper they're not written on, unfortunately. Half Life will never be open-sourced, because it has made and continues to make Valve shitloads of money. It will never be ported to Linux either, because - as someone else pointed out - it makes far too much use of DirectX. It's quite possible that HL2 will be ported to Linux without any clamouring by Linux-based fans.
Daantje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed it :D
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dermot wrote:

You may have a point it could be in vain, but seriously how much effort does it take, why not even try really thats just being self-defeating because of a stubbern view.

Acually quake1 and 2 sales went up when they were open sourced. The art is not open sourced , just the engine so you still need to buy the cd for the data files and such. I think the same goes for even Castle Wolfenstein the original.
Dracnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed and confirmed :D
refriedbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed :D
dermot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it's a waste of time (sorry Ribs). I mean look at Ribs' last post:
Quote:
Browsing through the database, it's fairly shocking to see how many people have used fairly obvious fake addresses...

This is exactly why on-line petitions aren't taken seriously by... well, anyone, really.

They're too easy to sign (people therefore don't even have to feel that strongly about whatever they are putting their 'name' to). They're too easy to sign using an alias or false email address or worse, someone else's email address (and I appreciate that Ribs seems to have some kind of email confirmation system in place). And finally, they're too easy to fake (random email address generator, random name generator, simple script that grabs names and email addresses from random web-pages).

'Real' petitions are had to get taken seriously, so virtual ones can only be worse.

Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dermot wrote:

They're too easy to sign using an alias or false email address or worse, someone else's email address (and I appreciate that Ribs seems to have some kind of email confirmation system in place). And finally, they're too easy to fake (random email address generator, random name generator, simple script that grabs names and email addresses from random web-pages).

Unconfirmed entries will be removed on a periodic basis and will not be included in anything sent to Valve.

-Ribs.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribs: did you find me in the database ?
generalgherk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

i too wish hl (specifically cs) had a native linux port like quake 3 does but you really shouldn't have asked for opensource imo.. it'll make it easy for them to laugh both ideas off because the latter is unrealistic
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm Reply with quote

How can you say its unrealistic? The technology is obsolete. I think open sourcing (this does not mean HL becomes free) the engine would extend its life even further. Its also a seperate part of the actual petition. It would also spawn an OSX and Linux port in about 2 days probably. Not to mention the dedicated server code.

generalgherk wrote:
i too wish hl (specifically cs) had a native linux port like quake 3 does but you really shouldn't have asked for opensource imo.. it'll make it easy for them to laugh both ideas off because the latter is unrealistic
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm Reply with quote

SQLBoy wrote:
How can you say its unrealistic? The technology is obsolete. I think open sourcing (this does not mean HL becomes free) the engine would extend its life even further. Its also a seperate part of the actual petition. It would also spawn an OSX and Linux port in about 2 days probably. Not to mention the dedicated server code.

yes, but, doesn't valve already give away their paks? for half-life linux server? if they made a client available for download, they would be giving away the game... dunno if I got this right
tagore
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed.
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole idea of this petition is flawed. What we really need to demand to Valve is that they stop being Microsoft sellouts. Valve has:

1) Took the Quake1 engine (a portability masterpiece) and filled it with DirectX-specific code to use it in Half-Life. Result: No Half-Life ports, since they made it basically unportable without metric tons of work.
2) Made a Direct3D-specific engine (called "Source") for Half-Life 2. Again, the chances of ports are automatically unlikely.

Valve is yet another company in the gaming industry who is sucking on Microsoft's *guess word here* on a regular basis.

Screw Half-Life 2 and that damn "Source" engine, my money is on DOOM III, a game that wasn't designed by a bunch of Microsoft sellouts who can't figure out that they are screwing up the entire Mac/Linux gaming market by going "Microsoft's way".
RedPingüim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

signed... 8)
opera 9 build 1635 (gentoo 2006.0; gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r7, gnome 2.12.2) - Linux user #293485 - Opera Fórum em Português
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another :wink:

Cheers
Dale.
dermot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntergalacticWalrus:
Quote:
Valve is yet another company in the gaming industry who is sucking on Microsoft's *guess word here* on a regular basis.

'Coincidentally', Valve was founded by ex-Microsoft employees (Gabe Newell et al). Surely it's not that surprising that they are still loyal to Microsoft?

SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck that. Valve owes the Linux community a port. Linux hackers created AdminMod, Metamod, and a host of other 3rd party utilities for Half-Life servers that ran on Linux. That fact they went all DirectX even after what the Linux community has done for them is shameful.
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Slashdot Reply with quote

I tried posting to Slashdot too, to no avail. I was going to try to post to games.slashdot.org, but I think stuff just gets posted there from the main site based on content. Maybe we should try emailing Ryan Gordon, to see what he thinks about porting it, he'd certainly be capable enough if he had the source.
I just hate the way companies refuse to release this stuff, I mean, what do they have to lose? Its an old game, with an antiquated graphics engine, that they could probably sell a couple thousand more compies of if they just open sourced the engine. I guess they just sold their souls to the devil...
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Slashdot Reply with quote

kosamae wrote:
I tried posting to Slashdot too, to no avail. I was going to try to post to games.slashdot.org, but I think stuff just gets posted there from the main site based on content. Maybe we should try emailing Ryan Gordon, to see what he thinks about porting it, he'd certainly be capable enough if he had the source.
I just hate the way companies refuse to release this stuff, I mean, what do they have to lose? Its an old game, with an antiquated graphics engine, that they could probably sell a couple thousand more compies of if they just open sourced the engine. I guess they just sold their souls to the devil...

who's Ryan Gordon? and btw... if we really wanna do this, then let's start hassling them... I say we write up an e-mail asking for a Half-Life 1/2 port for linux and propose several options in case they dont want to do it... say... we could propose they hand it over to icculus (if he'd be willing to accept), or simply make it open source... and we should ask for valid reasons as to why they dont want to release a linux port... and not enough consumers is NOT an excuse
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Gordon is icculus, and I agree, lets start flooding Valve with emails, and make them see that the linux gaming community is a force to be reckoned with.
dsd
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: with regard to publicity Reply with quote

did anyone think of submitting it to the GWN?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: