Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Vserver will not start: vc_set_namespace(): (SOLVED)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Vserver will not start: vc_set_namespace(): (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Hello all. I have a vserver that has been running for about a year and a half updating weekly. This one has been online for about 4 months without being restarted. This morning I had some erratic mail server behavior and I figured I would restart it and clear things out. I stopped the vserver and went to start it back but it would not. It complained about missing /bin/nice. I looked and yes it was now missing, I guess some how it moved or the link did through the updates. I found nice in /usr/bin/nice and made a symlink to it. The vserver then restarted.

At this point I thought it might be a good idea to see if there was an update to util-vserver thinking I had missed some update. I checked and there was so I emerge -uav util-vserver and let it update. Afterwards I checked and the vservers will not start again... This time I am getting this:

Code:

s1 / # vserver hermes start
vnamespace: vc_set_namespace(): Operation not permitted

An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
(/sbin/init) failed.

Common causes are:
* /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
  method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
  appending 'true' to this file will help.

Failed to start vserver 'hermes'
s1 / #

SO now I have something out of wack and I cannot start the vservers. Talk about a time bomb ;-)

Code:

s1 / # emerge -pv baselayout

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.9-r2  USE="-bootstrap -build -static -unicode" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
s1 / # emerge -pv util-vserver

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-cluster/util-vserver-0.30.212-r2  USE="-bash-completion" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
s1 / #

Any help with this mess would be greatly appreciated. Reading the vserver howto I see things have changed a good bit over the last year but it talks about packages that are masked. At this point I need some help migrating to the new init system maybe?

I can never decide it It is better to let a server run as is until it explodes. Or do weekly updates which are like tiny needle pricks under the fingernails...

Last edited by docster on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
docster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the vservers in rc-status is now broken. This was from updating...

I have updated util-vserver:
util-vserver-0.30.210-r13
TO:
util-vserver-0.30.212-r2

Now the vservers will no longer start up... Can anyone explain in simple terms how to start them now ;-) It will not seem to let me unmerge the new and emerge the original. If I could uninstall the updates I would...

Code:

syslog-ng                                                                                                       [ started  ]
 vixie-cron                                                                                                      [ started  ]
 vservers                                                                                                        [ broken   ]
 * You have some broken symbolic links as reported by the broken
 * status above. This can be fixed by removing the broken service
 * from its runlevel and re-adding it back using rc-update.
docster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone else has this problem upgrade your kernel to at least 2.6.20. This solved it for me. Evidently the setnamespace is something added to the kernel but the system will allow you to update your util-vserver and break your system silently ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: