Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Automating the emerge process on another computer.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Automating the emerge process on another computer. Reply with quote

I've got a p133 laptop that I'd like to install gentoo on. but i'm dreading having to wait for the compile of every package whenever I install something new (Which is quite often) is there a way with a little script or something to be able to run emerge on the laptop (or some other program I guess) that will have my Tbird 800 Build the package with optimizataions for the laptop build it as a tar.bz2 transfer it to the laptop and extract it on the laptop? I would imageine it wouldn't be too complicated, but unfortunately its something i'm not quite good enough to do yet :)

I Realize that I can just ssh to the tbird machine and do the whole proces manually but I'd like to do it with one simple command (ie. foo-emerge mplayer)

if someone could maybe just explain how to run commands on another machine through ssh in a script i could write it myself. but I don't know how to do that. :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you wouldn't be better off with this in the programming forum.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking about that, and actually started typing it in there but then I realized that theres a chance that there is already a tool to do this, or possibly an option for emerge, or some other strange solution that might not be programming related. not to mention if someone else is looking to do something similar they may not htink to look in the programming forum :)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving to the programming forum...could also go in Gentoo Suggestions since, AFAIK, such a script does not exist yet.

There is someone (forget who) working on an automated gentoo setup process. Search the mailing list archives for more information.

--kurt
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that there are other things I didn't take into consideration regarding this setup. firstly is dependencies. If I want to install package 'foo' on my laptop (the p133) using the method I described above. the Tbird machine would report different dependencies than the laptop actually requires.

Maybe this could be done by running 'emerge --pretend foo'
on the laptop, then emerging running 'emerge --nodeps foo-dep' on the tbird for each of the dependencies listed, after each is finished, transfer it to the laptop. that complicates the situation a little more into something that I'm not too sure i can do myself.

any input/ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. maybe if I Get this done it can be my first real contribution to the gentoo comunity ;)

[/code]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: