Ripping a stream asynchronously
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamlet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Ripping a stream asynchronously Reply with quote

I'm trying to download a long record (audio+video) from a network streaming WMV (sic!) source.
I am using
Code:

mplayer -cache 262144 mms://URLofStream.wmv -dumpstream -dumpfile /tmp/Stream.wmv

I used that abnormal cache size hoping that it would be filled at high speed, which proved wrong.
The point is that I spend one hour to download a one-hour record, while my network connection could do much faster.
I couldn't make it work with mencoder (the resulting stream, encoded to xvid, was skipping most of the frames, maybe because my processor wasn't able to encode the stream in real time).

Is there a way to instruct mplayer to speed up the thing?

A side-question: is there a reasonable standard format for audio+video which is open-source and patent-free? I would have pointed to an ogg with vorbis+theora inside, but it seems my mencoder doesn't support neither, and the latter is not even final.
mattsteven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that the streaming server is capping the outgoing stream's rate, so in that case there is nothing you can do to speed it up.

I would suggest using Xvid, it is free of encumbrances for private use, and the quality is very good.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: