Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Grub Error Collection [Part 8] [POST GRUB QUESTIONS HERE!]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flacvest,

Everythng you have seen so far is correct. The cyan indicates that the symlink actually points to something.
You only need a backup kernel for times when your new kernel won't boot. It should not be needed to fix Xorg or GDM.

I have never used genkernel, so cannot give explicit instructions. All I can say is do whatever you did when you made your old kernel and inux-2.6.24-gentoo-r8-flacvest will be built and installed into /boot.

You have to add it to grub.conf a little like this thats a browsable image of my laptop.
Its grub.conf has several hand made kernels.

Essentially, you copy your existing booting stanza, thats the
Code:
title=
root
kernel
initrd
lines to the end of the file and change the kernel and initrd file names.
The tile= line appears in the grub menu ... thats just for you.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Backup Kernel Reply with quote

Neddy,

I will give your instructions a go. Looks like we're on the same page since a backup kernel is what I want. Thank you for equipping me with the tools to get going. I have learned from my experience with the *Buntus that having a backup kernel is almost essential with Linux... It's better than having "SAFE MODE" on M$ Windows. It will save your bacon for those times when you are too green with Linux to know better and gives you a way to fix your box without a fsck/xfs mount/umount / xfs_repair mount / chroot hailmary. It's been wonderful experience learning that way; however having a backup kernel that boots to a command line is way sweet!

I'm learning tons with Gentoo and the HOWTOs and documentation and I believe anybody with a dualcore or quick system should "upgrade" from a candy distro to the Option "laden" higher quality Gentoo distro: Besides what's better than hand-crafting a perfect system?

Well that's all for the 6am philosopy theorem.

Thanks for helping Linux make sense to me, You're a kind soul,
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy,

On this machine, a core2 duo running 64 bit, I can only get black and white to show up with the grub screen. While it works, it's kind of dull looking. What color combinations work, and which don't. Here's my grub.conf:
Code:
default 0
timeout 30
color black/yellow red/blue
#
#
title 2.6.22-gentoo-r10
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-gentoo-r10 root=/dev/sda1 vga=791
#
title 2.6.22.19
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.19 root=/dev/sda1 vga=791
#
title 2.6.25-gentoo-r3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/sda1 vga=791
#
title 2.6.25
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25 root=/dev/sda1 vga=791

I freely admit I haven't looked this one up. I just felt like asking a question.

Thanks in advance.

Blessed be!
Pappy
shazam75
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: cannot open root device 343 Reply with quote

Hi

I tried to boot into the new gentoo install but now I get "cannot open root device "343" or unknow-block(3,67)

Anyone know how to resolve this ?

Thanks again
Shelton.

[merged by NeddySeagoon - See your reply 2 posts down]
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae,

All but one of my systems run 24/7 and headless, so I've not looked into boot time eye candy at all.
Code:
info grub
is your friend, its all in section 13.2.2.

Code:
color black/yellow
looks like it should work but why would you want black text ?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shazam75,

Block device (3,43) is hda43 ... That suggests your grub.conf has a kernel paramater (real_)root=/dev/hda43
Such large partition numbers would be unusual but not incorrect.
I suspect you have a typo there.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
pappy_mcfae,

All but one of my systems run 24/7 and headless, so I've not looked into boot time eye candy at all.
Code:
info grub
is your friend, its all in section 13.2.2.

Code:
color black/yellow
looks like it should work but why would you want black text ?

It's all about experimentation. I'm good with lilo, not so much with grub. So, I'll look into the suggested info page. I made grub work the first time i tried it, which amazed even myself. :)

Thanks.

Blessed be!
Pappy
shazam75
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
shazam75,

Block device (3,43) is hda43 ... That suggests your grub.conf has a kernel paramater (real_)root=/dev/hda43
Such large partition numbers would be unusual but not incorrect.
I suspect you have a typo there.

Hi Neddy

Thanks for replying - but I do not have GRUB but LILO - I initially was going to use GRUB and emerged it, then I changed my mind and emerge -C grub and installed LILO - so maybe it is still trying to look at GRUB? But i am sure the LILO screen comes up when I try and choose which kernel to install.

The install is on /dev/hdb. This Hard Drive is connected to the primary slave - the primary master is the CDROM - which in the BIOS is set to boot first - will this be a problem ?

So what should I try next ?

edit - I have a intel ICH7 southbridge chip and just saw your instructions on how to configure the kernel - basically use SATA even though I have PATA for my CDROM and Hard Drives ?

Thanks
Shelton.
shazam75
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i am about to give up now - im just completely exhausted - i have tried everything - everything - mentioned here - the tips etc and i keep getting the same problem - kernel panic - i changed from lilo to grub and grub now says cannot open root device on hdb3 and cannot mount on (0,0) .

this is it my last go - running genkernel - gentoo is really neat but unforunately i cannot conquer this problem.

I have a intel chip set ICH7 and tried everything in the kernel - i think the boot cannot see my hard drive - i even removed the CDROM and still no go.

EDIT
Well the genkernel seemed to have got me in - I really dont know why the normal compile of the kernel does not work - what else can i try out? I really want to have control over the kernel ?

Why does genkernel work ? and my manual compile does not?

Can i now manually change the kernel and recompile ?
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Tearing Hair Out! chroot yeilds CLI but not GUI Reply with quote

Hi Neddy,

Here's what I am able to do with my system:

1. boot to the live cd.
2. mount and unmount the filesystems to replay the journals (i guess this is an XFS thing)
3. run e2fsck on the ext2 and ext3 filesystems.
4. run xfs_repair on the xfs partitions.
5. mount the filesystems to /mnt/gentoo*
6. get into a chroot environment
7. see all my files via CLI

What I can't do:

1. boot normally (I'm assuming since the fglrx module isn't loading, and GDM is set to the default runlevel)
2. add a "recovery kernel" set to runlevel 3 (I believe that's the runlevel for CLI, right?) to GRUB menu (GRUB internals are way over my head)
3. start an X session ( I think I just don't have the right info in my xorg.conf??? for this card, it worked with the Radeon HD 2600 Pro, but not this Radeon AIW X1900 XT ).
4. do a GRUB install to add the second kernel to the GRUB menu.

*sign* I've been down for about a week now, and am feeling stupid. When everything was up and running I was running Gentoo and managing it with Porthole just fine, now am lost in a chroot with no GUI. I need industrial strength assistance.

I haven't gotten anywhere so far. Just keep getting teased by my progress. At this point I would even consider scrapping everything and starting over, but I'd rather not do that if possible.

Maybe you have a few ideas?? I hope...

Thanks in advance.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shazam75,

Stick with grub or lilo - they both work, its a matter of personal preference.
Grub is easier to use long term as you just edit its grub.conf when you add a kernel.
With lilo, you have to edit lilo.conf and remember to run /sbin/lilo.

Code:
cannot mount root on (0,0)
means the kernel is missing the driver for your hard drive chip set. That means you have not selected it as <*> in your kernel configration. In fact, all the things you need to boot with must be <*>. See DIY Kernels Its a little old now but the principles are still sound.

As you have a get-you-going with genkernel, you can install your own kernel beside the genkernel one. That takes the pressure off you a bit and gives you an easy recovery method when your own kernel won't boot.
We all make kernels that won't boot from time to time.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flacvest,

I hate trying to solve more than one problem at a time but here is dome workarounds to get you going.
Quote:
1. boot normally (I'm assuming since the fglrx module isn't loading, and GDM is set to the default runlevel)

Get into your chroot and remove xdm from the default runlevel. You do this with
Code:
rc-update xdm del
GDM will no longer be run as a part of the startup sequence.
Having gained CLI control, try the vesa or ati (not fglrx) drivers. You may need to emerge them x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa and/or x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati
find driver "fglrx" in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the "fglrx" part to be "vesa" or "ati"
The idea is got you a Xorg that operates - we will make it better later. startx to test.

Code:
2. add a "recovery kernel" set to runlevel 3 (I believe that's the runlevel for CLI, right?) to GRUB menu (GRUB internals are way over my head)
Gentoo doesn't quite work that way. Multi User CLI mode is runlevel 3 and GUI mode is runlevel 5, on those systems that support runlevels like that.
Gentoo runlevels are words, like defualt, nonetwork ... and you may define your own too.

Quote:
3. start an X session ( I think I just don't have the right info in my xorg.conf??? for this card, it worked with the Radeon HD 2600 Pro, but not this Radeon AIW X1900 XT ).
Try a nice simple driver first. This will test all of yor xorg.conf.
Add the fglrx binary blob later, once everything else is the way you like it. See my response to 1 above.
Quote:

4. do a GRUB install to add the second kernel to the GRUB menu.

See my laptop image in the link I posted. You can browse its /boot, see its kernels and see its grub.conf. I know it works, I use it on my laptop, well I did about 8 months ago.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
shazam75
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neddy

yea what i am going to do is keep the genkernel as a back up and slowly stip away all the unneed modules and other features that i really dont need that comes with the genkernel compile. Then I can also see what other things i needed in the kernel for it to work. Funny thing is I chose all the options you suggested and it still didnt boot - so must be it needs something else.

Thanks again
Shelton.
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had situations in the past where it worked as a module, but not as statisly linked. I think it was a timing race condition between software and hardware initialization. Since the module took a bit longer to load and initialize, the hardware was ready for it, but it failed when staticly linked into the kernel. I don't remember what exactly the driver/module was, as it was long ago. 8O

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Lets step back a bit Reply with quote

Neddy, I think I would like to rebuild a genkernel (with the necessary hardware built-in per your previous posts) as runlevel 3 keyword default and a second one, a copy, built as runlevel 3 appended with the -flacvest denotation from the EXTRAKERNEL slot in the Makefile and assign it to runlevel 3 with some other keyword ( I don't know how to set that up...)

I was able to do everything suggested until we got to the non-fglrx ati-drivers which refuse to work at all. I've tried "radeon" and "ati" and "vesa" as the driver keyword, with the xorgcfg -textmode setup... which created this huge confusing file I couldn't read very well.

So let's ignore X until I can get a pair of kernels booting to CLI, with one as a backup with the -flacvest postpended to it, and one with the normal -gentoo-r8 postpended to it.

About this keyword thing for multiuser CLI... you'll have to explain or give me simple clear instructions and point me to further resources. I'm not stupid, I'm just frustrated and want to take this step by step and build a cleanly working permanent installation. I'm not in the biggest hurry but I would like to be running Xfce again before July... *BIG Grin*

Thanks again for your patience,
Arcadium86
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Today I tried to install Gentoo (2007.0) by using the handbook, everything was going allright until the configuration of the bootloader came along.

I configured Grub just like the manual, but after rebooting I receive the following message:

Code:

>> Activating mdev
ls:    :  No such file or directory
>> Determining root device...
!! Could not find the root block device in   .
   Please specify another value or: press Enter for the same, type "shell"
   for a shell, or "q" to skip...
root block device

Now when i type in /dev/sda3 there the system boots. But there must be something to do to prevent it?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flacvest,

I'm not sure where to find documentation on Gentoos runlevels.
Code:
man rc-update is a bit brief

Essentially, Gentoo provides a number of named runlevels like boot, defualt nonetwork and each of the init scripts contains a list of the things it depends on. So for example, if you add sshd to the default runlevel, that will also cause networking to be started, since sshd depends on networking.

Try
Code:
rc-update --verbose
to see what you have defined where.
Exactly what is in each runlevel is up to you. boot should only contain things *essentail* to booting.
defualt can be the same as runlevel 3 or runlevel 5, depending on if xdm is added to default or not.

You can also define your own runlevels and sublevels thats documented in the comments in the startup files somewere.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flacvest,

Go back to your xorg.conf, use the vesa driver as I described. When xorg fails to start, post the content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
That will indicate the problem.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcadium86,

Welcome to Gentoo

Please post your grub.conf file

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Let me see if I have my head wrapped around runlevels Reply with quote

Seems that I want everything pared down so that ONLY boot items are in boot, default contains things that, in addition to 'boot' are loaded at default bootup, and here's where my powers of reasoning peter out. You say we can define our own keywords? like 'rescue' or something. That would work for me: if I could get a command prompt running only essential services without X, and just a CLI that would allow maintenance per what I am used to, yes? Or is there pie in my eye?

I'll address your other response seperately.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Question: should I now try booting into my own system? Reply with quote

I'm currently in chroot on the live cd for 2008.0.beta2.... I'd hate to waste my time rechecking filesystems and chrooting yet again, but after removing xdm from the default runlevel is it safe to try booting my system without the live cd again??

Whaddya think Neddy?

Awaiting Response...
Arcadium86
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad I forgot it could be handy ;).

Code:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.24-r8
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.24-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/ram0 init/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_boot=/dev/sda3 udev
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.24-gentoo-r8

only 1 harddisk present so that is /dev/sda
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: About the /var/log/Xorg.log.0 Reply with quote

It stated at the end that no screens were found...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcadium86

Code:
real_boot=/dev/sda3
that should be real_root

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flacvest,

I need the whole file.
Code:
emerge wgetpaste

Do
Code:
 wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and post the URL it gives you.

That command puts your file onto a pastebin site so I can veiew it.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 27 of 29

Jump to: