[Resolved]Broken system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMysteriousX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: [Resolved]Broken system Reply with quote

So, mother dearest unplugged my machine to plug in the hoover. The disk drive is formatted with ext3, uses the hdparam tweaks listed in the installation guide, and laptop-mode in it's default configuration to save a bit of power, so quite likely there was a quite a bit of stuff waiting to be written to disk waiting in RAM.

I ran fsck, detected a few broken things, and fixed them no problem (or so it claimed).

However, every operation portage performs ends with "* error scanning /etc". Google offers about 6 hits, most pointing at hard disk corruption (duh).

I have attempted to do an emerge --deep world, but it sticks at building apr (apache portable runtime). It gets to running libtoolize, and then sits idling with tar running at about 7% cpu. I've left it for 4 hours before now, and it just sits at the same stage.

revdep-rebuild finds no broken dependencies.

/var/log/emerge.log yields nothing, neither does running emerge with --verbose.

And that is the limit of my diagnostic skills.

I would quite like to recover this system, as it has a slightly slow 1GHz geode processor, making compile times quite high, so any suggestions of what to do next are gratefully received.

Last edited by TheMysteriousX on Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Master Shake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've attempted an emerge -e world and that's stopping something?
P35 Chipset
4 Gigs 800mhz 4-4-4-12
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX @ 630mhz
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must give full error message.
from your above post it is not clear what your computr can do
does emerge --sync work ok
try shutdown -F now will force a hd check and may correct the problem.
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the kernel produce any messages reporting problems with any partitions? Did the kernel try to mount any filesystems as read-only? If you manually explore /etc with a shell, can you find any signs of damage? Common problems include missing files, files with strange names (i.e. non-printing characters), or files which have all permissions set to no access.

What filesystems are you using for your partitions? Some filesystems are more robust than others. In particular, if you do not have a journaling filesystem, recovery could be more difficult.
TheMysteriousX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge --sync appears to succeed, aside from the error at the end, right before portage finishes and drops back to a prompt:

Code:
* error scanning '/etc'

The drive is partitioned with a swap area, and the rest a single ext3 partition.

Something I've noticed while watching it try to emerge stuff is a lot of these sort of errors popping up:
Code:

find: Filesystem loop detected; `//usr/lib/portage/pym/elog_modules' is part of the same filesystem loop as `//usr/lib/portage/pym'.

Usually 2 or 3 per package. I haven't noticed them before, so could they be related?

Kernel doesn't give any errors,

Rerunning fsck doesn't show any filesystem errors at the moment.

I've looked through etc (ls -alR) and i can't see anything that looked out of place. No junk characters in filenames, and permissions and owner seemed right.

Trying to rebuild gcc gives:

Code:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `po/be.gmo', needed by `all'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2/work/build/libcpp'
make: *** [all-libcpp] Error 2
 * ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *   ebuild.sh, line 1654:   Called dyn_compile
 *   ebuild.sh, line 990:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
 *   ebuild.sh, line 44:   Called src_compile
 *   ebuild.sh, line 1334:   Called toolchain_src_compile
 *   toolchain.eclass, line 26:   Called gcc_src_compile
 *   toolchain.eclass, line 1546:   Called gcc_do_make
 *   toolchain.eclass, line 1420:   Called die
 * emake failed with profiledbootstrap
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2/temp/build.log'.

Now for something really odd. I unmerged apr, thinking it would allow me to build the rest of the system. However, despite being unmerged, portage still tries to build it. Also, the list of packages to be updated (emerge --update) isn't changing; I just ran emerge --sync, and it tried to do the same packages before the sync, and after. I built one of the packaged for update (emerge --update binutils), then reran --update, and it was still in the list of packages needing to be updated.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont you try update-modules force
emerge emerge may help
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, emerge emerge will not help. The problem almost certainly has nothing to do with app-xemacs/emerge.

What is the exact command you used to run e2fsck? I am concerned that fsck has decided that the filesystem is "clean" and is not performing a proper analysis. If so, you should force it to check by running e2fsck -f /path/to/device. Beware that forcing an fsck while a filesystem is mounted (even read-only) is considered dangerous. If at all possible, you should unmount the filesystem completely before checking it. In your case, this means booting from a LiveCD / LiveDVD, since you need to check your root filesystem.
TheMysteriousX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the fs with a livecd, still no joy.

Looks like I'll have to write the install off and start again. Gives me an incentive to finish setting up dist-cc on my other machines ^^
TheMysteriousX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to fix it, though I don't really understand how.

Turns out the slocate database was corrupted. Simply erased the database, ran updatedb, and it is all magically working again. No "error scanning etc", no filesystem loop errors, and emerge is updating everything perfectly.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought slocate and db corrupation would have given a message to that effect.
cannot scan /etc is a very vauge report.
happy to see you could avoid a reinstallation. :D
TheMysteriousX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
i thought slocate and db corrupation would have given a message to that effect.
cannot scan /etc is a very vauge report.
happy to see you could avoid a reinstallation. :D

Yeah, a more specific error would have helped, I'll open a bug report on it, see if some more useful message can be used instead.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: