View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arafaen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess that I've never used Mandrake. I tried Redhat many years ago (around 1996 or so) but only until I realized that most of the files were in non-standard locations. I've been told that they fixed that a while ago, but I'd long since moved (back) to Slackware by then.

Now, when people ask me to recommend a distro to them, I recommend RH to the people who just want to "use" Linux, and Slackware (usually) to people who want to learn Linux. I love Gentoo, but I don't recommend it to everyone because I think it takes a special kind of geek to be willing to wait fifteen hours for KDE to compile, and most of my friends are not quite that patient. :)
mickwd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Mandrake myself for years, and I find it a little hard to believe that people still have such problems with it.

Yes, they do have more than their fair share of bugs, and some of they're utilities have been pretty poor (almost non-functional in some cases). But they're much better than they used to be - 9.1 is actually very good.

They could also do with publicising some of their features a bit better.

I still find it incredible that people complain about RPM hell in Mandrake when they can use "urpmi" which solves the dependency issues for them (in exactly the same way as apt-get on Debian). You can also use the graphical package installation tool in the Mandrake Control Center, which also handles any dependencies for you.

If you want to do development on Mandrake, install the development tools during the install, or use the tools mentioned above to install in afterwards. I've never heard of needing to install users into any group to give them compile access.

I even installed Gentoo via a chroot from Mandrake, because Mandrake worked better than the Gentoo live CD on my hardware (NForce2, SATA.....). This also meant I had a fully-operational installation to use (complete with KDE, XMMS, etc....) while doing a stage 1 Gentoo install.

Mandrake IS aimed at newbies, but it doesn't hold back experienced users either - I've been using Unix/Linux for over 15 years, so I know what I'm doing. You don't need to use the wizards and GUI tools to get things done, just because they're there. Actually, if you're going to configure things on Mandrake, best to use EITHER the Mandrake GUI tools, OR do it the traditional way, and don't mix them up - Mandrake isn't the only system with this problem.

Mind you, I'm here because I'm also a Gentoo user - variety and choice is a wonderful thing ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: