Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Cookies and the paranoid delusions surrounding them. :)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Catwalk Reply with quote

dunbar wrote:
There goes that #$$%#@##$ timeout thing again!!!!

Is the time limit a user defined value? I can't find it anywhere, so please tell me where I can set it to a higher value.

Unfortunately it is not a user setting. I wish it were, I really hate losing unread posts to the timeout. :(
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There it is again ;)

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
dunbar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Catwalk Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
dunbar wrote:

Is the time limit a user defined value? I can't find it anywhere, so please tell me where I can set it to a higher value.

Unfortunately it is not a user setting. I wish it were, I really hate losing unread posts to the timeout. :(

unread = incomplete?
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Catwalk Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Just click on the "log me in automatically" checkbox the next time you login and you won't have that problem any more. (at least, I think it's called "log me in automatically" might be "remember me" -- been so long since I've had to log in that I forget :))

--kurt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Catwalk Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

Just click on the "log me in automatically" checkbox the next time you login and you won't have that problem any more. (at least, I think it's called "log me in automatically" might be "remember me" -- been so long since I've had to log in that I forget :))
--kurt

Personal choice not to set cookies. :oops:
I do this so people cannot post from this PC under my name, when I walk away from it... I'm at work, my boss still gets email sent to my email account from when he used it while I was away from the keyboard..... Windows. :roll:
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Catwalk Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I do this so people cannot post from this PC under my name, when I walk away from it

There's this nifty new feature called a "logout button". You'll see it in the upper right corner whenever you're logged in. :)

Or, do what I do and get in the habit of hitting ctrl-alt-delete and enter whenever you walk away from the computer. That locks your computer so no one else can do it.

Of course, if you're on Win9x, which doesn't have this feature, then you hvae my sympathies.

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Catwalk Reply with quote

dunbar wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
dunbar wrote:

unread = incomplete?
Sorry, just now noticed this question. By unread, I meant posts
that I haven't read yet. When you log out or are logged out, all
posts are marked as read. Does that make sense?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Catwalk Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

--kurt
I have an aversion (probably an irrational one) to software that does this
kind of thing. I blame Microsoft for it.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Catwalk Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
I have an aversion (probably an irrational one) to software that does this kind of thing. I blame Microsoft for it.

Not sure if you guys realize this, but when you log in, whether you check that box or not, a cookie gets set on your machine. The only difference is, by checking that box, the cookie then becomes persistent. So, you're not avoiding cookies by not checking that box.

And, lest this turn into a cookie flame-fest, let me just say that if you're really that concerned about them, just keep your tinfoil hats on and you'll be safe. :)

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my aversion isn't to cookies entirely. I don't like cookies that stay on my machine, which
would fall into the 'persistant' category I guess. My issue is the lack of security with cookies.
It is noone's business that I browse these forums, or shop at xxx site (I don't shop online, but
you get the point). I simply don't trust that only Gentoo Forums can use Gentoo's cookies. Now,
obviously it isn't a big deal with something like a forum. That said, I don't want some Marketing
Company Conglomerate to look through my cookes to try and target advertising to me.

Has this thread officially forked yet? :D

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup -- and it's (at least partially) my fault. Splitting out the last few posts into Off The Wall.

--kurt
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I chose an admittedly inflammatory topic for this new thread. That said, cookies, when managed carefully by the individual user, are a completely benign and very helpful little piece of information. They absolutely can be abused, but you, as the user, have total control over what gets placed on your hard drive.

Cookies are written on a per-domain basis. This means that Microsoft.com cannot read the cookies that apple.com sets on your browser and vice versa. Yes, it's possible that an unknown exploit could be out there that allowed this to be bypassed, but if one was discovered, it would be widely published almost as soon as it was discovered.

Anyway, there are a lot of other things to worry about on the internet -- I'd say cookies are the least of your concern.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: