Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Sigh! Newbie missing the point.. Email Woes.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etrek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Sigh! Newbie missing the point.. Email Woes. Reply with quote

Trying to move from M$ to Linux, have some experience as a network type dude and more as a applications programmer.

It's been an enjoyable and informative romp thru the many trials and tribulations involved in installing Gentoo on my system - mainly my fault of course for not RTFM-ing..

Now looking to setup and configure a mail server. Have already installed Gentoo from stage 3 tar with NO ERRORS TO REPORT OH YEAH!!!.

Installed OpenSSH & OpenSSL for no apparant reason (other than I have a sneaking suspicion they may be handy sometime in the future).

I've been REALLY CONFUSED about what the best pkg to use for this purpose is. Seems everyone has his or her own fav.. Should I go with Postfix, Qmail, Exim or wut..

Anyway in attempting to emerge PostFix I keep getting a error about virtual/mta conflicting with the install pkg. Now I guess that there is already some sort of mail stuff already installed but I am far to ignorant to know exactly what it is and/or exactly what to do about it. I DID do a "--pretend" on virtual/mta to see that was going on and it came back with "SSMTP..." lib or somesuch). I tried unmerging the pkg but Linux just laughs at me (I guess it's protected). How can I uninstall it? Do I need to? Did I inadvertently include something in the kernel?

Any advice would be helpful.

Cheers,

E.

:roll:
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigh! Newbie missing the point.. Email Woes. Reply with quote

etrek wrote:
I've been REALLY CONFUSED about what the best pkg to use for this purpose is. Seems everyone has his or her own fav.. Should I go with Postfix, Qmail, Exim or wut..

Key phrase: "everyone has his or her own fav". That's precisely the point. The old linux addage goes:

Quote:
There are two rules in linux system administration:
  1. There is always more than one way to do the same thing
  2. Someone thinks your way is wrong

I like exim, because I come from a debian world where that is the default MTA. Other folks will swear that postfix is the greatest thing since sliced bread and still others will proclaim qmail as the second coming.

The simple fact is, they all have their strengths and their weaknesses, so the best way to decide is to look at each one and figure out what makes the most sense to you. Which config file is easiest to understand for you -- which one has the features that are important to you, etc.

etrek wrote:
Anyway in attempting to emerge PostFix I keep getting a error about virtual/mta conflicting with the install pkg.

http://fireserver.ath.cx/gentoo/msg24375.html

--kurt
etrek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: That did the trick.. Reply with quote

Thanks again.
Houdini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To toss in my two cents, a desktop machine doesn't need to run a mail server. ssmtp and fetchmail are all I use. So much easier to deal with...
etrek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Good point..but Reply with quote

Well, this is actually my 2nd gentoo install this weekend. First one was in fact a workstation type install - so I could start ramping up on Linux. My goal there was to attempt to build something similar to what a "normal" user would expect - something like a basic Wintel box with a Graphical inteface and standard apps. I ended up installing Gnome for the Desktop & Evolution for the mail app (which looks very impressive btw coming from Win/Outlook frame of mind).

After a successful futzing I thought it might be neat to try and build a mail server to replace my companys current server which is running NT and an older version of Ipswiitches Imail Server.

So that's the current state of affairs.. Looking to set up an experimental corporate type mail server using Gentoo.

My thoughts so far are: Qmail, Postfix, Exim & Squirrel Mail & possibly Courier-Imail. Though admittedly I'm not sure I completely understand this whole process. It's a slow learning process but fun so far!

E.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: