73%  [ 54 ]
XBox
26%
 26%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 73

elzbal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: XBox vs Playstation 2 Reply with quote

This year for Christmas, my wife and I were going to buy each other a game console. We have settled on one of the XBox or the PS2. The question is... which should I buy?

Both have their advantages...

XBox:
- Better graphics (is this true?)
- Internal hard drive means no spending extra $$$ on memory cards
- Halo :)
- More easily runs Linux (including Gentoo) - Maybe I can play some of the music from my Unix-based fileserver over the stereo in my living room...

Playstation 2:
- More games (more games released for PS2, plus get access to PS1 games)
- More kids games (important since we have a young'un in the house that may be playing games in a few years... on the other hand we may have upgraded by then too...)
- DVD Player included (although we already have a DVD player, so this isn't as important)

Why did you buy the Xbox or PS2 sitting in your living room? For those who have both - Which do you prefer/which do you find playing more often, and why?

I don't mean for this to be a one-party post... If any others have questions about these consoles, feel free to ask here.

BTW, rants regarding the Xbox affiliation to Microsoft should be sent to '/dev/null' rather being posted here - I'll buy quality regardless of the company it comes from (unless it involves 3rd world child labor or something). And no, I've never purchased Microsoft products before, but I will if I think it's worth it.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note of caution about the XBox and Linux.

I remember reading that if your Xbox was connected to the net, it would automatically download an update that would fix the holes people had been using to use Linux on there. If your Xbox is new enough, then it may already have the update.

Please research this.
Draco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xbox all the way for me. I like it way better. The one thing i really like is the controler for it and it has good games too. True that PS2 has more but it does not have Halo, Halo2 and Brute Force in my opinion are very good games ;).

It all depends on the person, mabey you can ask friends who have a Xbox or PS2 and ask them if you could play on them for a while ;).

EDIT: Reason i got the Xbox is becuase of christmas. I never really played on a PS2 so i dont really know that is....
Kyouryuu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I chose to go with a PlayStation 2. Although what you say about the Xbox having prettier graphics is indeed correct, the PS2 makes up for its shortcomings with a vast and growing libraries of titles that appeal to everyone. RPG fans would find a lot to like about Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts. Action and platform fans have the exceptional Ratchet & Clank along with Jax & Daxter. As an added bonus, offsetting the fact that the PS2 is the most expensive of the three systems, all of these games are very inexpensive. Sony has a big library of games for merely $14.99-$19.99. This was a deciding factor for me. As a PS2 owner of only a handful of months, I already have more games than I know what to do with.

Grand Theft Auto, which used to be nearly exclusive to the PS2, has found its way onto the Xbox, along with Metal Gear Solid 2. Xbox also has Halo, of course, and the critically acclaimed Crimson Skies. The PS2 really doesn't have an answer for either of these games (just as the Xbox has no answer to Ratchet or SquareEnix's RPGs), so if frantic FPS action or high-flying pirate adventures are up your alley, these might make the Xbox a convincing purchase. Don't forget - Doom 3 is also coming. The XBox also has a maturing multiplayer component - beyond all of the others. Microsoft has actually done an admirable job here with the Xbox, and it shouldn't be ignored. It is a worthy system.

Bottom line: If you enjoy platforming games and especially RPGs and want a wide selection of games to choose from at relatively inexpensive prices, go with the PS2. If you like FPS games and would like the ports of games from other systems to be played with nicer graphics, go with the XBox.

At this point, and as a GameCube owner, I would really count out the GameCube. I regret the purchase. Nintendo just hasn't advanced much effort here at all to make it a system worthy of purchase (It's just another Nintendo 64 disaster). Even the Cube renditions of once-dependable classic titles, like Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda are sorely lacking creative new ideas. Metroid Prime is a bright spot on the map, though I believe it's highly overrated. Nintendo also insists on charging a full $49.99 for all new titles, and has a very meager "bargain" lineup, which is just going to kill them in the end. It doesn't even play DVDs or music. Also has the stupidest controller design in the history of modern man - works for first-party games nicely, but has zero versatility when it comes to all other titles - especially ports.
Nicom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only get an xbox if you plan on modding it and installing cool stuff like using xbox media player or linux on it, or backing up games etc. That is it's main advantage IMHO, and if you don't plan on modding it, then a PS2 is the better way to go.
CheshireCat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I don't love Windows, but I love my Xbox. I agree with those above who like the controller - if somebody in the family has small hands, get an S controller also, but the "too big" standard controller fits my hands nicely. It also has some of the best exclusive titles. I'm probably looking at a GameCube next, simply because they're at a fantastic price now, and Sega seems to have mostly been doing GameCube stuff since they killed Dreamcast.
elzbal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great input, guys. I knew I could count on this forum. :)

I might be leaning towards the PlayStation (my wife certainly is), if only because of the wide variety of games. The main thing I guess I'll miss is Halo. :( But most of the 'big' games seem to come out for both systems anyway.

I'm still interested in what everyone has to say, and I'm sure I'm not the only Gentoo'er who's looking at a new game console this Christmas. Keep the recommendations pouring in...
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

being the guy who owns all three main consoles (and then some), i can give you the scoop for all three.

the xbox is a great system as far as pretty pictures go, but i tend to find their game library lacking. some people will tell you to stay away from the xbox because their recent patch makes it so you can't install linux (boo-freaking-hoo) but as far as im concerned, that's what pc's are for, not game consoles ;)

the xbox does have a few gems, but you'll tend to find that the majority of people out there don't like them (e.g. halo, gotham racing, gun valkyrie, etc.) and honestly, there's only one good game per six months, if we're lucky.

the ps2 hardware isn't as beefy as the xbox, but there's a much larger library and the games tend to be (ever so) slightly less expensive. if you're an rpg fan, i'd recommend going with this system solely because square enix contributes greatly to the cause ;) because of sony's good reputation and familiar name, they seem to have more developers developing a larger number of games at a much faster rate than found on most other consoles.

the gamecube is a pretty good contender, but you'll find that most of the GOOD games here are nintendo-centric (mario party, zelda, mario kart, mario sunshine, etc.) granted, there are other good games, but i tend to ignore those. nintendo is seriously lacking in the rpg and fps department. the only viable fps on the gamecube is metroid prime (quite possibly my favourite).

then you have your big-name mainstream games which appear on each console (e.g. soul calibur), each with their own strengths and weaknesses. you'll find that games for xbox have a higher quality image, and better sound. most xbox games come with dolby digital compliance whereas ps2 and gamecube lack those options (the gamecube is capable, but few developers take advantage).

when a cross-platform game comes out, i usually get the gamecube version because i find the gamecube controller more comfortable than the xbox's. i find the gamecube to have decent graphics when compared to the ps2 as well.

although, i recently got the revised controller for the xbox, and i must say... it's a definite improvement.

in any case, there're so many factors involved and if you have ANY questions, let me know. i'll do what i can to answer them ;)

ryan
CheshireCat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus, have you played any of the Sega titles on the GameCube? I'm sort of leaning toward a GameCube because of the Sonic Team titles for it, but I'm not really sure. Ideally, I'd just get both platforms, but the world doesn't always meet our ideals ;-)
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheshireCat wrote:
kraylus, have you played any of the Sega titles on the GameCube? I'm sort of leaning toward a GameCube because of the Sonic Team titles for it, but I'm not really sure. Ideally, I'd just get both platforms, but the world doesn't always meet our ideals ;-)

i played sonic DX and wasn't overly fond of it. then again, it was an older game rehashed, so that could be why. had a "rushed" feeling to it.

my wife absolutely loves the newest sonic game though (where you get to switch between characters in real time, i think). i havent played it yet, but i will. i'm a huge sonic fan (sonic 2 being my fav) and i wish they'd bring back the old 2D side-scrolling action ;) at the very least bundle it with a newer game!

otherwise, can't tell you much about it other than all my friends like it.

edit: would you count skies of arcadia as a sega title? that game kicks ass! i wish they would port grandia 2 to gcn as well as albert odysee. *drool*

ryan
CheshireCat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh, I almost forgot about the SoA remake. I have the DC version, from what I've heard the GC version doesn't add a whole lot. I'm a big sonic fan as well, and I enjoyed the original Sonic Adventure on DC, although I felt that SA2 was a little weak. I believe Penny Arcade awarded it "Best Sonic Game Where You Don't Play As Sonic, Ever". FYI, just googling around (I was looking for that game you mentioned your wife liking), I found "Sonic Mega Collection", which appears to be an anthology of classic Sonic games on one GC disc.

I'm kind of curious about the new non-Sonic title from Sonic Team, "Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg", as well. Looks like it could maybe be good. :-)

Hrm, looks like the next Sonic title is going to be simultaneous on all 3 platforms...

Last edited by CheshireCat on Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
gentooJunkie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the PS2, I got one and have no regrets. Its got a great library of games. Xbox has only a small handful.

Gen-toooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
joetech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both...plus soul caliber, mario kart, and monkey ball for gamecube...

joe
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheshireCat wrote:
Ohhhh, I almost forgot about the SoA remake. I have the DC version, from what I've heard the GC version doesn't add a whole lot. I'm a big sonic fan as well, and I enjoyed the original Sonic Adventure on DC, although I felt that SA2 was a little weak. I believe Penny Arcade awarded it "Best Sonic Game Where You Don't Play As Sonic, Ever". FYI, just googling around (I was looking for that game you mentioned your wife liking), I found "Sonic Mega Collection", which appears to be an anthology of classic Sonic games on one GC disc.

I'm kind of curious about the new non-Sonic title from Sonic Team, "Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg", as well. Looks like it could maybe be good. :-)

Hrm, looks like the next Sonic title is going to be simultaneous on all 3 platforms...

billy hatcher does actually look really good.

i too have the DC version of SoA and being one that has beaten both, i can say that the gcn version doesn't add THAT much, but it's enough to play the game over again. there's much more back story included, plus a few new gameplay elements. downside is that the graphics are actually NOT as good and the sound quality is poor (neither are noticable to normal people).

im not sure if the mega collection is the one my wife played or not, i'll check it when i get home ;) and yes! the original sonic adventure was really fun. the one i played on gamecube kind of sucked.
CheshireCat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mega Collection appears to be just a bunch of classic Sonic games (1-3, S&K, 3D Blast, Spinball, and Mean Bean Machine, I think it was). Not that having them all on a disk for a new machine isn't nice, old machines do die eventually, although my Genesis still seems to work fine, last time I checked. Heroes looks interesting though, and I'll probably have to get it when it comes out in January, and seems to be the first really original Sonic game since SA/SA2 on DC.
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Xbox is not a console, it's a PC in a box with a modded motherboard.
Microsoft have not done any special CPU changes to allow for enhanced gameplay like the Playstation 2's special MIPS Chip with there gaming enhancement technology codenamed "The Emotion Engine" which is why the PS2 can be something like 266MHz and still pull of such amazing graphics.

and the games are just my type on the PS2 :-)
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameCube...

The XboX is made by an evil company... And I hear it crashes and stuff... I've only used it for a total of 3 hours playing halo once...

Get a PS2 if you don't wanta GameCube... If you're interested, you can get Linux for PS2, but not GameCube (Disc spins 'backwards' and the copy protection hasn't been broken yet, since our drives spin 'forward', or so I think...)

Forward is clockwise? Or do they usually spin counterclockwise?
CheshireCat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are politics and the ability to run linux really that important in a gaming platform? Perhaps wandering a bit OT here, but I would say that the "best" game system is always the one that runs the games that you want to play. Besides, if we're going to talk politics, it's not as if Sony and Nintendo are clean - they both have a good number of skeletons in their closets as well.

Btw, games can crash on any console. I've yet to have it happen in hundreds of hours of play on my Xbox, but I've seen PSX demo systems at stores that were crashed. Games are software, sometimes software has bugs, sometimes the bugs make the software crash.
Kyouryuu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story is that the first Playstation 2 I used crashed fatally in the first two days of use. Granted, I think it was probably a fluke, but whenever people bring up the crash-prone nature of the Xbox, that's my story. I honestly don't think the Xbox is any more or less crash prone than the others. I would be suspicious of the PS2's quality, however. Although it plays the games, there's no getting around the fact that it feels very "cheap." Maybe it's the sheer weight, but I couldn't help but feel the Xbox was firmly constructed and of sound design.

Linux really should be a minimal factor here. You want the system that plays the best games according to your taste, not the one that best supports the "gee-whiz" factor of Linux.

Trying to attest to Sonic Adventure 2 on the GameCube, I haven't played the original Dreamcast version, but fundamentally I found the game to be quite rushed (in a bad way ;)). Maybe it's just me, but after the exciting Sonic/Shadow levels, the Knuckles/Rouge puzzle solving levels hit me like a wall of bricks. The pacing is just deplorable! It also seems like it lacks polish and refinement, right down to the shifty cinematics. Again, maybe I would lodge the same criticisms against the Dreamcast incarnation. :)

Anyhow, I wouldn't obsess too much about it. It took me several months to decide, after my GameCube was taken away, how to replace it. You just need to get out there and choose a system and enjoy it. The doing is the most difficult part. ;)
elzbal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have responded. My wife and I have indeed settled on the PlayStation 2. We'll probably pick one up in the next couple of days.

Now if I can only convince her to let me open it before Christmas...
:twisted:
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elzbal wrote:
Thanks to all who have responded. My wife and I have indeed settled on the PlayStation 2. We'll probably pick one up in the next couple of days.

Now if I can only convince her to let me open it before Christmas...
:twisted:

you think thats bad? my parents got me a 21" flatscreen CRT Television NICAM stero, etc etc. i had to help carry it in from the car to the front room, and now i see it every morning and still can't use it :-\, stuck with my giant curved 20" "Osaki" mono tv that i got from a tip, some guy was gonna chuck it.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2 has more and better games. End of story.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went for a ps2, didnt fancy an xbox. But ive never regrated it there so many games for it, good games :)

ive no opinion about the xbox thou
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: