PS3 - upgrading from 2.6.16-ps3 to ps3-sources-2.6.23
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strolls
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: PS3 - upgrading from 2.6.16-ps3 to ps3-sources-2.6.23 Reply with quote

Hi there,

Trying to get mplayer working optimally on my PS3 I have taken the advice of the developers of spu-medialib to try installing that. As I understand it this gives an SPU-accellerated plug-in for mplayer.

In the process of this I have unmerged sys-libs/libspe - installed as part of the base system when I installed using the March LiveCD - and upgraded to sys-libs/libspe2-2.2.80_p95-r1. I no longer have the `boot-game-os` command, which has been replaced by the `ps3-boot-game-os` command and when I run this I get the error "/dev/ps3flash: No such file or directory - ERROR: can't change boot flag". Googling this error leads me to a Ubuntu page which indicates /dev/ps3flash is new to later kernels.

So I would like to emerge ps3-sources-2.6.23.

A couple of quick questions:
  • Anyone got a working kernel .config for this, please? This would save me the effort of going through the whole `make oldconfig` sage and missing some important option as I do so.
  • I understand I need to change my /etc/fstab as explained in the Installing Gentoo on a PS3 article. Any other gotyas to look out for?
I'm using a 64-bit userspace, if it matters. I've never built a kernel on a 64-bit system before.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments,

Stroller.
DEaigo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too am chasing this... i tried do it myself and clearly missed something :/
strolls
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PS3 - upgrading from 2.6.16-ps3 to ps3-sources-2.6.23 Reply with quote

strolls wrote:
A couple of quick questions:
  • Anyone got a working kernel .config for this, please? This would save me the effort of going through the whole `make oldconfig` sage and missing some important option as I do so.

Ok, for the benefit of DEaigo, Google & others:

someone on IRC just told me about `make ps3_defconfig` - it's great! In the /usr/src/linux directory you just run `make ps3_defconfig` and it sets the default PS3 kernel options in your .config file.

Anyone got any other pointers for me, whilst this is compiling?

Stroller.
DEaigo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot-game-os no longer works. it appears that the program can't locate the ps3 drive :/.
strolls
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEaigo wrote:
boot-game-os no longer works. it appears that the program can't locate the ps3 drive :/.

This is covered in my original post - it's now `ps3-boot-game-os`.

If you've successfully installed the later kernel then I think it references the PS3's flash memory differently in /dev/ than the way the earlier kernel did.

I think that equery belongs `which boot-game-os` will tell you to unmerge sys-libs/libspe & upgrade sys-libs/libspe2 to a later version.

Stroller.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: