Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2.6.23-kamikaze2: "nsits"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 Jan 2004
Posts: 1925
Location: Europe, Swizerland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
works_great++;


Hmm that was maybe a bit too early. Fan Control seems to not work correctly any longer. Anyone knows of a change?
_________________
Workstation: 5.1 SurroundSound, LIRC remote control; Laptop [IBM-T43]: patched sources, s2disk/ram, fingerprint sensor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pacho2
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 2582
Location: Oviedo, Spain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get ck-patches-2.6.23 ?

I thought that Con Kolivas no longer offers its patches for new kernels

Thanks for info :-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 960

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacho2: He ported them to .23 so he could use them in this patchset. :)

And, what does tux on ice do? :S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 Jan 2004
Posts: 1925
Location: Europe, Swizerland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
pacho2: He ported them to .23 so he could use them in this patchset. :)

And, what does tux on ice do? :S


Tux on Ice is just renamed suspend2 8)
_________________
Workstation: 5.1 SurroundSound, LIRC remote control; Laptop [IBM-T43]: patched sources, s2disk/ram, fingerprint sensor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tempix
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 2.6.23_r1 happens something strange (with r2 too, but not with 2.6.23-rc9):
My /etc/fstab looks like:
# <fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>
/dev/mapper/root / ext3 acl,user_xattr,noatime 0 1
/dev/mapper/swap swap swap pri=42 0 0
/dev/hda2 /boot ext3 acl,user_xattr,noatime 1 2

As you can see, my / is encrypted with dm-crypt (http://wiki.tuxonice.net/EncryptedSwapAndRoot). And now, let's see my problem:
at the boot process, fsck says: can not open /dev/hda2. And /boot will be not mounted.
I can change into /boot and there is nothing. mount says: /boot or /dev/hda2 is not mounted. If I try: mount /boot, or fsck /dev/hda2
...maybe filesystem is exclusively opened by a programm, etc, can not open it. <-- I have changed dump/pass from 1 2 to 0 0 so now it is ok and I can't remember
the exact message.

What is the problem? My system ist stable x86, with all other kernel-sources is everything ok.
lsof /dev/hda2 does not anything. I can not find out, what process opens my boot partition.
Anyway, kamikaze-sources rocks, I run it on a samsung x20 with intel vga, and with uvesafb, first time I have 1400x1050 fb! ...and other fine things....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 5743
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone here running this kernel with reiser4 & baselayout-2 ?
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.3.0-r2
2.6.37.2_plus_v1: BFS, CFS,THP,compaction, zcache or TOI
Hardcore Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 960

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
StifflerStealth wrote:
pacho2: He ported them to .23 so he could use them in this patchset. :)

And, what does tux on ice do? :S


Tux on Ice is just renamed suspend2 8)
Ewwww. suspend2 is yucky. :P

Kernel of Truth. I have Baselayout2, but no reiser4. I might be able to create a file and mount it via loopback. What do you need tested?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pacho2
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 2582
Location: Oviedo, Spain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
pacho2: He ported them to .23 so he could use them in this patchset. :)

And, what does tux on ice do? :S


Oh, well :-D

Thanks :-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dodo1122
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 347
Location: York, England

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
anyone here running this kernel with reiser4 & baselayout-2 ?


Yes, me, i've got baselayout-2 and reiser4 under /var and /usr/portage ;-) Works fine.


dodo
_________________
#zen-sources on irc.rizon.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 5743
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dodo,

now I only need someone confirming that it also works fine with reiser4 on /root :wink:

I'll move /usr/portage and some other minor partition to reiser4 & see how it works out :)
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.3.0-r2
2.6.37.2_plus_v1: BFS, CFS,THP,compaction, zcache or TOI
Hardcore Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
p4ddY
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 Jul 2007
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works very fine after removing the CFS thing :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waninkoko
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 549

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacho2 wrote:
Where do you get ck-patches-2.6.23 ?

I thought that Con Kolivas no longer offers its patches for new kernels

Thanks for info :-)


Decidi portar los parches de ck a las nuevas versiones del kernel ya que me parecen que son bastante interesantes. Mientras no supongan un trabajo muy grande seguire portandolos (a no ser que den problemas).

--

I decided to port ck's patches to the new kernel versions because I think they are very interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enderandrew
l33t
l33t


Joined: 25 Oct 2005
Posts: 731

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/12/302

They just released 2.6.23.1 which is only one small fix. I'm assuming it should apply cleanly on the top of this. The bug was some serious corruption with the sata_mv driver.
_________________
Nihilism makes me smile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darklegion
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Nov 2004
Posts: 467

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
anyone here running this kernel with reiser4 & baselayout-2 ?

Yes and it works fine (except for the loopback issue I mentioned on the first page but that should be unrelated to baselayout-2)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tagx
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Posts: 61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that whenever my cpu is under load, input starts to lag causing letters to repeat (and keyboard shortcuts).
Everything was working fine with 2.6.22-kamikazex and prior.
If i can't fix it, itll prob force me to downgrade to .22.

Edit: I have an athlon x2 running amd64.

Edit2: Could changing to gcc 4.2.2 from 4.1.2 cause this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yngwin
Developer
Developer


Joined: 19 Dec 2002
Posts: 4414
Location: Suzhou, China

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a weird issue with python not being able to merge, due to some vague IO error. I suspect the reiser4 patch isn't 100% guaranteed.
_________________
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln
Free Culture | Defective by Design | EFF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
massimo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 Jun 2003
Posts: 1142
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagx wrote:
It seems that whenever my cpu is under load, input starts to lag causing letters to repeat (and keyboard shortcuts).
Everything was working fine with 2.6.22-kamikazex and prior.
If i can't fix it, itll prob force me to downgrade to .22.


I'm experiencing something similar: sometimes the mouse movement seems not that smooth at all even if the cpu is running idle. I'll try turning off new features like air group CPU scheduler since I do not know what might causing this...
_________________
Hello 911? How are you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 5743
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm experiencing something similar: sometimes the mouse movement seems not that smooth at all even if the cpu is running idle. I'll try turning off new features like air group CPU scheduler since I do not know what might causing this...


I used 2.6.23-rc9 with the new devel cfs scheduler before and it didn't happen that often,

remove the boost patchset, recompile your kernel and see if it still happens :wink:

otherwise it's something with ck-patchset and new cfs-scheduler which doesn't play fine with each other ...

... or waninkoko knows the answer :wink:
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.3.0-r2
2.6.37.2_plus_v1: BFS, CFS,THP,compaction, zcache or TOI
Hardcore Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prestige
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
Tagx wrote:
It seems that whenever my cpu is under load, input starts to lag causing letters to repeat (and keyboard shortcuts).
Everything was working fine with 2.6.22-kamikazex and prior.
If i can't fix it, itll prob force me to downgrade to .22.


I'm experiencing something similar: sometimes the mouse movement seems not that smooth at all even if the cpu is running idle. I'll try turning off new features like air group CPU scheduler since I do not know what might causing this...

I have experienced that too. When I compile something and the cpu is very high load the mouse is... jumping. After remove the Fair group CPU scheduler the problem is gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dodo1122
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 347
Location: York, England

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prestige wrote:
massimo wrote:
Tagx wrote:
It seems that whenever my cpu is under load, input starts to lag causing letters to repeat (and keyboard shortcuts).
Everything was working fine with 2.6.22-kamikazex and prior.
If i can't fix it, itll prob force me to downgrade to .22.


I'm experiencing something similar: sometimes the mouse movement seems not that smooth at all even if the cpu is running idle. I'll try turning off new features like air group CPU scheduler since I do not know what might causing this...

I have experienced that too. When I compile something and the cpu is very high load the mouse is... jumping. After remove the Fair group CPU scheduler the problem is gone.


Confirmed, it happens to me is well.

ygwin wrote:
I had a weird issue with python not being able to merge, due to some vague IO error. I suspect the reiser4 patch isn't 100% guaranteed.


Have the same problem, with python and net-tools :/


dodo
_________________
#zen-sources on irc.rizon.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 15 Aug 2002
Posts: 2776
Location: Gainesville, Florida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waninkoko,
Can you please clarify something on the ck patches? Do you still include the staircase scheduler, and when we select deadline as the default, is that indeed staircase? I've used ck since Con first released it, and it always was the best for my specific usage. The new CFS default linux scheduler doesn't seem to work quite as well for my desktops and pro audio kernels- definitely has decreased overall responsiveness.

It would really be great if you continue porting the ck patch set and including it as an option in new kernels. CFS might be best for all around use (including server use), but currently staircase deadline is definitely better for multimedia desktops- in my opinion and experience there is no question about this, at least on my boxes. It's really a shame about all the "politics" involved which led Con Kolivas to abandon SD and kernel development. :(
_________________
Main box- Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ rev.-4.0
Amd FX 8320, 3.5 GHz, 16GB GSkill DDR3 1866mhz
Samsung SATA 1000GB, Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3
Gentoo ~x86, ~amd64, glibc-2.19-r1, gcc-4.9.1 kernel 3.17.1-gentoo-r1 (USE=experimental "native")
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yngwin
Developer
Developer


Joined: 19 Dec 2002
Posts: 4414
Location: Suzhou, China

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, kamikaze-sources have never included Con's Staircase Deadline scheduler.
_________________
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln
Free Culture | Defective by Design | EFF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waninkoko
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 549

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
Waninkoko,
Can you please clarify something on the ck patches? Do you still include the staircase scheduler, and when we select deadline as the default, is that indeed staircase? I've used ck since Con first released it, and it always was the best for my specific usage. The new CFS default linux scheduler doesn't seem to work quite as well for my desktops and pro audio kernels- definitely has decreased overall responsiveness.

It would really be great if you continue porting the ck patch set and including it as an option in new kernels. CFS might be best for all around use (including server use), but currently staircase deadline is definitely better for multimedia desktops- in my opinion and experience there is no question about this, at least on my boxes. It's really a shame about all the "politics" involved which led Con Kolivas to abandon SD and kernel development. :(


kamikazes-sources doesn't have nor will have the SD scheduler (who knows...).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waninkoko, thanks for keeping up with the custom patch sets. I've had no time lately to play with kernel patches so this has been a life saver.

On, a side note, was allowing ondemand/conservative governors to be set via kconfig your idea or new in recent -mm. I tried to do that in the past but it didn't work. I'm glad to see that its now an option. Keep up the good work.
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waninkoko
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 549

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
Waninkoko, thanks for keeping up with the custom patch sets. I've had no time lately to play with kernel patches so this has been a life saver.

On, a side note, was allowing ondemand/conservative governors to be set via kconfig your idea or new in recent -mm. I tried to do that in the past but it didn't work. I'm glad to see that its now an option. Keep up the good work.


Np ;)

About the patch... I got it from -mm but I was planning to develop it (I hate use performance as default governor).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum