iPhone's "ipod" not recognized by Amarok
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jkay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: iPhone's "ipod" not recognized by Amarok Reply with quote

Heyas ~

Could someone walk me through the setup needed to get an "ipod" mounted and recognized please .. I did this a couple of years ago with a Treo 650, which syncs with Kpilot and Korg but I know things have changed since then and frankly, I don't remember how I did it.

I remember something about setting up udev rules .. etc ... I'm not asking how to set up Amarok to detect an iPod. I've done that, and it can't see a mounted iPod.

TIA
Jkay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK .. I noticed Apple partition schemes were not in the kernel, and am correcting that ...
Jkay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope .. the device shows up in "dmesg" but it's not recognized by any drivers. It comes up as a high speed USB device, with no other actions recorded in the dmesg log.
Jkay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well .. with the udev rule created, and the fstab line for it in place, it's still not recognized as a block device, altho the "ipod" icon appears on the desktop it's not accessible .. I assume the drivers for this device are not existing yet.
Jkay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, an Apple iPod Shuffle is instantly recognized and mounted by the system and accessed properly by Amarok .. Sooooo ... I am going to assume I need to wait for a proper device driver for the iPhone to surface.
Benny007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: ipod library Reply with quote

The real problem is that Apple started to encrypt itunes library in the iPhone and iPod Touch. There has been already found way to solve that so we just have to wait till someone implements it to the ipod libraries. Those are used to manage ipods in amarok and other sw...

Because of the encryption I am worry even when someone updates ipod libraries, we will be stacked with odl version of the iPod Touch/iPhone firmware, because we know how apple is trying to do it as difficult as possible to non iTunes users :( Apple is arrogant to it's own products users! (It was the most important reason why I did not buy macbook pro and went for dell )

Because iPod Touch and iPhone use very similar OS, you can substitute them in most cases.
iPod Touch is beautiful piece of hardware, unfortunately there is lack of software. After hack ( another example of Apple arrogance ) you can install third party apps on it and I just love them. There is not huge library of them, but the few are usable and make you upgrade the device to near PDA level.

I am looking forward to ipod libs update, because I really hate iTunes. Firstly it's only reason I have to waste hdd space for windows and secondly the Amarok is much easier to use even Apple would not agree with me. They just want to force anyone to use "the only right software" and access their e-shop. Apple behave worst then Microsoft in this case :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: