Can't emerge system - loops while emerge wget
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahlerrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Can't emerge system - loops while emerge wget Reply with quote

Note: I'm not on that system now, so I'm going from memory (though I was careful to note everything as best I could).

I tried my first Gentoo install last night using a stage 1 tarball. I followed the instructions carefully making sure each step worked OK. Apart from the mentioned 'cosmetic' errors for dhcpcd, everything went fine.

Until I got to 'emerge system'. I ran that and it seemed to be working fine (emerging different things, subtly different compiles and files, that kind of stuff, just like when I'm compiling a FreeBSD port). I wandered off. I came back an hour later and watched it compiling for a while. I noticed it seemed to repeat the exact same pattern over and over again. The exact same pattern. It was still doing so 30 minutes later.

I interrupted the process and scrolled back. After trying a few more things I figured out that it seemed to be emerging wget 1.8.2 repeatedly. I tried emerging just misc-net/wget (? right path? It worked, anyway) and it did that for another hour. Exact same steps, exact same process, not seeming to move on to another package. Broke into it, and yes, it was still emerging wget.

I deleted that directory, then did another emerge rsync, then another emerge system (I didn't think it necessary to do the inbetween bootstrap.sh).

It did exactly the same thing.

So, did I just not let it run long enough? (This was on a Athlon 1800+ w/ 256 cas2 memory and a cable modem) Or is there something wrong with that package? I noted an option in emerge that would allow me to just pretend that I've already installed it, but it seemed that wasn't the proper solution because it should be using wget to retrieve packages, shouldn't it? There's no errors in any of the scroll back messages, and it was getting late so I didn't make a signficant effort to find any log files. I can this weekend if someone needs me to.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... when something gives Portage a failure code, it stops. When something gives Portage a success code, it moves on. AFAIK there's nothing that would make Portage rebuild the same package over and over again.

Run an emerge rsync --clean and please post the output of emerge -p system.
Narses
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
Run an emerge rsync --clean and please post the output of emerge -p system.

I did so. I cleaned up the color codes in the output.

Calculating system dependencies ...done!
[ebuild N ] net-misc/wget-1.8.2 to /
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/bash-2.05a-r2 to /
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/bzip2-1.0.2-r1 to /
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/kbd-1.06-r1 to /
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/cpio-2.4.2-r4 to /
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/debianutils-1.16 to /
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/diffutils-2.7.7 to /

[output trimmed by me - I don't think anything beyond here is necessary as it's just a continuation of the apps, system, devel, etc... listing, but if you think it will help, I'll repost.]

Something I noticed. I did a 'emerge net-misc/wget >& output.txt' and used nano to take a look at it. The answer is there, I'm sure.

>>> Unpacking wget-1.8.2.tar.gz
tar: wget-1.8.2/doc/ChangeLog-branches: time stamp 2002-05-28 20:03:23 is 355938 s in the future
tar: wget-1.8.2/doc/sample.wgetrc.munged_for_texi_inclusion: time stamp 2002-05-28 20:03:22 is 355937 s in the future
tar: wget-1.8.2/doc/wget.info: time stamp 2002-05-28 20:03:22 is 355937 s in the future
tar: wget-1.8.2/doc/wget.info-1: time stamp 2002-05-28 20:03:22 is 355937 s in the future
tar: wget-1.8.2/doc/wget.info-2: time stamp 2002-05-28 20:03:22 is 355937 s in the future

[A MULTITUDE OF SIMILAR ERRORS HERE SNIPPED]

tar: wget-1.8.2/.libs: time stamp 2002-05-28 20:03:23 is 355938 s in the future
tar: wget-1.8.2/README: time stamp 2002-05-27 10:14:30 is 234205 s in the future
tar: wget-1.8.2/configure: time stamp 2002-05-28 20:03:15 is 355930 s in the future
tar: wget-1.8.2/libtool: time stamp 2002-05-28 20:03:16 is 355931 s in the future
tar: wget-1.8.2: time stamp 2002-05-28 20:03:23 is 355938 s in the future
>>> Unpacking wget-new-percentage-cvs-20011209.tar.gz
patching file progress.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 253 (offset 10 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 366 (offset 10 lines).
>>> Source unpacked.
nls
ssl
ssl
ssl
creating cache ./config.cache
configuring for GNU Wget 1.8.2
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for gcc... gcc

[MORE OUTPUT SNIPPED]

creating src/config.h
generating po/POTFILES from ./po/POTFILES.in
creating po/Makefile
make: *** Warning: File `configure' has modification time in the future (2002-05-28 20:03:15 > 2002-05-24 17:11:12)
./config.status --recheck
running /bin/sh ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/wget --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=usr/share/man --with-ssl --disable-debug --no-create --no-recursion
loading cache ./config.cache
configuring for GNU Wget 1.8.2
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

[MORE OUTPUT SNIPPED, BUT IT'S JUST REPEATED FROM ABOVE ANYWAY]

I think when I get the time I need to fix up the time on things, I think. I'm not sure how to do that, though.

Once again, I appreciate any info you can give and the time you spend on it. If you need me to supply any more info (or include the rest of either output, let me know.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off, the future timestamp thing is a result of your system clock. While I doubt it's causing your grief, set your system clock properly.

The wget thing could be just an issue with your wget ebuild. You could mask it so Portage would try to use an earlier version. Try this:

Code:
# echo =net-misc/wget-1.8.2 >> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask

(Note that your package.mask gets overwritten with each emerge rsync --clean, so run that when you're done.)
Narses
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Excellent Reply with quote

Thanks for you help! It seems now to be working properly with wget-1.8.1-r1 or something.

Now I know a lot more about emerge, masking, and all that stuff. Portage seems to have the feel of the FreeBSD ports only with version control, which has occasionally created problems for me. I think like portage. I decided to switch from FreeBSD on my desktop system because it's occasionally behind on the hardware front for video cards and other 'cutting edge' stuff (which I update way more often than my wife would like...).

Depending on the outcome of gentoo I may switch on my servers, too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: