Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I can't merge python 2.4 without python 2.4...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azimux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: I can't merge python 2.4 without python 2.4... Reply with quote

I have a machine that I am trying to upgrade and am having a problem...

Code:

# emerge -pv portage

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!

[blocks B     ] <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking app-admin/python-updater-0.2)
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.17 [1.2.11] 227 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r4  +berkdb -bootstrap -build -doc -examples +gdbm -ipv6 +ncurses -nocxx -nothreads +readline +ssl -tk -ucs2 7,975 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.12 [2.0.51.22-r2] -build -doc (-elibc_FreeBSD) +elibc_glibc (-elibc_uclibc) -epydoc -linguas_pl (-selinux) +userland_GNU 328 kB
*** Portage will stop merging at this point and reload itself,
    recalculate dependencies, and complete the merge.
    You may avoid the remerging of packages by updating portage on its own.
[ebuild  N    ] app-admin/python-updater-0.2  2 kB
[ebuild  N    ] virtual/libiconv-0  0 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-devel/gettext-0.16.1-r1 [0.14.4] -doc -emacs +nls -nocxx 8,339 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 [5.2.1-r6] +acl* +nls (-selinux) -static -xattr 5,306 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r6  -bindist -gmp -test 150 kB

basically I need python-2.4.4-r4 on my system before portage can merge anything that lists portage-updater as a dependency, and python-2.4.4-r4 lists python-updater as a dependency. I submitted this as a bug but was told it was not a bug and was forwarded here and that the block is there for a reason. This makes me nervous trying to get around it since if it's there for a reason it seems like getting around it would be trivial. Not to mention we are talking about python here which can hose portage if I make a wrong decision.

My current idea is to install everything up to python-2.4.4-r4 (which I've already been doing, with sandbox the only thing remaining) and then install 2.4.4-r4 with --nodeps. Then install python-updater.

My question is: is this safe to do?

It looks like 2.3 and 2.4 will coexist just fine but that the python-updater can not merge if the highest version installed is less than 2.3.6-r2. I have already tried several combinations of safe options and various packages and utilities to get around this problem, so no need to recommend something like emerge =dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r4 or emerge -u python, etc, unless you know it will work.

I suspect the underlying problem is that this machine wasn't touched for 1.5 years and I think in that time updates to portage handled this situation just fine but at some point people who didn't already have 2.4 installed and an old version of portage wound up blocked.
libero
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: upgrade lower python Reply with quote

hi

I had the same problem, just found your post. Turns out I have 2 versions of python, a 2.3* and a 2.4*
the issue is that the 2.3* version is too low. find this out by "equery list python"

in order to upgrade the lower python I set this in my /etc/portage/package.keywords

Code:
=dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2   ~x86

I then executed an upgrade like this:

Code:
emerge -av =dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2

This upgrade effectively pulled in the prerequisites, including python-updater. I can now emerge system as I intended. Should work for you as well.

good luck

Leo
azimux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leo, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately that doesn't work. I had somewhat tried that before with USE="~x86" emerge =dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2

When I try what you specified above, I get this:

Code:
 # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
=dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2   ~x86

Code:
# emerge -av =dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2

[blocks B     ] <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking app-admin/python-updater-0.2)

[ebuild     U ] dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 [2.3.5-r3] +berkdb -bootstrap -build -doc -examples +gdbm -ipv6 +ncurses -nocxx -nothreads +readline +ssl -tk -ucs2 7,186 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.17 [1.2.11] 227 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r4  +berkdb -bootstrap -build -doc -examples +gdbm -ipv6 +ncurses -nocxx -nothreads +readline +ssl -tk -ucs2 7,975 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.12 [2.0.51.22-r2] -build -doc (-elibc_FreeBSD) +elibc_glibc (-elibc_uclibc) -epydoc -linguas_pl (-selinux) +userland_GNU 328 kB
*** Portage will stop merging at this point and reload itself,
    recalculate dependencies, and complete the merge.
    You may avoid the remerging of packages by updating portage on its own.
[ebuild  N    ] virtual/libiconv-0  0 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-devel/gettext-0.16.1-r1 [0.14.4] -doc -emacs +nls -nocxx 8,339 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 [5.2.1-r6] +acl* +nls (-selinux) -static -xattr 5,306 kB

Total size of downloads: 29,516 kB

!!! Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be installed
!!!        on the same system.
azimux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/code]I should also point out this which seems like a bug:

Code:

# USE="~x86" emerge -pv =dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2

Calculating dependencies
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)

and...

Code:

# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv =dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2

*snip*

Last edited by azimux on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arfrever
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the output of:
Code:
emerge -ptv =python-2.4*
emerge --info

Perduodu linkėjimus
Arfrever
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azimux wrote:
I should also point out this which seems like a bug:

# USE="~x86" emerge -pv =dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2

Calculating dependencies
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)

USE != ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
azimux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone: yeah I just updated that post, sry about that. ACCEPT_KEYWORDS fails too
azimux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfrever wrote:
Post the output of:
Code:
emerge -ptv =python-2.4*

Code:

# emerge -ptv =python-2.4*

These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:

[ebuild     U ]  sys-devel/gettext-0.16.1-r1 [0.14.4] -doc -emacs +nls -nocxx 8,339 kB
[ebuild  N    ]   virtual/libiconv-0  0 kB
[ebuild     U ]  sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.12 [2.0.51.22-r2] -build -doc (-elibc_FreeBSD) +elibc_glibc (-elibc_uclibc) -epydoc -linguas_pl (-selinux) +userland_GNU 328 kB
[ebuild     U ]   sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.17 [1.2.11] 227 kB

Total size of downloads: 22,329 kB

Quote:
Code:
emerge --info

Code:

# emerge --info
Portage 2.0.51.22-r2 (default-linux/x86/2007.0, gcc-3.3.5-20050130, glibc-2.3.4.20041102-r1, 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i586)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i586 AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.13
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
app-shells/bash:     3.0-r12
dev-java/java-config: [Not Present]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r3
dev-python/pycrypto: [Not Present]
dev-util/ccache:     [Not Present]
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.11.13-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.11
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61-r1
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.5, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r10
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.11-r4
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.18-r1
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
CBUILD="i386-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=k6 -pipe"
CHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=k6 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo ftp://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/ http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 acl berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cups dri expat fortran gdbm iconv isdnlog java jikes jpeg junit libwww mhash midi mudflap mysql ncurses nls nptl nptlonly openmp pam pcre perl php png pppd python readline reflection session spl ssl tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode xml2 xorg zlib video_cards_apm video_cards_ark video_cards_chips video_cards_cirrus video_cards_cyrix video_cards_dummy video_cards_fbdev video_cards_glint video_cards_i128 video_cards_i740 video_cards_i810 video_cards_imstt video_cards_mach64 video_cards_mga video_cards_neomagic video_cards_nsc video_cards_nv video_cards_r128 video_cards_radeon video_cards_rendition video_cards_s3 video_cards_s3virge video_cards_savage video_cards_siliconmotion video_cards_sis video_cards_sisusb video_cards_tdfx video_cards_tga video_cards_trident video_cards_tseng video_cards_v4l video_cards_vesa video_cards_vga video_cards_via video_cards_vmware video_cards_voodoo input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse input_devices_evdev userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc alsa_cards_ali5451 alsa_cards_als4000 alsa_cards_atiixp alsa_cards_atiixp-modem alsa_cards_bt87x alsa_cards_ca0106 alsa_cards_cmipci alsa_cards_emu10k1 alsa_cards_emu10k1x alsa_cards_ens1370 alsa_cards_ens1371 alsa_cards_es1938 alsa_cards_es1968 alsa_cards_fm801 alsa_cards_hda-intel alsa_cards_intel8x0 alsa_cards_intel8x0m alsa_cards_maestro3 alsa_cards_trident alsa_cards_usb-audio alsa_cards_via82xx alsa_cards_via82xx-modem alsa_cards_ymfpci alsa_pcm_plugins_adpcm alsa_pcm_plugins_alaw alsa_pcm_plugins_asym alsa_pcm_plugins_copy alsa_pcm_plugins_dmix alsa_pcm_plugins_dshare alsa_pcm_plugins_dsnoop alsa_pcm_plugins_empty alsa_pcm_plugins_extplug alsa_pcm_plugins_file alsa_pcm_plugins_hooks alsa_pcm_plugins_iec958 alsa_pcm_plugins_ioplug alsa_pcm_plugins_ladspa alsa_pcm_plugins_lfloat alsa_pcm_plugins_linear alsa_pcm_plugins_meter alsa_pcm_plugins_mulaw alsa_pcm_plugins_multi alsa_pcm_plugins_null alsa_pcm_plugins_plug alsa_pcm_plugins_rate alsa_pcm_plugins_route alsa_pcm_plugins_share alsa_pcm_plugins_shm alsa_pcm_plugins_softvol lcd_devices_bayrad lcd_devices_cfontz lcd_devices_cfontz633 lcd_devices_glk lcd_devices_hd44780 lcd_devices_lb216 lcd_devices_lcdm001 lcd_devices_mtxorb lcd_devices_ncurses lcd_devices_text"
Unset:  CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install python-updater with --nodeps, then install >=python-2.4, then install >=portage-2.1.2, then run python-updater, then update or remove python-2.3 (the order is very important)
azimux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Genone, I'm attempting that right now.

It's similar to what I wanted to try except I was going to --nodeps 2.4.4-r2. I'm glad you gave me the right order.

Is this a bug then? Seems like python-updater should block on <2.3.5-r2 not <2.3.6-r2

Also, if you have time, could you explain how you were able to determine the proper order to install these?
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

azimux wrote:
Is this a bug then? Seems like python-updater should block on <2.3.5-r2 not <2.3.6-r2

No, the blocker is correct (<python-2.3.6-r2 included the python-updater script directly, later versions split it into a separate package).

Quote:
Also, if you have time, could you explain how you were able to determine the proper order to install these?

The core problem is a circular dependency python -> python-updater -> portage-2.1.2 -> python-2.4 (just take a look at the involved ebuilds). In order to get around it you need to get one of the last three installed first, and python-updater was the best candidate (as it's small and only used when directly invoked, so breaking it temporary isn't such a big deal).
jouzts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks Genone for a succinct statement of THE SOLUTION Reply with quote

I am posting to this stale thread in the hopes of getting it into earlier search results for those upgrading old, decommissioned Gentoo boxes, or any Gentoo box that does not yet have python 2.4 on it. Not all Gentoo boxes have ready access to the Internet for frequent updates.

Genone explains the how and why of the circular python blockers, BRAVO. Great developer support. You saved the world from some more
Ubuntu systems.

Many thanks,

John
ewtrowbr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. This post helped me a great deal as well.

Erich
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: