Cannot start slapd after upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
binro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Cannot start slapd after upgrade Reply with quote

In my recent upgrade openldap was updated from 2.3.33 to 2.3.38, which doesn't look very dramatic but now it won't start. Th error messges are:

Oct 12 17:13:42 opal slapd[22322]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.3.38 (Oct 10 2007 18:44:17) $ root@opal:/var/tmp/portage/net-nds/openldap-2.3.38/work/openldap-2.3.38/servers/slapd
    Oct 12 17:13:42 opal slapd[22323]: bdb(dc=binro,dc=org): Program version 4.5 doesn't match environment version 0.11
    Oct 12 17:13:42 opal slapd[22323]: bdb_db_open: Database cannot be opened, err -30972. Restore from backup!
    Oct 12 17:13:42 opal slapd[22323]: bdb(dc=binro,dc=org): DB_ENV->lock_id_free interface requires an environment configured for the locking subsystem
    Oct 12 17:13:42 opal slapd[22323]: bdb(dc=binro,dc=org): txn_checkpoint interface requires an environment configured for the transaction subsystem
    Oct 12 17:13:42 opal slapd[22323]: bdb_db_close: txn_checkpoint failed: Invalid argument (22)
    Oct 12 17:13:42 opal slapd[22323]: backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (-30972)
    Oct 12 17:13:42 opal slapd[22323]: bdb_db_close: alock_close failed
    Oct 12 17:13:42 opal slapd[22323]: slapd stopped.
    Oct 12 17:13:42 opal slapd[22323]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

I have the openldap-data directory backed up but when I restored it and tried a slapcat, I got similar messages. I know little about LDAP, can anyone shed some light on what has happened?
binro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an old slapcat dump file and deleted the databases and reload from the ldif. Not very satisfactory but at least it's running with slightly old data. Always take a slapcat backup before upgrading openldap!
MatchboxOscar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same experience, but now I cannot start openldap from init. I can start it from the command line with the --exec portion of the init script.

Code:
stu log # /etc/init.d/slapd start
 * Starting ldap-server ...                                                 [ !! ]
stu log # ps ax |grep slapd
16315 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --colour=auto slapd
stu log # /usr/lib/openldap/slapd -- -u ldap -g ldap
stu log # ps ax |grep slapd
16341 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/lib/openldap/slapd -- -u ldap -g ldap
16345 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --colour=auto slapd

Where is the log for openldap? I have had a hard time finding any debug output for the init failure.

Any ideas?
MatchboxOscar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, fixed this. I ran /etc/init.d/slapd --debug start which gave me a lot of output but while combing through it I realized that I restored using slapadd as root, so the db was owned by root. I changed the ownership of the files inside my data directory and I'm good to go.
dahoste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran into the same problem (can't start slapd after updating open-ldap). I've had to recover ldap before, and know how to delete the db and restore it from an ldif dump, but this time I can't even run 'ldapdelete...' to clear the db. The attempt produces the following:

Code:
ldap_bind
ldap_simple_bind
ldap_sasl_bind
ldap_send_initial_request
ldap_new_connection 1 1 0
ldap_int_open_connection
ldap_connect_to_host: TCP 127.0.0.1:389
ldap_new_socket: 3
ldap_prepare_socket: 3
ldap_connect_to_host: Trying 127.0.0.1:389
ldap_connect_timeout: fd: 3 tm: -1 async: 0
ldap_close_socket: 3
ldap_perror
ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

Is there something else perhaps that I need to kick before I can attempt the ldapdelete command? The openldap update came on the heels of the recent PAM update, if that matters. I'm always a little leary of rebooting when this kind of thing happens because I'm never sure I'll be able to get into the system again after the reboot if things are *really* off-kilter.
dahoste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I'm fairly well hosed at this point. I can't start slapd and I can't get ldapdelete to bind so that I can attempt to clear (and then restore) the database (on the assumption that the original message about the db being broken was correct).

Here's the output from the attempt to run slapd:

Code:
bdb_db_open: dbenv_open(/var/lib/openldap-data)
bdb_db_open: Database cannot be opened, err 22. Restore from backup!
====> bdb_cache_release_all
bdb(dc=NEGATIVESUM,dc=NET): DB_ENV->lock_id_free interface requires an environment configured for the locking subsystem
bdb(dc=NEGATIVESUM,dc=NET): txn_checkpoint interface requires an environment configured for the transaction subsystem
bdb_db_close: txn_checkpoint failed: Invalid argument (22)
backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (22)
slapd shutdown: initiated
====> bdb_cache_release_all
bdb_db_close: alock_close failed
slapd destroy: freeing system resources.
slapd stopped.

The output from ldapdelete is in the previous post. Basically it just keeps saying: "ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)". I've re-emerged openldap, nss_ldap, openssl. I rebooted, which made no difference.

I don't know what to try at this point. Having the db wedged and requiring a recovery from ldif file was the worst I've had to deal with prior to this, so I don't have any tricks to use.
dahoste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(note: I'm double-posting this from another thread that had a nearly identical ldap problem)

[SOLVED] well... if completely deleting the bdb folder and reconstructing the ldap db is 'solving' the problem.

I couldn't get any of the berkely tools to behave or apparently do anything constructive, so I just wiped the /var/lib/openldap-data folder, re-emerged openldap (just for good measure), and used slapadd to do a full repopulation of the ldap db from a nightly slapcat dump (ldif file).

Had this been a higher traffic production system, I'd probably be pissed. Though I now officially hate ldap. This is like the 4th or 5th time I've wasted hours recovering from some arcane breakage of what is proving to be an annoyingly fragile tool.

Oh well. Sally forth.
bobcatt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: [solved] another way to correct the problem Reply with quote

Hello

You can read this post as an alternative if you don't have the right ldif file.
fmouse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be a common problem, which manifests in a couple of different ways. See https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=190748 .

Although I didn't try it, it's very possible that if slapd is hosed, slapcat won't work to produce a proper ldif file either and the only solution would be to build openldap against a previous bdb version, dump, rebuild openldap against the current bdb version, and import. Otherwise, a bdb dump would have to be done, either as per Robin Johnson's comment in the cited bug, or as per the instructions at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4487066.html#4487066 .

I used db4.2_dump to dump the db data and then db4.5load to reconstitute it. This seemed to work OK.
dahoste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was exactly the situation I was in -- slapd was totally inoperable. Clearly that prevents the creation of a new ldif dump using slapcat. Had I not already possessed nightly snapshots of the ldap db (in ldif format) I'd have been forced to pursue the db_dump/load approach described by bobcatt and fmouse.

Thanks for the pointer to the bug entry. That's good info.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: