emerge - continue after failure/segfault
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsamort
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: emerge - continue after failure/segfault Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a bit of a finicky amd64 setup, running with some ~amd64 packages. I think there is likely a problem with my memory, but I can't seem to track it down. I've run memtest86 for hours and hours, with no problems, but when I am emerging large packages like glibc, firefox, etc., I get the occasional segfault during compilation and sometimes the thread just hangs. This behaviour is usually not reproducible, and the message says the error is likely an OS or hardware problem. Resuming the emerge will generally result in a complete build (although some packages can take several tries, and it seems to depend on how the system is feeling that day). More or less, I've learned to live with it--one day I'll upgrade the processor/memory, etc.--it doesn't really get in the way of my day-to-day usage. However, it can really be annoying when I've been compiling glibc for 2 hours and it dies and I have to start over. Is there any way to tell emerge to resume *without* deleting the build directory and starting over (i.e. just reissuing the make command)?

Thanks for any help,
Scott
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no official way to do so. There are some hackish "solutions", but I wouldn't use any of them. It may result in even more broken builds.
Telexen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you overclocked then? If you're getting errors like that, you really are likely unstable. Memtest86 alone isn't the final word in stability.
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and for some "big" (long-compiling) packages you can consider downloading them from binary repositories, instead of compiling them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: