Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why are Gentoo people so nice?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry teh Cow

lmao, Larrys in a mood.
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
Larry teh Cow

lmao, Larrys in a mood.

i feel bad for the camera man...
Brandy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm truly impressed - over 50 responses to a newbie's question. Thank you all; you've made me feel really welcome. :D

(so welcome in fact, I've even managed to help a few other people out in the forums :) )

Ciao, Brandy
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandy_ wrote:
Hi,

I'm truly impressed - over 50 responses to a newbie's question. Thank you all; you've made me feel really welcome. :D

(so welcome in fact, I've even managed to help a few other people out in the forums :) )

Ciao, Brandy

I guess that's an example of why these forums are so friendly 8)
PsychoPat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wHAcKer wrote:
my theory:
when installing you get some sort of weird error. You start to panic (e.g.: omg my download is worth NOTHING now i'm here with an incompetent system or something similar) but then you remember a link on the gentoo page saying forum...
[...]

That's exactly what happened to me ! :o Your theory is the best ! :D
Although I have an other one to submit: what about just because the name "gentoo" sounds cool ? :wink:
Seriously, I've been looking for a distro that suits my needs for quite a long time. I've now been using gentoo for about two months and I'm now in love with it :lol:
Thanks to you guys !
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: We all went through the same things... Reply with quote

Hey, origional post was on my b-day!

Everyone, at some point, was a n00b. I started off using computers with Windows 3.1, and finally got an internet connection with Win95. After 98 came out I gave linux a try with Red Linux in 1999 or 2000, so I was a complete n00b. It ran rather slow on my old machine (gnome would crawl, and kde was ok...) Either way, eventually in 2002 I switched my home system to Red Hat Linux and began to really learn linux. (at the time it was very easy to just download the images and install, so i went with it to get a simple running, nice looking linux system) Everything I learned from books or online tutorials, I never really used the forums (if they have any for such a thing). A friend in Israel told me about Gentoo, and eventually I had him ssh into my machine after i booted from the livecd and he told me to type screen -x. With that I watched as he showed me how to install it, we worked out problems together, and everything was good. Whenever I run into a problem now, the community has answers. I think it's because of the fact that I was helped so easily and without question that I feel that I want to be able to help other n00bs. I'd like to point out that this friend that helped me install it was only my friend for a few days, and we never physically met. I have no idea who he was, just as I have no idea who the people here are, yet I feel no problem helping them and expecting absolutely nothing in return, save that the community help me when I need something fixed or have a question. I believe that is the mentality of many around here, and their selfless acts are greatly appreciated by everyone else in the community.
neutrino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm truly impressed - over 50 responses to a newbie's question. Thank you all; you've made me feel really welcome.

I've browsed these forums for over a year, but I never posted a message. Not even one. Hell, I had to register just to be able to post this! :)

I'm sure I know who you are Brandy. You're a 2nd year comp student at uni? In New Zealand? In Wellington to be precise? Me and my mates notice you at uni (who doesn't). You're hot! :)

But I feel really let down. You never came across as a computer geek. I'm a geek. I've always been a geek, and we have a strong community of geeks at uni. But we never thought of you being one of us! 8O
Because geeks do not wear short skirts to lectures! Geeks do not show their belly-buttons in public! And geeks do not talk about 18th century European literature! Never. No we do not. We carry pen-holders in our shirt pockets! We fix our broken glasses with large amounts of white tape! And we only talk about things like kernel compiles, RPGs and prolog!

Just Joking! :D In seriousness Brandy, I'm really impressed you use Linux! And I'm impressed you have a life outside of Linux! :D (I don't)
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are gentoo users so nice? I can speak from my own view, I don't know if the rest of ya feel this way...but I remember when I was a really n00b myself so I relate with the scariness of being new to something.

That and I'm just a nice guy! :D :wink:
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neutrino wrote:
Quote:
I'm truly impressed - over 50 responses to a newbie's question. Thank you all; you've made me feel really welcome.

I've browsed these forums for over a year, but I never posted a message. Not even one. Hell, I had to register just to be able to post this! :)

I'm sure I know who you are Brandy. You're a 2nd year comp student at uni? In New Zealand? In Wellington to be precise? Me and my mates notice you at uni (who doesn't). You're hot! :)

But I feel really let down. You never came across as a computer geek. I'm a geek. I've always been a geek, and we have a strong community of geeks at uni. But we never thought of you being one of us! 8O
Because geeks do not wear short skirts to lectures! Geeks do not show their belly-buttons in public! And geeks do not talk about 18th century European literature! Never. No we do not. We carry pen-holders in our shirt pockets! We fix our broken glasses with large amounts of white tape! And we only talk about things like kernel compiles, RPGs and prolog!

Just Joking! :D In seriousness Brandy, I'm really impressed you use Linux! And I'm impressed you have a life outside of Linux! :D (I don't)

hmmm...you sound like a stalker...lol
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlynch11 wrote:

Only sounds like? :lol:

Still kinda freaky if his story is infact true. If I saw a fit girl from my collage start posting on these forums i'd be slightly shocked 8O :D
neutrino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlynch11 wrote:

stalking would involve me being away from my computer! Now that would be scary! :D

No, look mate, Brandy's a popular chick at uni. We all think the world of her. But stereotypes are one mutha of a mind-f&@k: not too many chicks use Linux. I almost feel off my chair when I saw the avatar.
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:

Still kinda freaky if his story is infact true. If I saw a fit girl from my collage start posting on these forums i'd be slightly shocked 8O :D

haha yeah i know exactly what you mean...

although then again, alot of girls could be using linux, just under the veil of anonymity to protect their non-geek image (how dare they haha)...
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberstalkers unite !

it's a tough gig but somebody has to do it...

-edit-

But seriously, females has as much a right to be geeks as the rest of us - I would advice that you listen to thw QA session from the Perth linux conference, there's a woman there with some very well put opinions on the male bullying in the Linux community (I think it's Val Henderson who did a talk on BitKeeper).

I can fully understand why some females might not be comfortable with be females in this community - face it what are we up to here, 50 replies or so and everyone is thinking the same, Brandy is hot... female geek... w00t..

And yes, it does shine through that I've been dating a feminist for nearly 6 years - so get off my case.
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! This is not a 'lonely hearts' forum.......calm down guys!!

Yes, she's female.....yes, she's a geek........blimey, you'd think she was the first ever!!

:twisted:
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already spoken for, so I guess I'm off the hook... :mrgreen:

(yeah, she's hot as hell, my gf) :wink:
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a lady friend who's starting to get into Linux. She's doing Mandrake for now, soon I will corrupt... I mean convert her to Gentoo. Oh yeah she's a programmer, and she's cute. So yeah they exist. But I'm not about to pounce on her. Gotta maintain a gentleman-like behavior around the ladies.

But in our defense, it's not every day you meet or hear about a female Linux user, let alone one with good looks. So yeah let them get a lil' crazy and enjoy the moment. Then everyone calms down and gets back to work.

Now where did I put my flask of penguin pee... there are some bootstrap partitions in need of blessing.
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycander wrote:
Now where did I put my flask of penguin pee... there are some bootstrap partitions in need of blessing.

8O
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsolar wrote:
Lycander wrote:

8O

Should we warn him that liquids and electrical equipment don't mix?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the liquids. Pee is not a good idea, because it is mostly water.

port001 wrote:
bsolar wrote:
Lycander wrote:

8O

Should we warn him that liquids and electrical equipment don't mix?

bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:

It's definately not a good idea, containing quite a lot of electrolytes...
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you helped people out, because they helped you out? ...well, that's probably how everyone here started in these forums ...at least i did ...and probably most of (active) forum users

the more i use gentoo and the more i visit the forums, i think we're just how linux should work:
from source, a bitch to install (well, some claim gentoo is), and angel to work with, and with a strong community that helps each other out and developes more software and ideas

once again, welcome aboard! :D

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsolar wrote:
Bloody Bastard wrote:

It's definately not a good idea, containing quite a lot of electrolytes...

more likly he would get it over himself, ewww pee smell lol
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you have done a PPC Gentoo install you'd know what I'm talking about regarding the Penguin pee.

I try not to get my Penguin pee flask mixed up with my flask of booze 8O
GenKiller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul_Duke wrote:
Yes, she's female.....yes, she's a geek........blimey, you'd think she was the first ever!!:twisted:

You mean there are others 8O

I definitely need to get out more often :oops:
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenKiller wrote:
Raoul_Duke wrote:
Yes, she's female.....yes, she's a geek........blimey, you'd think she was the first ever!!:twisted:

You mean there are others 8O

I definitely need to get out more often :oops:

LOL... yeah, you do - let's go grab a beer, I know a great place.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: