Installing on existing Sata raid-0 HD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Installing on existing Sata raid-0 HD Reply with quote

Hi,
I have fedora 7 on my machine using LVM2. This is using the Silicon Magic RAID chip I have on my machine.

I have boot, root and home on separate partitions at the moment and want to reuse these unchanged. I was planning to reformat boot and root and then wait a bit with cleaning up my home partition, so I can get my new gentoo system up first, then move some old data to my new user under Gentoo from the old Fedora one.

I have downloaded a LiveDVD, but the graphical installer don't recognise my LVM volumes. I have tried booting with "gentoo dolvm2", but no luck.
I have noticed there are some howtos around to do a sort of manual install ("HOWTO Install Gentoo on an LVM2 root partition" seems to fit).

Is that the only/easist way to do it? A few mouse clicks on a graphical installer would have been preferable although I have in the past gone through a manual "fakeraid" install with Ubuntu.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're currently using fakeraid with that silicon raid controller, boot the livecd with dodmraid.
and if you are using the onboard raid controller, maybe i suggest you don't and just use mdadm linux raid instead. yes, i have my reasons but i won't go there... :D
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed the Sil 3112A onboard chip. Might sound risky running this one in raid-0.

I am very good at taking backups though :wink:

I managed to get the LiveCD to recognise my LVMs yesterday by running vgscan from command line. I found that I actually had the LiveCD, not the LiveDVD, so I'll try with that next to see if I can get this system going with Gentoo.

The LiveCD installers (text mode or graphical) still didn't recognise my LVM volumes though. So does that mean a manual install using command line is only option?
The howto I found ealier doesn't cover this very well, so I have to look for another one....

Edit: Saw a different thread on this form and answer seems to be Yes, 1 command line Gentoo installation comming up...
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer doing installs through the command line as the Gentoo Linux Installer is at best experimental software.
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, some progress.

I have installed the basic system and it boots. I have boot and home on seperate partitions using plain dmraid (/dev/mapper/sil_xxxxxxxx type thing to mount).
The root partition is using LVM2 and has one of those VolGroup things.

The problem is that although I can boot, after boot is finished the boot and the home partitions are not there and I can only see the root partition itself. Very strange since obvisously the kernel and initrd is on the boot partition and is found during boot itself.

When I try to run "dmraid -ay" I get messages saying devices are already active and it lists all the correct partitions. But if I try to mount the boot or home partitions I get a message from mount that the device do not exist. If I do ls /dev/mapper all is listed there.

Anyone got any idea whats going on? I have gone through several howtos without finding a solution. I had no problem mounting them from the LiveDVD.... :?:
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monsm wrote:
Very strange since obvisously the kernel and initrd is on the boot partition and is found during boot itself.

That only proves that the BIOS and the bootloader are able to access the /boot partition, that says nothing about your kernel, since the kernel is not even running this early in the boot process.

ps. I share likewhoa's opinion that you should get rid of dmraid if you don't have Windows installed on this machine.
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having to write this response using Windows XP, so yes, I do have dual boot here still. The home partition I have is actually an old XP partition I decided to reallocate to more useful purposes :)

So back to the problem.

dmraid is staying. So do anyone know what sort of configuration is needed for dmraid? I don't remember anything from my previous installations.
I am reasonably sure I included everything in the kernel. I used genkernel and it produced the initrd file as well.

I am starting to think, that maybe thats where the problem is (the initrd file).

Any other views?
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

Slightly embarrasing this.

On my previous Fedora installation, my striped raid set had this name:
/dev/mapper/sil_afafejbgajdgp

I copied the old fstab thinking that Gentoo would pick up the same name. But not quiet is it happens:
/dev/mapper/sil_afafejbgajdg

Took a while before I found out what the difference was.... :oops:

A bit strange, but anyway. Progressing with xorg, gnome and compiz-fusion now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: