View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: cups client configuration Reply with quote

Okay, this is probably an easy one, but for some reason, it has me stumped. On my home network, I have 3 computers with a printer connected to one of them. I manage to get the printer configured with cups on the server, and it appears to work (from the web interface, I can successfully get it to print a test page, but I haven't tried a normal print job). My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to configure the other machines so that they can send jobs to the printer. On the server, I modified cupsd.conf and added:
<Location /printers>
Allow from 192.168.*
</Location>

Now, I can access the cups web interface for printers from one of the client machines and tell it to send a test page. I am now trying to configure cups on the client machines and add the printer as a network printer, but I can't seem to figure out the right way to do it.
The printer is called "lp" and is connected to server "beta" on the parallel port. The printer is an HP Laserjet 5L.
On the clients, I have tried configurations like:
Device: Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
URI: ipp://beta:631/printers/lp
Make: HP
Model: HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1 (en)

The problem seems to be the Device and/or URI. I have tried some variations on the URI, but I get the same problem no matter what. If I try to start a test page from the web interface of one of the client machines, it starts the job, but then complains that the printer is busy and it will retry in 10 seconds. Of course, in reality the printer is totally idle and oblivious to the print jobs. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, I got things working. The problem was the URI.
This time, I left the port number out of the ipp URI, so I used ipp://beta/printers/lp
If I look at the printer configuration in the web admin tool, it lists the URI as http://beta:631/printers/lp, so that is probably the correct URI for Internet Printing Protocol over http. Anyway, it works now. Just thought I'd give a heads up for anybody else trying this. As I figured, it was a simple problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: