View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: strange problem with accessing my server from windows! Reply with quote

I love this guide... but I have a strange problem...

I have three machines on my network... #1 is my email server, #2 is a gentoo linux client, and #3 is a WIndows XP client.

I can send email great from my linux client. But from the windows client I always receive the TLS error #454: "TLS not available due to temporary reason"

Why can I access it fine from my linux machine but not from windows? I have tried using telnet from both client hosts. I use 'ehlo foo' and then 'starttls'. this works from my linux client but not from my windows telnet client.

Any ideas????

Thanks...

Last edited by tjh on Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dillinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright well after chaning all the $myhostname $mydomain to just dillinger.homelinux.org and adding mydomain = dillinger.homelinux.org and my hostname = dillinger.homelinux.org I'm able to send at recieve email on the server. Also had to change the net/mask to 192.168.0.0/24 instead of 192.168.0.1/24. Great guide man, it worked out great once I figured out a couple of my own mistakes!
registered Linux user #338885
www.easylinuxguide.com
www.linuxforums.org

Last edited by Dillinger on Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:38 am; edited 3 times in total
anil_et
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Unable to send to outside world Reply with quote

Hi
I have followed your howto untill 3.4 to setup a mail server just enable my webserver to email passwords to users.
I was unable to do it because my ISP is blocking port 25 with the previous setup.
Now even after I followed the guide I could send mails only to internal addresses, I could send mails to myname@myisp.com. When I try someone@hotmail.com I get the following error
Quote:

Feb 15 23:37:23 puppy postfix/smtp[12444]: connect to mx3.hotmail.com[65.54.253.99]: Connection timed out (port 25)
Feb 15 23:37:46 puppy postfix/smtp[12262]: connect to mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.166.99]: Connection timed out (port 25)
Feb 15 23:37:46 puppy postfix/smtp[12262]: 7728747168: to=<myname@hotmail.com>, relay=none, delay=1603, status=deferred (connect to mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.166.99]: Connection timed out)
Feb 15 23:37:53 puppy postfix/smtp[12444]: connect to mx2.hotmail.com[65.54.190.7]: Connection timed out (port 25)

Here is my main.cf file
Quote:
root@puppy anil # grep -v "^#" /etc/postfix/main.cf | sed '/./,/^$/!d'
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix

command_directory = /usr/sbin

daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix

mail_owner = postfix

myorigin = $myhostname

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain $mydomain

unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450

mynetworks_style = subnet

mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 192.168.0.0/24

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail

debug_peer_level = 2

debugger_command =
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5

sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail

newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases

mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq

setgid_group = postdrop

manpage_directory = /usr/share/man

sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.18/sample

readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.18/readme
default_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
alias_database = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
alias_maps = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
home_mailbox = .maildir/

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, reject

smtpd_use_tls=yes
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/postfix/server.key
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/postfix/server.crt
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/postfix/server.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 3
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/saslpass
smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous

Any idea where I went wrong
Anil
Woolong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: postfix relaying problem Reply with quote

beowulf:
After solving the problem with sasl, my postfix relays msg for "internal" clients perfectly. However, it refuses to relay for "external" clients. It will only work if I add the external client's IP to "mynetworks", but this approach doesn't work for me because some external clients don't have static IP.

Here is my /etc/postfix/main.cf
Code:

inet_interfaces = all
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 10.0.9.0/24
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl2_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
smtpd_use_tls=yes
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/postfix/server.key
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/postfix/server.crt
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/postfix/server.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 3
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

Since sasl is doing authentication, is there a way to tell postfix to relay for "untrusted" clients?
Woolong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: 3.4 Making Postfix a Relay to our ISP: Reply with quote

beowulf:
To relay to an ISP, I just found out that you also need this line in /etc/postfix/main.cf:
Code:

relayhost = [smtp.of.isp]

note:You need to include [] to avoid mx look up

In my case, it's relayhost = [smtp.mail.yahoo.com]
anil_et
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Solved... Reply with quote

Hi
Quote:
To relay to an ISP, I just found out that you also need this line in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

Code:

That solved my problems
I have tried to set the
Code:
relaydomain = smtp.of.isp
before without success
Now everything works perfectly
Thankyou for sharing your discovery!!!! :wink:
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.4 Making Postfix a Relay to our ISP: Reply with quote

Woolong wrote:
beowulf:
Code:

note:You need to include [] to avoid mx look up

In my case, it's relayhost = [smtp.mail.yahoo.com]

Can it be a list of upstream servers? Let's say, if one of them is down it could be good to have another one for backup in the list. Just like MX records serve downstream, but in the opposite direction. Is it possible?
Woolong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxackall:
I don't know if you can specify multiple hosts. I guess in that case, just comment out "relayhost" to send directly.

You might want to check out transport. Do a "man transport".
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woolong wrote:
axxackall:
I don't know if you can specify multiple hosts. I guess in that case, just comment out "relayhost" to send directly.

You might want to check out transport. Do a "man transport".

Actually my question was about the host behind the firewall that cannot send directly, but only through one of gateway-smtp servers.

I am going to check docs for transport options.
Woolong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this, dunno if it helps:
Code:

# The fallback_relay parameter specifies zero or more hosts or domains
# to hand off mail to if a message destination is not found, or if a
# destination is unreachable.
fallback_relay = [smtp.of.isp]
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woolong wrote:
I just found this, dunno if it helps:
Code:

# The fallback_relay parameter specifies zero or more hosts or domains
# to hand off mail to if a message destination is not found, or if a
# destination is unreachable.
fallback_relay = [smtp.of.isp]

Excelent! Thank you! The problem is solved.
Woolong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Postfix relay mails from "untrusted" clients Reply with quote

beowulf:
For postfix to relay mails from "untrusted" clients, meaning relaying mails from clients not on the local network.
Code:

smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination

Your guide needs to include "smtpd_recipient_restrictions"! :wink:
john5211
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Postfix relay mails from "untrusted" clients Reply with quote

Woolong wrote:
beowulf:
For postfix to relay mails from "untrusted" clients, meaning relaying mails from clients not on the local network.
Code:

smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination

I think you actually have to be careful which of these lines you include ... in my setup, I want to be able to relay from external clients (not "untrusted", I don't think ... then you would be an open relay, right?) AND recieve mail directly to postfix (i.e. via an MX record). To get that combintation, I had to use:

Code:

#smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination

Leaving the client_restrictions in place actually restricts who is allowed to send mail *into* the network (at least as I understand it) ... so uncommenting that line effectively meant no one could send me mail at my domain unless they could authenticate against sasl (i.e. me).

John
Woolong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john5211 wrote:

I think you actually have to be careful which of these lines you include ... in my setup, I want to be able to relay from external clients (not "untrusted", I don't think ... then you would be an open relay, right?)

I was being too brief. I used "untrusted" because the client's IP is not in "mynetworks". I also assumed sasl authentication is used, so it's not an open relay. This is how you have an open relay:
Code:

smtpd_client_restrictions = permit
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit

Quote:

Leaving the client_restrictions in place actually restricts who is allowed to send mail *into* the network (at least as I understand it) ... so uncommenting that line effectively meant no one could send me mail at my domain unless they could authenticate against sasl (i.e. me).

You are right, "smtpd_client_restrictions" states who postfix relays mail from, and your setup works too. However, it works because the default behavior is permit, not reject. Here is an experiment you can run:
Code:
smtpd_client_restrictions = reject

And you'll see even as mail passes sasl authentication, postfix will still refuse relaying. I feel more comfortable to see my settings being explicit.
Code:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,reject_unauth_destination

Last edited by Woolong on Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
john5211
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize, it was I who was too brief :oops: ... I certainly didn't mean to imply that your setup was facilitating an open relay.

Anwyay, my main point was that the line:

Code:

will prohibit any mail from a server who cannot authenticate against sasl from entering your network, so that if you are trying to recieve mail 'directly from the internet' (i.e. not from an account at your ISP) for delivery to a local account, it will be rejected. Of course, if that's not what you're trying to do then it doesn't matter whether or not you include it.

John
Woolong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john5211 wrote:

will prohibit any mail from a server who cannot authenticate against sasl from entering your network, so that if you are trying to recieve mail 'directly from the internet' (i.e. not from an account at your ISP) for delivery to a local account, it will be rejected. Of course, if that's not what you're trying to do then it doesn't matter whether or not you include it.

john5211:
To my understanding, "smtpd_client_restrictions" either permits or rejects clients that try to send mail *to* postfix. That's it.

Code:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,reject_unauth_destination

You are right, it allows mail relaying for sasl authenticated clients. In reality, it doesn't make any difference if you comment it out because the default behavior is "permit". Hypothetically speaking, if the next version of postfix changes the default behavior to reject, without explicitly stating "permit_sasl_authenticated", *all* clients will get "access_deny". Therefore, it's safer to tell postfix to always permit_sasl_authenticated clients.

Last edited by Woolong on Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
john5211
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I have something else misconfigured, but I don't think so ...

When I uncomment the smtpd_client_restrictions line, I can no longer send mail to myself from external addresses (trust me on this, it took me forever to figure out what was wrong). An example to make sure we are talking about the same thing:

Let's say my domain name here at home is john.com, and that I am using an account at work to try to email myself. Also assume that the smtpd_client_restrictions flag is set as in any of your examples. From my work account (or any other account not routed through my local network), if I try to send a mail to john@john.com, it bounces back with an 'access denied' error, presumably because it cannot autheticate against sasl. Removing the smptd_client_restrictions line fixes the problem, and <address>@john.com can recieve mail from the outside world (as long as <address> is a valid email address, of course :)).

This is a completely seperate issue from trying to relay mail from a client that happens to be outside the network ... In that case smtpd_client_restrictions does add an extra layer of security (although it's not really needed). I only mentioned it because it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't recieve mail using my FQDN.

Of course, I could be missing the boat completely, in which case anyone out there should feel free to set me strait :).

John
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great howto.

Unfortunatly i'm having some dificulies :(.. i sem to becursed in this aspect !

I'm having a similar problem to john. I can send emails no problem. Even to yahoo (tho it comes in as bulk).

I cannot for the life of me make it receive.

I get a postamster message form the account i try to send to my system with as follows:

Code:
This report relates to your message:
Subject: test,
        Message-ID: <200402182225.10563.dwer@erwer.cef>,
        To: mdfg@sqs.dfgdfgs.org

of Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:25:17 +0000

Your message was not delivered to:
        mdfg@sqs.dfgdfgs.org
for the following reason:
Diagnostic was Unable to transfer, -1
Information MTA 'mdfg@sqs.dfgdfgs.org' gives error message <mdfg@sqs.dfgdfgs.org>: Relay access denied

The Original Message follows:

Received: from tt.audi (actually host 296.997.9.90.in-addr.arpa) by d2333 with SMTP (XT-PP) with ESMTP; Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:25:11 +0000
Reply-To: ddwer@erwer.cef
Organization: werwerwer
To: mdfg@sqs.dfgdfgs.org
Subject: test
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:25:10 +0000
User-Agent: KMail/1.5.4
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
  charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline
Message-Id: <200402182225.10563.dwer@erwer.cef>

The following errors is in the logs

Code:
Feb 18 22:25:17 [postfix/smtpd] starting TLS engine
Feb 18 22:25:17 [postfix/smtpd] connect from d2333.dfgdfgt.cfgm[193.134.789.99]
Feb 18 22:25:17 [postfix/smtpd] 8761511DA9F: client=d2333.dfgdfgt.cfgm[193.134.789.99]
Feb 18 22:25:17 [postfix/smtpd] 8761511DA9F: reject: RCPT from d2333.dfgdfgt.cfgm[193.134.789.99]: 554 <mdfg@sqs.dfgdfgs.org>: Relay access denied; from=<dwer@erwer.cef> to=<mdfg@sqs.dfgdfgs.org> proto=SMTP helo=<d2333.dfgdfgt.cfgm>
Feb 18 22:25:18 [postfix/smtpd] disconnect from d2333.dfgdfgt.cfgm[193.134.789.99]
Feb 18 22:30:00 [CRON] (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons )_

This has me stumped!!

I have tried various combinations of the line:

smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, reject

as mentioned above but have had no success with any :(

Cheers
john5211
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Could you post your entire main.cf?

ie the resutls from
Code:

grep -v '^#' /etc/postfix/main.cf

This is usually a good starting point for figuring out what is wrong.

John
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course..

queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
    command_directory = /usr/sbin
    daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
    mail_owner = postfix
    myorigin = a3.woops.daisy.org
    mydestination = smtp.woops.daisy.org, a3.woops.daisy.org
    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450
    mynetworks_style = subnet
    mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 192.168.22.0/24
    mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail
    debug_peer_level = 2
    debugger_command =
    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
    xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
    sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
    newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
    mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
    setgid_group = postdrop
    manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
    sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.16-r1/sample
    readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.16-r1/readme
    default_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
    alias_database = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
    local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
    home_mailbox = .maildir/

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no

Cheers :wink:

Edit: thinking about it now it was a bit pointless but i substituted my domain name for woops.daisy.org.
Woolong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john5211:
I'm sorry I misunderstood your question, and I verified the problem too. :oops: The problem is caused by the keyword "reject"

dan2003:
Add these lines to your /etc/postfix/main.cf
Code:

dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks..

All workng now :)
dj_goku
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Don't know if this is bad or what but I have some questions.

On 3.2 Adding SMTP-AUTH to Postfix:
root@server # vi /etc/sasl2/smtpd.conf -- I don't have this config
root@server # vi /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf -- I dont' have this config
So I made the file anyways and I have emerged Cyrus-SASL.

3.6 Automating and Finalizing:

Code:

root@server # vi /etc/mail/aliases

# Well-known aliases -- these should be filled in
 root:          2ls-beo

what do I put for 2ls-beo, I tried putting the user I created for everyday use. And this is what error came up.
Code:
root@testserver2 tek# /usr/bin/newaliases
newaliases: fatal: gethostbyname: No such file or directory

I'm not sure but this guide does say if you have to emerge things for or what...but other then that is good so far.

JO
smok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
i finally made everything working, not without problems thou. But after
few hours of searches through all mesages i made everything workable.

but... when started sasl auth. no mails can come from outside world

description:
i got my mail server in my own domain behind firewall. firewall is 10.0.0.1 and mail sever 10.0.0.2. when i made smtp sasl authentification of course all mails which come from outside are rejected.
how to make it so that everybody who wants to send mails from domain computers uses authentification and incoming mails to the domain not?

thanks in advance
smok
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used this guide by the 2nd time to successfully build my webmail server, however this time i found a big problem on the way.
Apparently squirrelmail (or php wich is my guess) made some sort of modification and doesn't use dns to translate addresses anymore.
I couldn't get squirrelmail to login to the imap server.
After much effort i finally found out that you must put THE EXACT ip address to wich the imap server is binded to.
I tried to put localhost, 127.0.0.1 and neither worked!? This made me totally confused but a quick netstat -an gave the answer. imap was binded to 0.0.0.0 so that was the adress i had to put in the squirrelmail config.
To change this just head to /etc/courier-imap/imapd and change the "ADDRESS=" to either 127.0.0.1 or let it be 0 and change the squirrelmail conf to 0.0.0.0
I don't know if this problem is only mine, or not, but i'll just leave this as a warning to any who need it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 14 of 27

Jump to: