Good gamepad for emulators on Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCMCornell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Good gamepad for emulators on Gentoo? Reply with quote

I'd like to get a gamepad that will do well with most or all console emulators. Does anyone have any suggestions? Might I be better off with a combination of controllers instead given the varied layouts of all the consoles' original gamepads?
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to Radio Shack and got a Logitech Dual Action for $20. 4 shoulder buttons, 4 standard buttons, two buttons that are the equivalent of "start" and "select" though they're not so labeled, D-pad, and two analog sticks which also act as buttons when pressed. Oh, and the analog/digital mode switch. Basically, it's the equivalent of a PS1 controller with different button labels, coloring and a USB connector. I've been using it with Mednafen quite happily.
CCMCornell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've seen the PS type controllers and considered them. The only thing I wonder about is how they well they would feel with N64 games. I'm kinda itchin to play Ocarina of Time again :)
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCMCornell wrote:
Thanks. I've seen the PS type controllers and considered them. The only thing I wonder about is how they well they would feel with N64 games. I'm kinda itchin to play Ocarina of Time again :)

Well, the Wii classic controller is essentially the same layout, minus two shoulder buttons, and OoT was fine on that. A little strange at first, even though I hadn't played it since it first came out, but it wasn't hard to adjust. Z is the left shoulder when you play N64 games on the Wii. I haven't used any N64 emulators, or even looked into them much, so I don't know if they emulate the Rumble Pak code and iif you're looking for a controller to use with that (the Wii N64 emu doesn't. The bastards).
yogipsu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can still find it somewhere, and I'd check eBay, the Sega Saturn USB controller -- pretty much the finest non-analog control pad ever -- works wonders for all consoles that predate the N64.

You also might like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-usb-adapter-for-playstation-2-controller--pi-2348187.html

Other adapters should be available elsewhere. I've always found that "real" console controllers felt better than their counterparts.
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently bought a Logitech Precision Gamepad, and it's perfect if you want to emulate games that don't need an analog stick. It did only cost €10.
Cereza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Xbox (not 360) pads adapted to the computer and run perfect on Linux, I have the instructions to adapt it only spanish but I am sure they are easy to find googling, the pads still working on Xbox and this is not necessary to buy any pieces to the adaption (USB wires is the only thing needed, you can use the ones of some broken things). Well, I supose it's easier to buy a computer gamepad but this can be useful tho this ones who have Xbox pads at home.

Buttons:

Cross arrows
2 joysticks
4 sensible buttons which can sense difference between strong puss or soft puss
2 Left/Right analogic buttons (they can be very useful to accelerate/brake in car games)
2 extra buttons
and 2 extra buttons more pussing joysticks (like Playstation's R3 & L3)
start button
select button

I also recomend games-util/qjoypad (I love that program), whit qjoypad, you can assing keyboard frets to gamepad buttons, so you will able to play games which doesn't support gamepad using your gampad and manage different button configurations.

(Sorry my english by the way :P)

Linux Kernel have Xbox pad support since a long time ago:

Code:
Device Drivers -> Input device support -> Joystick interface
Device Drivers -> USB support -> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
Device Drivers -> USB support -> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support -> HID input layer support
Device Drivers -> USB support -> X-Box gamepad support
diddly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a PS2 to USB adapter at Radio Shack (in Canada, now The Source). It worked out of the box (well, had to compile the joystick kernel module). Suits my needs and was only about $15. I was looking at some PC control pads, but most of them felt cheezy, one was even broken. I already know the PS2 controller can take some abuse. HTH
monkey89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddly wrote:
I found a PS2 to USB adapter at Radio Shack (in Canada, now The Source). It worked out of the box (well, had to compile the joystick kernel module). Suits my needs and was only about $15. I was looking at some PC control pads, but most of them felt cheezy, one was even broken. I already know the PS2 controller can take some abuse. HTH

Yeah, this was what I used (PS controller instead of PS2, but you get the idea). I also played Ocarina of Time using it, so it's definitely playable, for the person who asked, and 100x better than using a keyboard.

(Sorry for the formatting, using Links while Firefox compiles)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: