Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Grub Error Collection [Part 8] [POST GRUB QUESTIONS HERE!]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Cool trick Neddy Reply with quote

It says the paste can be seen here: http://rafb.net/p/Mb6iNX18.html

I checked and it's my log, so I hope it helps you discern my problem.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: well I am back at square one.... Reply with quote

I had to shut the system down due to some electrical work, and rebooted hoping it would pick up the *-flacvest kernel but alas, no.

I don't know what to say Neddy, should I give up and wipe the disks reinstalling fresh, or do you think its worth working out?

I know the system finds the new *-flacvest kernel in chroot, but GRUB doesn't know anything about it, and what's the point of that then?

I'm a lot out of my element, and I know Hardy was impossibly unstable for my hardware. So I don't know what to do next. It would be a shame to throw out a system that was nearly configured as intended, minus some proprietary software that's been put on hold due to the problems I'm having getting any Linux to go...

I'm getting discouraged, but I realize you didn't sign up to be my babysitter. What's your honest opinion on what to do next?

Desperately Seeking Susan,
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just gotta ask it. Is your /boot partition mounted when you copy the kernel to /boot, and when you edit grub.conf, or did you forget to mount it? I have made this careless little mistake more times than I would like to mention. If /boot does not show up as a mounted partition when you do df, then it sin't mounted. In this cae, when you copy yur kernel and edit grub.conf, you are working in the /boot directory that gets hidden when you use /boot as a mount point to mount /dev/sda1 (or whatever your boot partition is...). If you do this, you will see your kernel and edited grub.conf when you are in a shell, but when you reboot, grub comes up and looks in the /dev/sda1 partition, not the /boot directory, and the new stuff isn't there. :o

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Very good question Reply with quote

I go through a lengthy mount process, and I'm ?fairly? certain I mount the /boot partition. Is there anything magical I can check for tomorrow (cuz I've had it for today, if you know Sailor Moon, then you know I'm in the Negaverse right now). I will try to regroup and discern all sage-like wisdom (NOT being an arse, promise) tomorrow when I stop hating on myself and get all all rational again. BTW I dig the rat avatar. Thx for your efforts in helping. (I feel guilty for being such a forum hog, I hope it helps someone someday)...

could you do me the favor of explaining "df"

Best to Everyone, and Thanks,

Humbly Yours,
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flacvest wrote:
What's your honest opinion on what to do next?
Consider the result you are attempting to obtain as opposed to the solution you are attempting to put into effect. There are easier ways to achieve the desired level of redundancy.

Instead of trying to use a given runlevel for two distinct purposes based on which kernel is in use, which would not be trivial to implement, consider using the kernel command line as specified in the grub configuration to specify which runlevel to enter when booting each kernel, which would be trivial to implement.

flacvest wrote:
I go through a lengthy mount process, and I'm ?fairly? certain I mount the /boot partition.
If you are referring to mounting various file systems in preparation to enter a chroot environment, I suggest writing a short shell script in the root of that hierarchy to do the mounts and start the chroot and unmount things when the chroot is terminated if you need to return to that environment repeatedly. Such a script is trivial to create, ensures consistency between multiple invocations and can be removed, or moved elsewhere, once the system is booting properly. Regardless of how the commands are invoked, it is worth checking on their results at this point.

flacvest wrote:
could you do me the favor of explaining "df"
In this case it is being used to provide a succinct summary of potentially relevant mounts, a more verbose listing of what is mounted is provided by invoking mount without any arguments. In addition to listing what mounts are available df also presents additional information, when invoked without any option arguments it reports space availability in 1 kilobyte units, when the -m option is used it does the same using 1 megabyte units, the -i option causes it to report number of used and available inodes. In addition to the option arguments, mounts can be specified by name or device to limit the information presented to the specified mounts.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flacvest,

It is almost never a good idea to wipe gentoo and reinstall it, simply becuase it almost never fixes the problem.
It may work if the problem was 'finger trouble', and you get that step right next time.

You want to fix Xorg and you want another kernel. Reinstalling will not fix either issue as both are configuration issues.
Reinstalling is a bad habit you picked up while using another OS.

Your Xorg.0.log shows that the VESA driver cannot find any graphics chips it knows how to drive, however, its looking on
Code:
(II) Primary Device is: ISA
the ISA bus and you don't have one of those. See man xorg.conf about adding a BusID line close to the device "vesa" option.
emerge pciutils if you dont have it anc find the bus number you need from lspci. Mine shows
Code:
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller:...
so my entry would be
Code:
BusID  "PCI:3:0:0"
You use your lspci output to get the bus number for your graphics card.

Note that you can boot normally to the command line if you take xdm out of the defualt runlevel while we fix Xorg.
You can use the normal booting to the shell prompt to sort out your other kernel too.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Rede
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone help me set up my grub.conf file? I am having no luck.

I have Vista installed on sda and have install gentoo on sdb with the following partitions:

sdb1 /boot
sdb2 swap
sdb3 /

I can set grub up to get into my windows install but not my gentoo, can someone please let me know what i have to put in my grub.conf.

Thanks
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rede,

Please tell us the error message you et when you try to boot Gentoo.
Why do you think grub.conf is wrong ?
Please post your grub.conf

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Rede
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all good I fixed my problem.

Please disregard my post, thanks anyway :)
big-Job
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: GRUB error code 17 Reply with quote

[*] I have installed GRUB on a dual boot XP / Linux machine. But now when the system boots it gives the following message

'Searching for Boot record from IDE-0..OK'
GRUB Loading stage1.5
GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17'

The system i am using does not have a CD drive or a floppy. It does have windows XP installed on the first partition.

How can I get past this Error 17 message and get the system working again either in Linux or windows? I know I have to edit GRUB but I can't work out how to do that at boot time.

thanks
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big-Job

Welcome to gentoo. info grub says
Code:

17 : Cannot mount selected partition
     This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
     filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

That probably means that you have pointed a (hdx,y) entry in grub.conf to your ntfs (Windows) or the extended partition.
Or you did something similar on install, so the grub stage 1.5 is trying to read from a partition it does not understand.

Longer shot, you have connected or removed a USB storage device since grub was installed ang your BIOs has changed device numbering.

The fix is to reinstall grub or check your grub.conf

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not have a CD drive, if you can temporarily install one, that would make your life easier. If that is not possible, maybe you could remove the hard drive and install it on another system that is already running linux, or at least has a cd drive you could boot a livecd with. Either approach would allow you to work on the offending hard drive as a pure data drive, including doing the chroot, etc. if needed. You could at least run grub to reinstall it, but beware bioses that renumber devices in weird ways. :evil:

Punami
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got the error 15 problem - how to solve?

Details:
Grub is running on hda3, my linux ext2 Partion.
Windows, my old OS is running on hda1. It works fine with GRUB.

Just if i try to boot linux I got the error 15, File not found. But the bzImage is in /boot directory.

I ve run emerge grub-install during the installation of gentoo.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punami,

Grub is loading and reading your grub.conf file ... thats the good news.

Error 15 means the file names that grub is looking for are not found.
This can mean that your
Code:
boot -> .
symbolic links is missing or the files are named differently in /boot and in grub.conf.

Please post your grub.conf and the output of
Code:
ls -al /boot

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Punami
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grub.conf

Code:
default 0
timeout 10
title Gentoo 2.6.24-r5
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.24-r5 root=/dev/hda3

title WindowsXP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeaktive
chainloader +1

ls:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 jul 4 15:45 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 1024 jul 2 15:28 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 19 2007 .keep
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1 jul 1 20:33 boot -> .
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3292408 Jul 4 15:07 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3292408 Jul 4 13:23 kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3292408 Jul 4 13:24 kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r8
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punami,

grub.conf says
Code:
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.24-r5
Thats the kernel file its trying to load.
/boot contains
Code:
kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r5

kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r5 <> kernel-2.6.24-r5 = Error 15

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Punami
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouhhh... :oops:
Thanks... :lol:
Sometimes I'm very stupid :roll:
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punami,

Its not stupid.
You read what you thought your wrote. Thats why its easy for someone looking over your shoulder to see what you miss.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased 4 Gateway boxes that came off lease. Got a good price on them. I am replacing some older machines: a pair of winchip 200 MHz boxes, a Pentium 233 MHz box, and a Pentium 600 MHz Coppermine box. These old machines are going to the spare parts graveyard. They are just too slow for this day and age. They have served well, but retirement time is here. :cry:

The new Gateways are 3 GHz hyper-threading Pentiums with 40 GB SATA drives, and IDE CD/ROM drives, and 512 MB ram. Three of these boxes are destined to become firewalls and VPN servers; they get an extra ethernet port installed into the PCI bus. The remaining box is to become a "virtual workstation" -- it will be accessed via VNC remotely; it got 1.5 GB ram, and will get a much bigger disk drive. 8)

I burned a nice fresh livecd-i686-installer-2008.0_beta2-r1.iso to boot in the CD drive, but it won't boot! Instead of the familiar grub kernel selection menu screen, I just get a bare grub> prompt.

I have fiddled with the BIOS settings until I am blue in the face. I googled hoping to find some clue. Now that I have done my due dilligence, I come crawling on my hands and knees begging shamefully for help. :oops:

Anybody know how to boot a livecd on these boxes? :?

Thanks! :D

PS I know these boxes will boot from the 40 GB SATA drives in them, because they come up in windoze xp pro if there is no CD in them. :evil:
It also boots the windoze xp pro install CD just fine. 8O

NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's no error message, but this does seem like a problem. After doing a fresh install on a new computer, GRUB is unusually slow to load. It takes a couple seconds to display the first line (regarding, "Loading GRUB..."), and then it hangs for an additional couple seconds before saying it again and going to the GRUB menu. On my other computers (which were installed using various "releases" of Gentoo (2007.0, et cetera), GRUB didn't seem to take this long. I'm just looking for a way to troubleshoot the problem. Is it possibly a problem with the HDD (different than the one onto which Gentoo is installed)?
spindle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: /dev/hd* does not have any corresponding BIOS drive. Reply with quote

I couldn't find any reference to this issue in the forum. Apologies if this was already covered here.

I got this message today when upgrading stage1 and stage2.
Code:
# grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hde
/dev/hde does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

I found out this happens when the /boot/grub/device.map gets out of sync and misses a line for where you are trying to install to. Probably happens when you add or remove drives and maybe if you change the drive order in BIOS. For me it was mainly because over the years I was added drives and switched to an IDE card for a couple of drives which included my main boot disk (hde). Yes, it's been a long time since I've updated stage1 & 2.

This is what I had in device.map at the time, as you can see I'm missing a line for /dev/hde. This looks correct for how my system was setup a long while ago, but is way off from what I have setup now,
Code:
# cat /boot/grub/device.map
(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/hda
(hd1)   /dev/hdc

To fix it I added the --recheck command to the grub-install line like,
Code:
# grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/boot /dev/hde
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/hde
(hd1)   /dev/hdg
(hd2)   /dev/sda
(hd3)   /dev/sdb

Which generated a correct map from what I can tell. As you can see it's a lot different than what I had before. But if you like you could manually add the needed line to your device.map.

Note that my incorrect old device.map didn't affect the boot process, that worked correctly. When I moved the position of hde (which was called hda before) it was still pointing to hd0 in grub so that didn't break. I think I just had to change the root param to the kernel to root=/dev/hde3 from root=/dev/hda3. And probably the position to my WinXP disk (now hd3 in grub). I'm not sure but this only seems to grub-install as an aid to the install process.
cairo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i have mess up myself, i got two separate hardisks
hda --> window xp
hdb --> gentoo

Quote:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.24-r8
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hdb3 real_root=/dev/hdb3
#initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.24-gentoo-r5

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.24-r8 (rescue)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hdb3 init=/bin/bb
# vim:ft=conf:

title=Window XP
root (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
#map (hd1) (hd0)
#map (hd0) (hd1)

is my grub.conf correct ? it seems not working, after bios, the grub.conf doesn't boot, it proceed to window xp
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you do have some problems with your grub.conf, but that wouldn't cause it to skip grub completely. The problem is more likely related to grub getting loaded into the MBR. Here's how your grub.conf should look:

Code:

default 0
timeout 10

title Gentoo Linux
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/sdb3

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

That's a stripped down grub.conf, but it will get the job done and you can always edit it later.

HOWEVER, the big problem is that grub appears to not be loaded into the MBR. What you would need to do is pop in the Gentoo minimal installation disc, and chroot back into your environment:

Code:

mount -t FSTYPE /dev/ROOT /mnt/gentoo
mount -t FSTYPE /dev/BOOT /mnt/gentoo/boot
swapon /dev/SWAP
mount -t proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update && source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

Replacing anything in CAPS with the actual values. If you followed the handbook precisely, it should look like this:

Code:

mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb3 /mnt/gentoo
mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
swapon /dev/sdb2
mount -t proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update && source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

That's also provided you are using the 2008.0 minimal installation disc, which will call any harddrive sdX instead of hdX.

Now that you're inside of your environment, you need to install grub in the MBR (which is on the first harddrive:

Code:

grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab
grub --no-floppy

You will then see the grub menu (which is indicated by the prompt of grub>). Type the following three commands:

Code:

root (hd1,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

Then reboot the system by doing the following:

Code:

exit
cd
umount /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo
reboot

Remove the installation disc, and grub should load up. If you have any further questions, please just ask.
jordanwb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Booting 'Gentoo Linux 2.6.26'

root (hd0,4)
Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83
kernel /linux-2.6.26 real_root=/dev/sda6 video quiet

Error 15: File Not found

I compiled the kernel with reiserfs support and both /dev/sda5 (/boot) and /dev/sda6 (/) are both reiserfs. This is the third time I've tried to install Gentoo.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanwb,

The file named *exactly* linux-2.6.26 is not found on root (hd0,4) (/dev/sda5 ?)
Code:
Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83
shows that Grub can read your filesystem

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 28 of 29

Jump to: