Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I'm having a few problems after installing on my ps3...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snookies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: I'm having a few problems after installing on my ps3... Reply with quote

Sorry. I'm not sure if any of these questions have been answered before and plus I just learned about linux yesterday... ok so I used the livecd to install it, and it comes up with the login page. Now i've created usernames several times, and they work fine on my login, but every time I reboot or turn off my ps3 it deletes everything i've done. I was wondering if there was a way to save things like that. Now my second question is about emerge I've tried to emerge superadduser and it says something like "there is no ebuildfile or cannot find ebuildfile." Finally my third question is there any way to use gentoo without having to have the disc in at all times? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. :)
downer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It sounds like you are just running gentoo from the LiveCD, and has not moved the installation over to your harddrive, or? You could try following some instructions, like these: http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3
The normal installation guides could also be of some help: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
Since I dont own a PS3 myself I am unable to help you further, sorry.

//D
snookies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help but i'm still having a problem. I can't get my wireless internet to work so i've been trying to install the stage 4 tarball straight from a memory stick using this command line "cp /mnt/memstick/stage4-970-ps3_32ul.tar.tar /" or something very similar but it keeps saying something like "not enough memory on the device" so I don't know what to do...
once again though thank you for your help.
downer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snookies wrote:
thanks for your help but i'm still having a problem. I can't get my wireless internet to work so i've been trying to install the stage 4 tarball straight from a memory stick using this command line "cp /mnt/memstick/stage4-970-ps3_32ul.tar.tar /" or something very similar but it keeps saying something like "not enough memory on the device" so I don't know what to do...
once again though thank you for your help.

If you are indeed running from the LiveCD, "/" will be on the cdrom, which of course does not have any space left. Follow the guides I sent previously to prepare and mount your harddrive, then copy the file there. It should work better.

Best regards,
//D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: