Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is there any use for matroska-metadata, yet?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Is there any use for matroska-metadata, yet? Reply with quote

I hope that this maybe leeds to a discussion, so please move to OTW if necessary. thx.

I must say, that I'm getting more and more fond of matroska and the mkv-container, 'cause imho it's got a lot of good possibilities, especially concerning metadata. For those who don't know it, you can add practically any info to an mkv-container, beginning with things like title or production year up to (i.e.) cover-images and a whole lot inbetween. Things like the mkvtoolnix-package make this quite easy, espacially when built with the wxwindows-flag.
Unfortunately, there seems to be no application, which makes use of the data given in an mkv. All important players (mplayer, xine, vlc, ...) can play these files without problems, but none of them is really able to show the incorporated metadata or only a very tiny subset. The same goes for filemanagers, nautilus, rox, thunar, konq, etc can all show preview-images of a movie, but not an included cover or special details - also things like mythtv behave in the same way, no wonder since they're relying on the players mentioned above.

Right now, you've got to have a movie + plus it's cover in seperate files to really make use of it, which isn't really it imho. Most music-players can handle mp3s which carry their cover included in id3v2, so why aren't the movie-players doing the same? It's not that matroska is a very young project, since it's alive since 2002, starting as a fork. It's not even a unix-thingy, players+codecs also exist for windows and if you have a look through some p2p-portals, there are more and more files released as mkv.

Have I missed the obvious or what do you think?

cheers,
ph
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the p2p scene has latched onto the Matroska container format, I think it's just a matter of time. Probably we need a Windows-based player to start making use of such features, then other software will follow.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think applications haven't added support for it because it's not very popular. Your best bet is to simply ping upstream and asking nicely for the features you'd like.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: