Guide mysql + php + myadmin + apache
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Guide mysql + php + myadmin + apache Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with an A-to-Z guide to setting up mysql, php, phpmyadmin and apache on a fresh install of a stage3 gentoo ? I think this would help other users also since we'd all be saved the time wasted on gentoo wiki while installing each of them separately and then bugging ppl for days on end to get it all to work properly. (btw by A-to-Z I mean USE flags added, everything that was emerged in order and all the config file changes so that any moron reading the guide would be able to setup mysql and apache with php and phpmyadmin support with mysql access.... and NOT a bunch of links fro wiki).

Thanks in advance and I hope this thread will eventually result in a proper guide for anyone with a fresh installation of a stage3 gentoo.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so that any moron reading the guide would be able to setup mysql and apache with php and phpmyadmin support with mysql access

I'm not sure if gentoo is really the distro for morons; better they use ubuntu, where I bet they could set this stuff up without editing many config files at all! but in regards to the real topic at hand,
Quote:
Can anyone help me with an A-to-Z guide to setting up mysql, php, phpmyadmin and apache on a fresh install of a stage3 gentoo ?

The big problem is that the USE flags, config file settings, and whatnot, are likely to change for everyone. Besides, people have already written howtos on LAMP (that's linux, apache,php, mysql) and on phpmyadmin (is this for stuff other than mysql?) , and perhaps that's why nobody's written an exhaustive summary of the process.

I will refrain from posting links I suppose, but I recommend you start with LAMP and then set up phpmyadmin on top of it afterwards. If you take notes on the process step-by-step, I will consider helping you assemble and edit them.
gn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik258 thx for the LAMP suggestion
Quote:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/LAMP

here's what I got so far, feel free to correct me on any issues:

MySQL
# some of these might now really be needed but I figured the safe than sorry approach works
emerge -a mysql-init-scripts sys-auth/pam_mysql virtual/mysql mysql-administrator mysql-query-browser pam_mysql virtual/mysql dev-db/mysql
# emerge --config dev-db/mysql should also work
emerge --config =dev-db/mysql-5.0.44-r1
mysql_install_db
/etc/init.d/mysql start
rc-update add mysql default

Apache, PHP & MyAdmin
USE="apache2 posix session pcre" emerge -a dev-lang/php dev-db/phpmyadmin
emerge --config =apache-2.2.4-r12
rc-update add apache2 default

add APACHE2_OPTS="-D DEFAULT_VHOST -D PHP5" to /etc/conf.d/apache2
add ServerName yourserver.yourdomain.com to /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
after phpmyadmin is installed in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpmyadmin/ or wherever you chose to put it, you'll have to edit config.inc.php so here are 2 things you should have in there:
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie'; so you'll be asked each time for an usr and pass, great for public servers
$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'hellowworld'; use whatever secret you want but put one so admin won't bug ya
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: