Ultra 80 Fans
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabinka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Ultra 80 Fans Reply with quote

Okay, this is slightly OT... But the box runs Gentoo anyways :).

Anyways- I've got an Ultra 80 sitting here, fairly decked out. It's got 4 450mhz processors, 4GB RAM, an XVR-1000 and an Elite 3D M6 (though the XVR doesn't work under X, so I might sell it), and two 36GB drives.

Basically, there are two large 120MM fans installed in the case- both rated for 12VDC, and move about 108CFM of air at 40dbA. They are loud, esp with the box sitting beside my Mac Pro.

I would like to replace them with two Delta triple-blade fans, which are also 12VDC, and move 76CFM of air at 34dbA. I've used these units before and they are virtually silent.

So my question is- would this damage the Sparc, running with 24 less CFM? I'm pretty sure the fans aren't thermally controlled, but I could be wrong- hence the reason for me asking. Ideally, I'd love to keep the box and run it reasonably silent beside my Mac Pro without the sound of a 747 running inside the case.

Cheerio!
-DB
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, so far as I know, the fans are not thermally controlled. As to your real question about the fans, I don't know the answer, but someone might. I can say from experience, however, that if a fan goes out completely on a U60 (2x450) (and a U80 is essentially a U60 with two more CPUs), you can kill a CPU completely. So I suggest you go slow and get several opinions. You might try asking on the #gentoo-sparc freenode IRC channel if you have access. Someone there might have an immediate answer for you.

Regards,
leaknoil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were pretty old posts but, I'm curious how it worked out. I have a 420R that is just way too loud. It has 3 large fans running. One on the cpu, one on the ram, and one on the empty pci slots. Pretty sure the pci one can go but, I'd like to put quiter ones on the others too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: