Dual-Boot Disk Size Recommendations?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Dual-Boot Disk Size Recommendations? Reply with quote

I was going to post this in my related thread at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=4797 but I think this belongs on it's own. As the other thread states, I have an existing Windows 2000 Pro install on a 40 GB hard drive, all of it NTFS. The only real reason I keep Windows around is for games. Now with Gentoo I've got the motivation to go dual boot, planning for 10gb each for NTFS and ext2, and a 20 GB for FAT32 shared data drive.

Why this thread comes up is I'm looking for how people recommend partitioning their disks for such a thing. I'm frantically deleting/burning stuff from my hard drive to free up disk space, and now I'm at the point where most of the space is used by program files, not documents, and I've still got around 12gb used.

Of course the problem could be in my usage. My C:\Program Files\ directory is over 6 GB. Should I re-install my programs onto a larger FAT32 drive and only go maybe 4 GB for NTFS? But then I can see the exact same scenario occuring on the Linux side of things. I'm not sure if my budget (read: wife) will allow for just buying more disk.

So I'm interested in hearing what you guys and gals have done in this or similiar situations. Any advice would be much appreciated.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my primary HD (13G), I have a Win2K Pro partition (~2G), /boot (~100MB? I forget),
swap (256MB or 512MB, forget again) and /root partitions (~9G). I have a couple other
smaller NTFS drives for data & apps that I haven't migrated yet. My most recent
addition to the family is an 80G Maxtor and Promise TX2 controller. I've been lazy and
haven't moved my data here yet. Still have to research best fs for mp3 type files, and
one for video type files.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: