Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
mrness wrote:
d2_racing wrote:
zachman123 wrote:
Just wanted to throw in that the expat headache and such are what made me switch over to Arch... both are great distros however.

An another victim of the expat...that's very sad.

Every gentooer should know by now all about revdep-rebuild and how to handle "error while loading shared libraries" errors. I agree there are more elegant ways to cope with such changes, but right now this is how gentoo handle major library updates. Know your tools and you'll never be a victim again :lol:

well... you will still be a victim but you will know how to get it working. I got hit by the dbus-1.# update but I straights away went for revdep-rebuild and all sorted

dbus was like hell, I can remember
STiAT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys guys.

First of all, i've just read this by switching from the arch boards to this boards. I'm a TU in arch, and from my point of view - this thread is nonsense.

Let me put up some facts:
- Linux is Linux, and differs just from the implementation, goals and targeted users.
- A distribution such as Gentoo will always be more flexible than any binary distribution, for optimizations done at compile time.

Arch claims, to be a fast i686 and x86_64 distribution - and trust me, it is. It also claims to follow the "Kiss" philosophy, which we do.

Other facts:
- Arch can be completely re-built from source, by running one command.
- We do not want to be similar, faster or better than Gentoo. We aim for users who like the philosophy we daily live in linux. A binary based system, which is highly customizable, and we don't talk about the compiler options in this case, we talk about the software and environments used (e17? gnome? kde? xfce? You rather prefer to keep it simple with fluxbox? Want slim as login manager? Here you go.. what ever you like, as in gentoo).

Gentoo is a wonderful system. Don't get me wrong, it is, and the ebuild / emerge system is great. Also, you're doing a great work on patchsets, patches for non-functional compiles, as well as you have a large scale of users testing "builds", with different compiler options, what improves the quality all over the linux projects. I think in Gentoo, a lot of people have quite high skills when it comes to code errors, compiler errors and tracking of those bugs, and therefore, you're always a welcome source for anyone in the Linux community.

Also, your wiki is a great point to start at - also for arch users in a lot of cases, since it contains very detailed descriptions about configuration of different applications. Your whole community does a great job, and you should keep it up.

Don't hassle, you have a unique system, and are heading for your goals, and we're heading for our goals, which has some lacks in the implementation of pacman, and features in our package management, wich gentoo gently provides for years now.
Also we have a slower response time on package updates, leaking developers and package maintainers, we have less packages in our standard repositories, etc. etc.

You also got the cap between i686 and x86_64 faster and easier, you do not need to rebuild them, the users will try, patch around and try to get it running. For me, that's a great thing done for the linux community in general.

Face it, all freely available distributions do not work so hard to build "the only linux available", or the "only choice" we're working on distributions fitting the needs of a target group, or more target groups, and Gentoo as well as Arch is doing great in this, and you will agree when i say we will never be the target distribution for all users around the world, since we don't even want to come up with a "full featured i-have-all-tools and gui-configurable" distribution.
If i would build a high-performance-linux-server, i'd also rather start with gentoo, trying to build with the best optimization for the architecture i use, instead of doing nothing.

Feel the spirit of freedom, feel glad to have the choice. I do, every day i turn on my computer at work, or at home.

Yours,
STiAT
Arch Linux TU

PS: Yes, i read the thread. No, we don't ship xmms as default with DEs anymore, but you're free to install it.
PS2: Yes, we also have problem with binary builds. I, in example, have still problems with kio-sysinfo on core 2 duo cpus. It builds fine, but crashes when calling it. On my Pentium 4 machine it works fine, the same binary package, built on the core 2 duo machine. Being binary does not prevent you from problems with different hardware architectures.
PS3: Re-Read the wiki. It was edited for you guys ;)
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STiAT wrote:

PS: Yes, i read the thread. No, we don't ship xmms as default with DEs anymore, but you're free to install it.

Good Arch! Good! :wink:
Gentii
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
didymos wrote:

Quote:
Cons: every other day you get a kernel2.6 update :-)

What, do you have to install the update in order to make the system work right? I hope not.

dunno, but he ain't joking today is the first day in a while that there hasn't been a new kernel build being pulled in
couple that with the stupid way arch deals with kernels they are going to hit some problems soon

Hmm, that just happened recently :
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=36505

Not hard to fix though, just boot on a livecd, chroot, and downgrade kernel. but still :)
Gentii
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:

P.S. expat is still the old one.
erm67@archlinux$ locate libexpat
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.1
/usr/lib/libexpat.a
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
/usr/lib/libexpat.so

Well, I have the same output here, but :
Code:

> pacman -Q expat
expat 2.0.1-1

And Gentoo seems to be using the same version.
So I am a bit confused now :p
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentii wrote:
Naib wrote:
didymos wrote:

Quote:
Cons: every other day you get a kernel2.6 update :-)

What, do you have to install the update in order to make the system work right? I hope not.

dunno, but he ain't joking today is the first day in a while that there hasn't been a new kernel build being pulled in
couple that with the stupid way arch deals with kernels they are going to hit some problems soon

Hmm, that just happened recently :
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=36505

Not hard to fix though, just boot on a livecd, chroot, and downgrade kernel. but still :)

Oh I know it ain't hard to fix, and years of (continued) Gentoo use makes it 2nd nature, its just the way arch manages kernel installs seems... dumb
ONE /lib/modules/ directory and that isn't logically named

install name is logical, showing complete version name
Code:

Fluid-Server ~ # pacman -Q kernel26
kernel26 2.6.22.6-1

YET
Code:

Fluid-Server ~ # uname -r
2.6.22-ARCH

and also:

Code:

Fluid-Server ~ # ll /boot
total 8372
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  779768 2007-08-31 20:55 System.map26
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 2007-09-02 19:49 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   72885 2007-09-01 10:10 kconfig26
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4443988 2007-09-01 10:13 kernel26-fallback.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1461847 2007-09-01 10:11 kernel26.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1777176 2007-08-31 20:55 vmlinuz26
Fluid-Server ~ # ll /lib/modules/
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2007-09-01 10:10 2.6.22-ARCH

I sorry but appending -ARCH is NOT a good way to manage kernels, esp when Arch try to be "clever" and have a fallback image YET no fallback modules directory
Arch is good, Arch is nice but it has some very strange and potentially dangerous dev decisions, this is one of them
Coelacanth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

I sorry but appending -ARCH is NOT a good way to manage kernels, esp when Arch try to be "clever" and have a fallback image YET no fallback modules directory

Especially with a binary distributed kernel where most drivers are almost sure to be built as modules.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob1n wrote:
Paapaa wrote:
And in the case of links, why is X a dependency if it is not mandatory? Or does links have to know at compile time if X will be present or not?

If you want to link it against the X libraries at compile time then they (and the corresponding header files) need to be installed. Gentoo packages tend to assume that you'll be running apps locally so usually insist on install a full X implementation.

Gentoo packages don't assume anything, they only know what what dependencies they have,
alot of which are dictated by $USE

Default use flags for profile foo usually bring X in; try setting USE="-*" and you wont see any
X related stuff unless you set a use flag like GTK, XPM, X that depends on those xorg libraries.

I have plenty of servers with nmap, wireshark & links on them and they don't try to install X
because I don't have the gtk flag set.

Gentoo's true strength comes into play when you really need to control what is installed but
more importantly what is not installed, either by choice or by an organizational security policy.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentii wrote:
erm67 wrote:

P.S. expat is still the old one.
erm67@archlinux$ locate libexpat
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.1
/usr/lib/libexpat.a
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
/usr/lib/libexpat.so

Well, I have the same output here, but :
Code:

> pacman -Q expat
expat 2.0.1-1

And Gentoo seems to be using the same version.
So I am a bit confused now :p

In fact Arch used the 2.0 version of expat for a long time now, I posted without checking if it was really true :-)
If you are curious to know how arch would have handled the problem this the answer I got from an Arch developer (looks like he didn't noticed that my affirmation about libexpat being 1.x.x were wrong)
iphitus wrote:
erm67 wrote:
Arch still uses libexpat 1.x how will it be updated in a 'rolling release' fashion without breaking most users systems?

Typically, the updated version of the offending lib is placed in testing. There's a todo list that we follow, containing all the applications that link with that lib, which we go through and rebuild. Once that's done, and there's no known outstanding issues, we move it and the applications to extra/current. Sometimes if it can safely wait, we wait until there's a few big rebuilds, so we can get them all done at once as this offers the least amount of disruption for users.

James

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net

Last edited by erm67 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coelacanth wrote:
Naib wrote:

Especially with a binary distributed kernel where most drivers are almost sure to be built as modules.

From the discussions on their forum I think that most users dislike the official kernel, in fact it is not even installed by the base group and must be installed explicitly, most users use self compiled kernels with various patchsets.

erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
STiAT wrote:

erm67@archlinux:$ ls /media/Arch\ Linux\ CURRENT\ i686/arch/pkg/xmms-1.2.10-8.pkg.tar.gz
/media/Arch Linux CURRENT i686/arch/pkg/xmms-1.2.10-8.pkg.tar.gz

It is shipped with the latest iso however :-)

Gentii
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
didymos wrote:
STiAT wrote:

erm67@archlinux:$ ls /media/Arch\ Linux\ CURRENT\ i686/arch/pkg/xmms-1.2.10-8.pkg.tar.gz
/media/Arch Linux CURRENT i686/arch/pkg/xmms-1.2.10-8.pkg.tar.gz

It is shipped with the latest iso however :-)

Well, I am afraid these days are over, since xmms was moved to community on last repo cleanup :
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?do_Details=1&ID=122
Gentii
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

Oh I know it ain't hard to fix, and years of (continued) Gentoo use makes it 2nd nature, its just the way arch manages kernel installs seems... dumb
ONE /lib/modules/ directory and that isn't logically named

install name is logical, showing complete version name
Code:

Fluid-Server ~ # pacman -Q kernel26
kernel26 2.6.22.6-1

YET
Code:

Fluid-Server ~ # uname -r
2.6.22-ARCH

Well, I find this odd from times to times, but not sure if it is really a bad thing.
Don't modules compiled for 2.6.x.y generally work with 2.6.x.y+1 ?

Quote:

and also:

Code:

Fluid-Server ~ # ll /boot
total 8372
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  779768 2007-08-31 20:55 System.map26
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 2007-09-02 19:49 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   72885 2007-09-01 10:10 kconfig26
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4443988 2007-09-01 10:13 kernel26-fallback.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1461847 2007-09-01 10:11 kernel26.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1777176 2007-08-31 20:55 vmlinuz26
Fluid-Server ~ # ll /lib/modules/
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2007-09-01 10:10 2.6.22-ARCH

Arch is good, Arch is nice but it has some very strange and potentially dangerous dev decisions, this is one of them

Hmm, I am not sure I understand what would fallback modules do.
That kernel26-fallback.img is just the safe and big initrd, with most things built in.
That way, we can try to squeeze down the normal kernel26.img initrd by disabling the stuff we don't need (eg raid, sata, usb, etc).
And if we ever mess something, we can fallback on that other initrd.
I don't see anything wrong there.

What may be wrong in my opinion is that there is only one kernel26 package.
So when going from 2.6.22 to 2.6.23 , it is just the kernel26 package that is upgraded, so the previous 2.6.22 kernel is lost.
And if the 2.6.23 kernel doesn't boot, well, it's not cool :)

This can easily be solved by using another kernel branch (eg -ck , -mm), or just building a custom kernel.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Misfit138
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
It's just as well. The kernel26 Arch ships is complete crap. The recommended Arch way of building a custom kernel is absolutely, completely, stone-ass retarded. A distribution that can't handle cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig has some serious problems.

I use cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig for my Kernel builds with Arch. It handles it just fine. :wink:
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Misfit138
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:
nightmorph wrote:
It's just as well. The kernel26 Arch ships is complete crap. The recommended Arch way of building a custom kernel is absolutely, completely, stone-ass retarded. A distribution that can't handle cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig has some serious problems.

I use cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig for my Kernel builds with Arch. It handles it just fine. :wink:

Ah, but what about rebuilding binary modules against that custom compiled kernel? nvidia, madwifi, etc. ;)

You are describing my system quite well. I have 2 bootable kernels at all times. One custom compiled from kernel.org sources, using /usr/src/linux, make menuconfig, and one default kernel through pacman which is constantly being upgraded with each release. I have 2 nvidia modules; one binary installed through pacman for the default -ARCH kernel and one compiled with ABS against my custom kernel. They co-exist nicely. :)
One could, theoretically, have as many kernels in parallel this way as one wishes on Arch.
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:

Nightmorph: Arch handles a standard kernel build with no problems whatsoever. I'd expect a gentoo developer to check their facts before blindly and incorrectly abusing another distro.

All: Tone the discussion down. Remember the forum guidelines[1] and the gentoo code of conduct[2]. If you want to criticise a distro, do it in a mature and constructive manner.

James

[1] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-525.html
[2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/coc.xml
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iphitus wrote:

All: Tone the discussion down. Remember the forum guidelines[1] and the gentoo code of conduct[2]. If you want to criticise a distro, do it in a mature and constructive manner.

OK, while you may have a point, you're hardly in a position to be issuing orders to anybody. I think "putting on airs" would apply here. In less mature and constructive terms: you're not the boss of me.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:

The official Arch kernel had some problems recently but is not as bad as you imagine, yes probably the versioning thing could improve it but I am fully satisfied, I have to use grub and not lilo, and mount my /boot partition automatically but that doesn't mean it is crap. At least I don't have all the bs running (xfs,jfs,sata daemons) that genkernel starts, starting by default support for all possible fs like genkernel does is also not extremely clever :-)
Their mkinitcpio, a tool to create a initrd containing the modules required by the system, is also more advanced than gentoos mkinitrd. In fact tries to guess the required modules than creates 2 initrd one with its guesses (can be also controlled with a .conf) and a second (fallback) with everything. Maybe is not perfect but much better than genkernel mkinitrd approach (static) on my opinion.
And problems are usually handled pretty fast in Arch.

Last edited by erm67 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:20 am; edited 5 times in total
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentii wrote:

Well, I am afraid these days are over, since xmms was moved to community on last repo cleanup :
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?do_Details=1&ID=122

I downloaded the official Don't panic iso 2 weeks ago and xmms is on my cd. For someone dowloading the official iso the fact that is in community and not in base or extra is not that important.
It is on the official Don't Panic 2007.08 ISO.
It is a very good thing on my opinion and probably others think the same. Probably to completely drop xmms from gentoo was over-zealotism.

steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
iphitus wrote:

OK, while you may have a point, you're hardly in a position to be issuing orders to anybody. I think "putting on airs" would apply here. In less mature and constructive terms: you're not the boss of me.

No he's not, but he's absolutely right to ask people to chill out a bit. Thanks iphitus. Why do you think it useful to use "less mature and constructive terms"? He didn't address his remarks to you specifically, so why take umbrage? If you can see it's immature as you write it, maybe you should just delete it..

We're all on the same side really, since we all use pretty much the same code at a base level. OFC Gentoo is the best, but we don't have to be arrogant about it: smug will do ;P
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
didymos wrote:
iphitus wrote:

No he's not, but he's absolutely right to ask people to chill out a bit. Thanks iphitus. Why do you think it useful to use "less mature and constructive terms"? He didn't address his remarks to you specifically, so why take umbrage? If you can see it's immature as you write it, maybe you should just delete it..

We're all on the same side really, since we all use pretty much the same code at a base level. OFC Gentoo is the best, but we don't have to be arrogant about it: smug will do ;P

yer we just know we are the best ;)

Arch is good, its just how arch manages its kernels is a PITA! I got hit with it when arch rolled out 2.6.22 when I was still running 2.6.21-ARCH (whatever version...) and when I went to modprobe something it obviously FAIL due to missing /lib/modules folder
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
I got hit with it when arch rolled out 2.6.22 when I was still running 2.6.21-ARCH (whatever version...) and when I went to modprobe something it obviously FAIL due to missing /lib/modules folder

This sounds unrealistic, you were modprobing something so your system was running and kernel booted, but /lib/modules were missing (how did it booted???)

Ah I got it, you updated the kernel and pacman deleted the /lib(modules/ directory of your running kernel ....

That is bad :-)

Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
Naib wrote:
I got hit with it when arch rolled out 2.6.22 when I was still running 2.6.21-ARCH (whatever version...) and when I went to modprobe something it obviously FAIL due to missing /lib/modules folder

This sounds unrealistic, you were modprobing something so your system was running and kernel booted, but /lib/modules were missing (how did it booted???)

Ah I got it, you updated the kernel and pacman deleted the /lib(modules/ directory of your running kernel ....

That is bad :-)

Installed arch, ran for a few months with a few updates and a few kernel updates and no reboots
decide to start to mess around with iptables so follow gentoo guide and modprobe suitable modules

I get a nice error stating cannot locate /lib/modules/2.6.21-ARCH ...
goto /lib/modules and lo and behold NO 2.6.21-ARCH folder, just a 2.6.22-ARCH folder.
uname -r returns I am running 2.6.21-ARCH but within /boot there are only images for 2.6.22-ARCH
so yes basically ARCH deleted the /lib/modules/`uname -r` folder WHILE THE KERNEL WAS IN USE!!!!

a reboot was needed (thus I was then running 2.6.22-ARCH) to then carry on with iptables

This highlighted the piss-poor management of stock-kernels that Arch pushes out.
This is going to occur again when arch pushes out 2.6.23-ARCH UNLESS the dev's do something about it

so it is a realistic problem, and I have describe it (3times now) exactly how it happened and also recomemnded what arch-dev's should do abt it, and that is basically what Gentoo does and that is slot's (one of gentoo's fantastic features that arch should learn from)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: