Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyklon wrote:
I tried it but it doesn't work.... :roll:

lurid wrote:
Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/distfiles/gdm-2.4.1.4.tar.bz2 digest

Remember, this is the first release.. you're going to need to do some problem solving. :roll:

Actually, you should probably use the file in your PORTAGE_OVERLAY dir.
Code:
ebuild /usr/local/portage/gnome-base/gdm/gdm-2.4..1.4-r30.ebuild digest

lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry. I pasted it wrong. Told you to do a digest on a tar.gz rather than the ebuild. Do as the above post says. :oops:
rincewind
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !

Firast of all nice work you all have done !
XD2 is up and running after some minor issues discussed here before.
One thing I run into wich was not mentioned here is gnome complaining about missing xscreensaver.
Perhaps someone can put it in dependancy.

Thanks again
Rincewind
s3ntient
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrevino wrote:
Zyklon wrote:
I tried it but it doesn't work.... :roll:

lurid wrote:
Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/distfiles/gdm-2.4.1.4.tar.bz2 digest

Remember, this is the first release.. you're going to need to do some problem solving. :roll:

Actually, you should probably use the file in your PORTAGE_OVERLAY dir.
Code:
ebuild /usr/local/portage/gnome-base/gdm/gdm-2.4..1.4-r30.ebuild digest

Great, that worked thanks!
dessaliness
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurid:
Hey Man. Whats Up? Ok, quickly to the business at hand. In relation to the above where you said:

Quote:
Easy. But I never could figure out the at-spi problem, so I didn't install it.

I found that when I do an "emerge at-spi" and then do an upgrade with "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge at-spi" it emerges just fine.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey neat. That worked. 8)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we deserve an updated tarball, it's been a while with the beta one now - I'm curious as to the progress of XD2-Gentoo.

keep up the good work.
derlauer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but i didnt get how to install this port :oops:

i only have to extract the tarball to my /usr/portage dir and run emerge gnome?

does it matter, if i update my portage with the gnome-current tarball form breakmygentoo.net too, so that i emerge the xd2 port with the newest gnome files?

cu derlauer
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derlauer wrote:
sorry, but i didnt get how to install this port :oops:

i only have to extract the tarball to my /usr/portage dir and run emerge gnome?

does it matter, if i update my portage with the gnome-current tarball form breakmygentoo.net too, so that i emerge the xd2 port with the newest gnome files?

cu derlauer

The BMG gnome files are the development branch I wouldn't advice you to run it unless you know what you are doing and don't mind breakage.

But if you unpack both in your overlay dir (see /etc/make.conf for the export for this dir).

it will install BMG gnome since that has higher version numbering, if you unpack xd2gen2 only it will install that one.

If you want the newest development GNOME with xd2 patches I could please you by saying I have a few of the patches lined up, but they make the system very unstable - so they won't go in, but we have some very exellent feature patches in there anyways - like the ximian fileselector, smooth scrolling, mp3/ogg decoding in nautilus-cd-burner and spring loaded folders.

Again I would advice you just install the stock GNOME.. only insane people like me run BMG gnome, with NPTL enabled glibc on a 2.6test kernel with patches directly of some strangers website wiggled in there by hand - and compiled with GCC 3.3-r1 - regular joes should just stick with the stock GNOME, it's much safer.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild, for your signature, it's "too" ;) (sorry, i'm usually apathetic to mispelling mistakes, but this one bugged me :p)

Does anyone know if there is a newer version of xd2gen2 that I can get? If there isn't one, do you know when there will be one?

If I can't get an answer, I guess I'll go and install the one I found in this thread, but I'd like to have the latest one, as it has been some time since the ebuild(s) were posted here.
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a newer version of xd2gen2 that I can get? If there isn't one, do you know when there will be one?

Aplogies to everyone for dropping the ball on this. I've been somewhat occupied, but I'll try to get a new tarball out there by the end of this month. (Could be earlier; I don't know how much needs to be updated.)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Lovechild, for your signature, it's "too" ;) (sorry, i'm usually apathetic to mispelling mistakes, but this one bugged me :p)

At least you didn't pm me to correct my english - I've said this before, I don't really care that you correct my English if you let me correct your Danish.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well, in that case, I'm safe, as I don't know any Danish :P.

Unless, I bet there's some Danish word that somehow made it into "American" (it's not really English, let's face it, how many American's say they're going on "Holiday"?) and got mispelled horribly, but that wouldn't really count...

Erik, it's ok if you don't have the absolute latest and greatest, you are only one person, but I must admit, it would be nice if you would be able to at least update us a bit more on when the next version is coming out. If that in itself is too much, don't worry about it, cause we'll live, most of us that is, I hope... :)
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, seems I'm having trouble in my compiling...
Code:

checking for catalogs to be installed...  am ar az be bg bn cs da de ca el es et eu fa fi fr ga gl he hi hr hu id is it ja kn ko lt lv mk ml mn ms nl nn no pl pt pt_BR ro ru sk sl sr sr@Latn sv ta tr uk vi wa zh_CN zh_TW
checking for gtkdoc-mkdb... false
checking for db2html... false
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for libgnomeprint-2.2 = 2.2.1.3        libgnomecanvas-2.0 >= 1.117.0... Requested 'libgnomeprint-2.2 = 2.2.1.3' but version of libgnomeprint-2.2 is 2.3.0.cvs.9

configure: error: Library requirements (libgnomeprint-2.2 = 2.2.1.3     libgnomecanvas-2.0 >= 1.117.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

!!! ERROR: gnome-base/libgnomeprintui-2.2.1.3 failed.
!!! Function econf, Line 320, Exitcode 1
!!! econf failed

both libgnomeprint and libgnomecnvas were already installed, and I don't understand what the error is saying. Anyone have any clues?
Snake007uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how far has this project got ?? i just installed xd2 on my redhat 9 system and i love it , biut i would prefer to have it on my gentoo system, will there be any differce in the gentoo version??

Snake

Dual AMD MP 2800+, Asus A7M266-D, 1GB Ram, 18.1GB u160 HD, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, Creative Audigy ZS, Intel SRCU31A, Linksys NIC, iiyama 18.1 4637bk lcd
max_colby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note, has the Ximian artwork been rebranded with Gnome artwork, or Gentoo artwork? Just curious!

Sounds like great work though!
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i got everything compiled, but when i try to launch it, i get an error about gnome something segfaulting. i'll try to recreate it (probably very easily) as it happens as soon as i log in. where are the error logs stored, so i can get some better info on this?
lucida
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi! I've ported the industrial theme into IceWM(so you can use it in KDE).

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=7128

enjoy :)
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of an update on my problem...

When I try to launch gnome (well, ximian-gnome) the Gnome Session Manager segfaults, every time, for no reason (that i can see) at all. I don't know where the error messages are, so I can't post them, but I would like this problem to be resolved ASAP, because I'd like to use Ximian.

On a second note, I didn't install several packages, the ones that everyone else had errors with on the forums, so as they did, I injected them and it installed. None of them included gnome session manager though.

Any ideas?
psyeye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: aa Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
When I try to launch gnome (well, ximian-gnome) the Gnome Session Manager segfaults, every time, for no reason (that i can see) at all.

Same here... :(
Anybody any solution? Would be soo nice since I'd really like to see that xd2 up and running.
I checked for messages in any logs but could not find any except this (which is partly in german):

Code:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/athlon:/tmp/.ICE-unix/8163
Fenstermanager-Warnung:classic is not a valid wrap style. Try "none" or "toroida
l".
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 8192, errno = 0
Fenstermanager-Warnung:Das Öffnen einer Verbindung mit einem Sitzungsverwalter ist fehlgeschlagen, daher werden die Fensterpositionen nicht gespeichert: IO error occured opening connection
Fenstermanager-Warnung:Verbindung zur Anzeige »:0.0« verloren;
wahrscheinlich wurde der X-Server beendet oder Sie haben den Fenstermanager abgewürgt.

Fenstermanager-Warnung = Windowmanager-Warning
"Das Öffnen..." = Could not connect to a session-manager, no window-positions will be saved (heck, there weren't any so who cares?): IO error occured openen connection
Windowmanager-warning: lost connection to display :0.0; probably you either closed the X-server (nope, I didn't) or you "stalled" your windowmanager.
(Just in case this could anybody... I doubt it...)

greets, looking forward to any help,
psyeye
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why the gnome-sesion crash is happening, but you guys aren't alone; I've been stuck using fluxbox for the past week.
I have a hunch that it may be related to gtk2 and/or glibc, so if you guys who are crashing could post what versions of that you have installed it could help.

For some packages, you guys are going to have to start masking newer versions (I'll post a list of /etc/portage/package.mask lines along with beta2 later) because the old patches won't apply and Ximian hasn't updated them. If anyone wants to help forward-port the patches (some might not even be possible) you're welcome to PM me.
psyeye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I can help...
I checked the forums for "gnome session manager" and came up with some hints, that maybe gnome-session needs to be rebuild. So I checked what emerge said to that and came up with this:
Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -p gnome-session

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild    UD] x11-libs/gtk+-2.2.1-r30 [2.2.2-r1]
[ebuild   R  ] gnome-base/gnome-session-2.2.2-r30

So it seems that while building the whole stuff (actually I had over 70 packages to compile), something downgraded gtk+ again.
After this emerge, I am now running ximian-gnome right now writing this with mozilla (and guess what: I AM happy! :-) ).

EDIT: erik.swanson, maybe this can help you aswell (you mentioned one should post his gtk+-version)

greets,
psyeye
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I rebuilt the session-manager, worked once, then it crashed and doesn't work anymore. My luck, go figure :\.

Also, if I'm using GDM, I can't let my computer sit, or else it will log out for no reason at all. Haven't tried using the startx command yet though.

Lastly, the xd2gen2 XMMS patch (1.2.7-r30, i believe) does not compile. It gets about 10 minutes in, and dies. I don't have the error on me right now, but I'll try to post it tonight (I'm not home now).

The only other problem I had was that it ran a bit slow on my computer, but I think that's more of a hardware problem. Damn Athlon-Tbird, I'll need something better soon...
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definatly think most of these problems are due to Portage being updated and this being an older beta. I just did a reinstall of Gentoo and noticed some quirks with installing XD2 this time around that didn't happen before. The best way to install it now is to specify the ebuild itself. A lot of things that should have gotten built didn't, and some that did were the wrong version. Doing this

Code:
emerge /usr/local/portage/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.2.1-r30.ebuild
straightened out the whole thing.

As for XD2 running slow, its strange that you say that. I have a 1.1ghz Duron with 128 megs of RAM and, for some reason, XD2 seems to run much better and is a lot easier on RAM than stock Gnome.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried Gnome lately on this computer, but I seem to remember it ran decently. Even KDE, while not snappy, was ok (but no where near as good as fluxbox/gnome/xd2gen2). If I can figure out the other problems, maybe I can try it again with some more optimizations? I'll see when it all works first...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: