Gentoo / OpenEmbedded
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mindpatching
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Gentoo / OpenEmbedded Reply with quote

Gentoo has support for cross compiling and rootfs creation integrated in the portage.
Offical and unoffical documentation confirms that with a cross toolchain (crossdev) and some command line arch/use/flags override we can build stages/rootfs for every platform supported by gentoo.
I'm trying to obtain an updated stage3 for ARMv5 using a toolchain arm-unknown-linux-gnu and with a crossemerge batch like:
Code:

ROOT=/images/arm ARCH=arm CHOST=arm-unknown-linux-gnu CBUILD=i686-pc-linux gnu emerge system.

I was impressed for the emerge capacity to cross compile on a different root path, and a lot of software compiled without problems. So it seems in the old plans emerge and the portage was designed to achieve these thinghs. Howewer the entire system does not emerge, and i reached an intermediate rootfs just able with help of busybox to start on qemu-system-arm. From there i'm now quite able to emerge packages on the target with native tools. This fix a lot of problems with cross compilation, but is extremely slow!
I recently used openembedded too, this has full support for every cross compile task, i noted it's very very similiar to gentoo but different in some core features.
OE is designed to cross-compile all the software, so for every new package a lot of work has to be done to create a .bb, patches, and so one. It seems it laks some features and often the oe developer has to clean all and recompile the entire rootfs (a lot of day-cpu). Emerge and portage, instead, when used natively seems to compile every kind of software with minimal or no patchs. So the best could be in fixing the initial cross-compilation to obtain a running stage and proceed natively to gain the entire portage tree for the embedded platform. But for some reason it seems this project was stopped. It's due to the presence of openembedded? I noted gpe ebuilds on bugs.gentoo.org, they are remaked from the relative .bb files from openembedded (yes it's very natural!).
A i'd like to spent some time over this world, now i do not know if it's better to follow the gentoo-way or use OE and angstrom.
May someone direct me? arm stages are old, but arm is a supported platform and profile.
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two main problems:
* Some packages just can't be crosscompiled
* Some packages don't work if they are crosscompiled (bash for example).

As I understand, this packages need special patches, which OE uses. So, for now, OE has more workarounds, if we take them from OE to portage, or better to original packages, then gentoo would be much better for such things. Today I compile packages on PDA, because I can't rely on ones made by crosscompiler. I can't say that this field if freezed, I think it just evolutes not as fast, as OE.
soth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am using a crosscompiled bash on arm9 right now so they do work.
Will check out OE though.

Join the adopt an unanswered post initiative today
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: