Problems with Acer Aspire 7520g and installing Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amfabeta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Problems with Acer Aspire 7520g and installing Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi. I have problems installing Gentoo for my Acer Aspire 7520g. I try to do fresh install and boot with Gentoo cd but Gentoo doesn't recognize my NIC (+some other devices). I need to use Wired connection with this setup. Can someone help me to solve this problem? this is what lspci says:
Code:
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0547 (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge:  nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0548 (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus:  nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0542 (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory:  nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0541 (rev a2)
00:01.3 Co-processor:  nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0543 (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller:  nVidia Corporation Unknown device 055e (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller:  nVidia Corporation Unknown device 055f (rev a2)
00:04.0 USB Controller:  nVidia Corporation Unknown device 055e (rev a2)
00:04.1 USB Controller:  nVidia Corporation Unknown device 055f (rev a2)
00:06:0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0560 (rev a1)
00:07:0 Audio interface: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 055c (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0561 (rev a2)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0550 (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 054c (rev a1)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0562 (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0563 (rev a2)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0563 (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Hypertransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:04.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
01:04.1 Class 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
01:04.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown Device 0843 (rev 12)
01:04.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
01:04.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0428 (rev a1)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

What that "nVidia Corporation Unknown device" means? Is it even possible to install Gentoo in this system? It's weird that even if this laptop should be fully supported with Windows vista, even windows can't recognize my NIC. :( Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try playing around in the BIOS?
Amfabeta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did but there's poor abilities to configure anything. Basically all I can do is change boot priority and supervisor password. I think that BIOS version is also latest made for this product.
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... my next guess would be that an important kernel module is not enabled, although I personally doubt it.

To be sure that it's not a Linux problem, however, I'd try to make this run on Windows first.

[EDIT]
Just me being curious: Could you tell me who's the person on your avatar? :wink:
q-parser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should have no problems installing gentoo on this system. 'lspci' says that it recognizes your NIC (network interface card, if I get it right). With network not working you are still able to install gentoo.

As far as "nVidia Corporation Unknown device" is concerned, don't bother with this. It's fine. You'll just install nvidia-drivers later on.
Amfabeta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for help. I managed to install everything under Windows Vista. I just needed specific nvidia drivers for chipset. I'm quite sure that nvidia has made same drivers for linux too. I'll try to install Gentoo without internet connection and see if I can get everything working afterwards. 8) Btw is amd64-install cd the correct one for Turion 64 x2 TL-56 processors or is there other options?

I don't know about the person in my avatar. I've been wondering the same thing. I just selected it from the avatar list that gentoo forum offers. :roll:
mpiter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find an Ethernet driver for your card?

I have just bought the same computer, I installed gentoo on it, but I could not find the right Nvidia driver for the Ethernet card. I have therefore no Internet connections. So did you solve this problem? I thank you for any piece of information.

pit
mpiter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel module for the Nvidia Ethernet controller was forcedeth and it could be found in Device Drivers -> Network device support -> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) -> EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers -> nForce Ethernet support. I also found out that eth0 was not related to the computer Ethernet port, eth1 was the right one to configure. I now have a good working Ethernet connection. Best regards,

pit
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord guys... how can you be so ... unresourcefull?

The person in that avatar is more than obviously Sean Young.

I just clicked on this topic cos I'm planning to buy the lappy so I wondered what the problem could be :P
mpiter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only at the beginning of the installation because I cannot work on that computer more than a couple of hours a day at best. I will make more progresses this Sunday. Up to know, it looks promising. My main complain is that I have never found a way to send the console display on the DVI port with my previous Ferrari 4000 and it looks the same here. Because I do not use the VGA port, I have to work with the laptop LCD screen when I am in console mode. This is boring.

I have already installed a basic gentoo with xorg-x11. lspci does not recognize several controllers including the Ethernet one and the audio one. I have already explained how to set the Ethernet port, I will try the audio controller later. I plan to install compiz-fusion soon. I will keep you informed. Best regards,

pit
Cybmax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem.. doing a modprobe forcedeth only loads the module, and nothing else.. ie. my network controller dont actually come up.

However.. booting on the Ubuntu livecd starts the network controller just fine.. so i dunno what to do really.. Kinda hard to install gentoo and getting a newer kernel without having any network at all.. (and yes.. the BCM43xx driver dont work for my wireless either)..

My plan was to try one of the 2.6.24 kernels to see if the b43 driver would be able to make my BCM4312 wireless work.. but now i cant even get the normal ethernet port to work..

Ideas?

C
mpiter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the forcedeth module inside the kernel 2.6.22-gentoo-r8, not as a module, and it worked without problems. This means using * instead of M for the nForce Ethernet support kernel option. Then I configured eth1 with only one line in /etc/conf.d/net:
Code:
config_eth1=( "dhcp" )

That was all. Give it a try.

As far as bcm43xx is concerned, I remember reading posts by many people meeting problems with that module. They had to use ndiswrapper to make their wireless connection to work. I have not tried yet.

Good luck.
mpiter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I configured the wifi card of my Acer Aspire 7520G, and it was tricky. A wlan0 or an ath0 interface had to be created, then the interface had to be configured for my network.

To create the right interface, we need to know which wifi card we have. lspci erroneously reports that the Acer computer contains an Atheros AR5006EG card while there actually is an Atheros AR5007EG card. This is a known bug (see http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/Atheros). As a consequence, do not try to use madwifi-ng drivers (version 0.9.3.3 when I wrote these lines) because the package supports the AR5006EG card but not the AR5007EG. There are presently no working drivers yet for that card. Madwifi team has been waiting for an Atheros HAL for more than 8 months from Atheros company, but nothing has come yet. Without it, madwifi team cannot provide us with a working driver. They are now working on an ath5k driver that might support AR5007EG cards, but it is still in progress with no announced deadlines. I tried the driver and I could not make it work. Hence, the only present solution is using ndiswrapper with a 64-bit Windows XP driver if you use a 64-bit kernel. Do not try Vista drivers because people reported problems with them. Go to http://www.atheros.cz/, download the 64-bit XP driver for AR5007EG, and run
Code:
# emerge ndiswrapper     # if it has not been done yet
# unzip xp64-5.3.0.56-whql.zip
# ndiswrapper -i net5211.inf
# modprobe ndiswrapper

If everything works well, you should have a working wlan0 interface.

Then, wlan0 has to be configured. Either wpa_supplicant or wireless-tools can be used. Follow http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=4&chap=4 tutorial. If you use wireless-tools for a network managed with a simple static WEP encrypted key (the most common situation), /etc/conf.d/net must contain these lines:
Code:
modules=( "iwconfig" )
key_your_network_name="[1] your_WEP_key key [1] enc restricted"
config_wlan0=( "dhcp" )        # or your config parameters if you do not use dhcp

With wpa_supplicant in the same situation, /etc/conf.d/net must contain:
Code:
modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )

and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf must contain:
Code:
network={
        ssid="your_network_name"
        key_mgmt=NONE
        wep_key0=your_key
}

Then, make a soft link between /etc/init.d/net.lo and /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 and start your interface:
Code:
# ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.wlan0
# /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start

Good luck,

pit
mpiter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound card management was tricky too. The computer has an MCP67 High Definition Audio card. The kernel module Device Drivers -> Sound -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture -> PCI devices -> Intel HD Audio is supposed to work, but it does not. I you use it inside the kernel or as a module, the audio card will answer all configuration commands and will seem alive (/proc/asound/*, alsamixer, and all related software are perfect), but no sound comes out of the audio card. Emerging the stable alsa modules does exactly the same job (version 1.0.14), but emerging the testing branch solves the problem (version 1.0.15). So to manage the sound card, one must follow the gentoo alsa guide using media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.15 with all alsa packages version 1.0.15.

pit
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forum threads like this are exactly why I'm ditching Xubuntu Gutsy after only a couple weeks, and coming back into the light. I have this same laptop, basically, with all the same problems. Thanks for the tips; now I can actually install gentoo on it.

Any update on the madwifi driver?

Thanks,

EE
mpiter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as far as I know. Read that link: http://madwifi.org/wiki/About/ath5k. You can try a development version of the ath5k driver. Best regards,

pit
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip. Incidentally, the forcedeth module doesn't appear to work for me, even though it's working in Ubuntu. Can you give any tips for how to get it working off the Gentoo LiveCD?

Thanks again,

EE
josedb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have the same problem with an dv6736 hp notebook, and solved it installing everything like the handbook says, but when emerging the kernel, i copied the /usr/portage/distfiles from my desktop pc to my laptop pc with a pendrive, so i emerge the kernel, and grub. compile the kernel , install grub , and then boot with the ethernet card working
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: