View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverpig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porting HL2 will probably be a big big job. It's a directx game with no opengl support. Half-life 1 shouldn't be that hard as it's got opengl.

Here's hoping anyways.
Polden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed..
w33zl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as someone mentioned a while ago, valve is a bit 'slow',especially when compared to other co's.
that don't mean that the code cannot be obtained thru other means, as we have seen recently ...
anyway, for what it counts, you have my vote. :lol:
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed.

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
blaksaga
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I have not been impressed by valve or their software. I am still in favor of a port but I will stick to ET and doom 3 when it comes out :)
mr.twemlow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed.

Gentium--A typeface for the nations: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1351563
izaq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

signed
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i support the cause but it's kind of a long shot trying to get Valve to develop for linux. The lead dev used to work for Microsoft and HL2 is completely DX9.
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i checked the half life 2 port to linux and that i would pre-order if it was going to be ported
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is a follow-up to my previous post. As it seems some people are wondering where this project is going.

Basically, the project is dead in the water right now. Valve are ignoreing my efforts, so I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

In my last post, I expressed an interest in setting up a Linux gaming website/portal/THING. I have recently had a couple of messages regarding this. So I think this needs to be addressed too. I began work on this site a couple of days ago. I've used the very powerfull Drupal portal system to power the whole thing, as starting a php site of such a nature from scratch would take several months to complete. Basically, I am wondering if it's worth finishing setting up such a site. I want to gauge what the interest would be. And so, I'm asking the Gentoo community again if there would be interest in this site.

If/When it's launched, I aim it to be a community driven site. Users will be able to submit reviews (hardware or software) guides, news, polls etc. The site would also have an IRC channel for real time communication.

There would be two differences between my site, and existing ones. Firstly, my site would concentrate on major games. This means games that are in a stable state, playable, and activey developed. Games like UT2004 would be a prime example. But free games like enemy-territory would also qualify. Things like MyShootEmUp (made up name) version 0.0.0.1, or TuxRacer would not. These games seem have very limited scope, and are not ideally the kind of thing I would want content on (however, it's up to who posts what, really).

Secondly, the community would have a big say in the site's content, and how it's run. Drupal has a very nice system for this, and I think it would fit well into what I'm trying to achieve. Example: Someone writes a story, it appears on the front page, users can then contribute comments on the story. If the story stays popular, it will be on the front page for a long time.

Basically, I want to know if anyone here would want such a site, and would be interested in contributing (I also need graphics if anyone is interested in doing them, I cannot pay you, however).
meetra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

signed
GabiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed.
Artem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea on the site, hope you finish it!
SbrubblesMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea on the site! If i can help you in any way, just send me an e-mail at "andreban at datasus dot gov dot br".
I think that the best thing on the site is to put all the Linux Gaming community together so we can have more power!

André
Tadashi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope, valve give the planned site a look^^

and for porting pessimists:

Quote:

Hi Rick,

please tell me how deep Windows-components are integrated in HL2(except DirectX and WinAPI).
Use a scale from 1(like "Integrated? We programmed all the stuff alone") to 10(like "It can't run, when notepad isn't installed")

And what do you prefer: baseball bats or crowbars?

Thx and thumbs up for your work!

It's closer to 1 than 10 by a long way. Other than DirectX and some winAPI calls, I'm not aware of any others windows dependencies.

Crowbars don't break...

Rick

So don't lose hope!

Maybe a restart of the petition, but with the goal of "just" port the games instead of making open source?
Ah, before I forget, I already signed it last year.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your idea! I feel that Linux has really lacked a community website focusing on major commercial quality games. I don't want to insult the OSS gaming projects, they're alot of fun to play, and fill a major roll in Linux gaming. But alot of sites already cover OSS games. For now however commercial games are the bread and butter of the PC gaming industry, and Linux lacks a single resource for new commercial game announcements, reviews, and how-tos. Something akin to MacGamer, but more community oriented would be perfect.

If you made this kind of site I'd love to help, no promises (not sure what my schedule will be), but I'd help make artwork.

Ribs wrote:
Hi,

This is a follow-up to my previous post. As it seems some people are wondering where this project is going.

Basically, the project is dead in the water right now. Valve are ignoreing my efforts, so I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

In my last post, I expressed an interest in setting up a Linux gaming website/portal/THING. I have recently had a couple of messages regarding this. So I think this needs to be addressed too. I began work on this site a couple of days ago. I've used the very powerfull Drupal portal system to power the whole thing, as starting a php site of such a nature from scratch would take several months to complete. Basically, I am wondering if it's worth finishing setting up such a site. I want to gauge what the interest would be. And so, I'm asking the Gentoo community again if there would be interest in this site.

If/When it's launched, I aim it to be a community driven site. Users will be able to submit reviews (hardware or software) guides, news, polls etc. The site would also have an IRC channel for real time communication.

There would be two differences between my site, and existing ones. Firstly, my site would concentrate on major games. This means games that are in a stable state, playable, and activey developed. Games like UT2004 would be a prime example. But free games like enemy-territory would also qualify. Things like MyShootEmUp (made up name) version 0.0.0.1, or TuxRacer would not. These games seem have very limited scope, and are not ideally the kind of thing I would want content on (however, it's up to who posts what, really).

Secondly, the community would have a big say in the site's content, and how it's run. Drupal has a very nice system for this, and I think it would fit well into what I'm trying to achieve. Example: Someone writes a story, it appears on the front page, users can then contribute comments on the story. If the story stays popular, it will be on the front page for a long time.

Basically, I want to know if anyone here would want such a site, and would be interested in contributing (I also need graphics if anyone is interested in doing them, I cannot pay you, however).
[/url]
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreacted. I shall endevour to finish the site. As it stands, this is how the site looks right now (on slow server, be patient please):
http://riblet.plus.com/~ribs/newsite1.png

The banners are there in a vain attempt to help pay my 'net costs. I will never use pop-ups or anything nasty. They are plain .gif images.

As you can see, all the graphics are from a standard druapl theme. This desperately needs to be changed. I really like the whole blue look of things, so it's only a case of changeing the logo for now. If anyone would like to submit something they think would look nice there. It would really be a huge help. I would prefer it if the image was created in a Linux application (purely to show off to Windows people), preferably Gimp. But it doesn't really matter I guess.

Another thing we desperatly need is content... The screenshot shows the only content the site has right now, which I made when I was training myself to use Drupal (hey, every site needs a privacy policy). Anything would be good here. Game reviews, speed-up tips (I have a couple myself I'm going to add), linux news, wine(x) how-tos... anything would be good right now. If you feel you are up to it, send me a private message (via these forums).

Also, and this sounds fairly simple. The site needs a name. I would be able to purchase a domain if the site got popular. Right now, the site will be a simular (if not the same, haven't decided yet) address as the Half Life project page.

-Ribs.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Think of a name first, then artwork Reply with quote

It's hard to create anything but generic artwork if we don't have a name. I'm racking my brain for something you could use! If I create something good then it would be with cinepaint (A more user-friendly version of the Gimp). It's awesome that you're dedicated to this, hopefully everything will come together.

Off the top of my head,
www.lingamer.com (hopefully no one will associate that with Linspire)
The domain name is available!

Ribs wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreacted. I shall endevour to finish the site. As it stands, this is how the site looks right now (on slow server, be patient please):
http://riblet.plus.com/~ribs/newsite1.png

The banners are there in a vain attempt to help pay my 'net costs. I will never use pop-ups or anything nasty. They are plain .gif images.

As you can see, all the graphics are from a standard druapl theme. This desperately needs to be changed. I really like the whole blue look of things, so it's only a case of changeing the logo for now. If anyone would like to submit something they think would look nice there. It would really be a huge help. I would prefer it if the image was created in a Linux application (purely to show off to Windows people), preferably Gimp. But it doesn't really matter I guess.

Another thing we desperatly need is content... The screenshot shows the only content the site has right now, which I made when I was training myself to use Drupal (hey, every site needs a privacy policy). Anything would be good here. Game reviews, speed-up tips (I have a couple myself I'm going to add), linux news, wine(x) how-tos... anything would be good right now. If you feel you are up to it, send me a private message (via these forums).

Also, and this sounds fairly simple. The site needs a name. I would be able to purchase a domain if the site got popular. Right now, the site will be a simular (if not the same, haven't decided yet) address as the Half Life project page.

-Ribs.
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeah, I like lingamer a lot. Another name which has been suggested to me is gnuGamer, the guy also made up a very quick logo;
http://riblet.plus.com/~ribs/gnuGamer.jpg

Of course, this doesn't blend in well with the site, but give an idea of what he had in his mind, and he really likes the name.

I like both names. So prehaps it's a case of which is easier to create a logo for?

-Ribs.
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Site is now live. Reply with quote

Hi,

I offically love The Gimp. It allows even Art Rejects like myself to make an okay logo. So anyway, this is what I was able to create:
http://riblet.plus.com/~ribs/gnugamer.png

It's a very simple logo, and I'd love anything better anyone would be able to create.

The site is now live at http://riblet.plus.com

Be warned, at certain times the server may be slow. I have access to a lot of servers which have high bandwidth. If slow loading becomes a problem, I can very easily fix it.

Bascially, what I need is people to become involved in any way they can... Post content, talk on the forums and the IRC channel, write reviews, tips, how-to, tutorials. And importantly, tell your friends about the site.

I'm going to be working very hard on this site. With a lot of hard work, and a bit of luck, the site will become something to be proud of.

Regards,
-Ribs.
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small update.

It seems the site is having problems when new content is submitted. Please bear with my while I try to fix this...

-Ribs.
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribs wrote:
It seems the site is having problems when new content is submitted. Please bear with my while I try to fix this...

Fixed. Added first review as well.

-Ribs.
Goalie31()
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I added a review too

Nowhere near as long/indepth as yours but I think it still gets the point across :D

Join the unanswered post initiative

Laptop:

Pentium 4 2.8 ghz
512 MB of DDR ram
60 gig Hard Drive
SiS Video Chipset Thing :(
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the site is now active, and has content.

This will be my last post on the matter, as I'll probably get told off for spamming now.

Basically, the site is up and semi-active, I just really need visitors who are willing to contribute content now. We currently reviews on UT2004, Enemy Territory, America's Army and Steam. I'm hoping this site becomes as popular as the petition one. So people, visit the site, get an account, and start posting.

Regards,
-Ribs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: