Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Breakmygentoo.net (Now With New Barry Award)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Breakmygentoo.net (Now With New Barry Award) Reply with quote

I don't quite know if this qualifies as the official release of the site, but we (lin_matt and I) have definitely done some cleaning up and now have a front page. I would like to thank everyone who has helped give us more than 15,000 hits this month with 5 days left to go. We have also added public access to our bugzilla, and in doing so, you may get an account and submit ebuilds.

For those of you who don't know, breakmygentoo.net is a holding place for ebuilds for development/cvs software. It has also been the birthplace of the noia icon port to gnome, a few patches that made the official gnome tree, and here lately, portagesql. So browse on over and see what it's all about:

http://www.breakmygentoo.net/

We did not start this site to compete with the portage tree or cause a fork. We are not competing. All we are doing is trying to move the development ebuilds from the forums to a central location. It helps resolve the question, where is xyz ebuild?

Any comments, suggestions, or feedback are welcome in this very thread.

Thanks,
Karl

Last edited by karl11 on Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site seems nice and I like the name! :D
This one's going into my bookmarks... :wink:
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when are you going to set up an rsync server to put all these in /usr/local/breakmygentoo/? :wink:
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duff wrote:
So when are you going to set up an rsync server to put all these in /usr/local/breakmygentoo/? :wink:

Karl and I have been kicking around that idea for quite a while actually, but the problem is bandwidth. The server space we are using now has been donated by a client of mine, and I don't want to add any more of a load to the machine. Now I'm always open to mirrors... :idea:
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakmygentoo.net Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
We did not start this site to compete with the portage tree or cause a fork. We are not competing. All we are doing is trying to move the development ebuilds from the forums to a central location. It helps resolve the question, where is xyz ebuild?

Is there any formal or informal connection of your site with the ofiicial Gentoo site? More specifically, what is the mechanism for ebuilds to move from your site back to the official tree?
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no formal connection with the official Gentoo site. Whether there are informal connections would depend too heavily on semantics to debate. I'm sure there are Gentoo devs that check the site out from time to time... ;)

We don't have any kind of mechanism for ebuild movement ATM. Of course pretty much all of the ebuilds on the site are either live cvs or alpha/beta versions of software. All of which would be considered far too unstable (and rightly so in most cases) by the Gentoo team to ever be in the official tree. If the devs want a package from our site in the tree they are welcome to it, but that's about as close of a tie as there is.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on! Nice site. Putting in my bookmarks right now.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin_Matt wrote:
There's no formal connection with the official Gentoo site. Whether there are informal connections would depend too heavily on semantics to debate. I'm sure there are Gentoo devs that check the site out from time to time... ;)

We don't have any kind of mechanism for ebuild movement ATM. Of course pretty much all of the ebuilds on the site are either live cvs or alpha/beta versions of software. All of which would be considered far too unstable (and rightly so in most cases) by the Gentoo team to ever be in the official tree. If the devs want a package from our site in the tree they are welcome to it, but that's about as close of a tie as there is.

umm you just made it into the gwn. Sounds like an official endorsment to me. :D
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still not an official part of Gentoo Technologies, but I would like to thank everybody who has used the site, or contributed to its success in any way. We sincerely appreciate the Gentoo community and all it has given us :)

Karl
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice site! I am now hungry for untested ebuilds :twisted:.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so are we! We love it when people send us new ebuilds or bug fixes ;) It makes Barry the cow much happier.....maybe one of these days he will return from his crusade for lost ebuilds 8)

Karl
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to show my appreciation of breakmygentoo.net... My stickman friend Starvin' Marvin is going to perform a dance for you.

:D-><
:(-<<
:P-><
:|-<<
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
I'd just like to show my appreciation of breakmygentoo.net... My stickman friend Starvin' Marvin is going to perform a dance for you.

hehehehe, well said...

I have never seen such an incredible dancer before!

Great job on breakmygentoo.net!

Erik
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:

ROTFLMAO

Thanks All!
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The community support at Gentoo has been awesome! We now have BreakMyHOWTO courtesy of kRock. There is a thread linked off of the main breakmygentoo page that is discussing the HOWTO. It was also linked in the GWN. At the bottom of the HOWTO is kRock's emails. Any suggestions you should send to him, and then when he gets a new version he goes ahead and tells us :)

Once again, we love this community and offer it our greatest thanks and support :)

Karl
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin_Matt wrote:
duff wrote:

Karl and I have been kicking around that idea for quite a while actually, but the problem is bandwidth. The server space we are using now has been donated by a client of mine, and I don't want to add any more of a load to the machine. Now I'm always open to mirrors... :idea:

Ever tought about distributing the load with http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/ ? Even Gentoo should take advantage of this.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... torrents would be neat, but atm, we're looking into sourceforge, and if that works out, we just might get something hooked up over there. It would probably be in the form of anonymous cvs with a module named portage.

This isn't official or anything though as we don't even know if we're going to get the sourceforge space.

Karl
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamlarryboy wrote:
umm you just made it into the gwn. Sounds like an official endorsment to me. :D

Just to be clear, breakmygentoo.net is not officially endorsed by Gentoo Linux. We do, however, encourage our users to extend and explore different ways of using and supporting Gentoo Linux.

--kurt
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Suggestion... Reply with quote

What about an RSS/RDF feed to inform users of your releases?
There are already such channels for the official tree (for instance here or here), but I think that would also be useful in your case. (That said, I'm not a web developper, and I I have no idea of the way to implement this :?)
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: New Site Design/New Features Reply with quote

At the risk of this being a dup, I'm just dumping it here....

We have recently redesigned breakmygentoo (yes, again) and this time there is a considerable amount to talk about. This is the Powered by Barry the Cow edition that uses the Barry the Cow logo designed by Crimson. We have all the Barry Artwork, a small bit about Barry the cow, and.........

THE BARRY AWARD!

We are introducing this award that will be giving to 1 or 2 individuals each month based on their contributions to breakmygentoo.net. You can find more out by going to the site and clicking on "The Barry Award".

This month's recipients of the Barry Award are lovechild and crimson. Please visit the site to see why they received the award. Congratulations guys!

And last on the list of new things added is BreakMyStore! BreakMyStore is a cafepress shop in which we have BreakMyGentoo merchandise. A portion of your purchases at BreakMyStore goes to help out BreakMyGentoo and the other portion goes as a donation to Gentoo.org. So if you want, go on out, show your love for Barry, and help out Gentoo and BreakMyGentoo.

Thanks to all who have made BreakMyGentoo great!

Karl
Isaiah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Karl,
Just so you know, that syntax listed in the "Hall of Shame" is not the same person who did the wallpapers that I posted here. I know he's not a member here - he's my son :wink:
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for catching that :oops:

It's fixed now :)
Isaiah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
Thanks for catching that :oops:

It's fixed now :)

Thanks Karl! 8)
vrih
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you've got barry the cow, why not make him a bookmark icon thingy?

Sorry I dunno the technical term for the thing but i'm sure you kno what I'm referring to.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vrih wrote:
now you've got barry the cow, why not make him a bookmark icon thingy?

Sorry I dunno the technical term for the thing but i'm sure you kno what I'm referring to.

favicon :)

That's the Correct Technical Term (Tm) :roll:

hehehe

Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: