View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joseph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will gentoo work on Lenovo N-series (3000 N100)?

my laptop specs are:

512Mb RAM
80GB Harddisk
Pentium IV 1.66GHZ
CD/DVD BURNER
No Mouse ( only touchpad )

please also tell me where can i get cheap distribution through CD which I can order Online?
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Gentoo running great on my ASUS A6Jc. Wireless, PCMCIA, MMC, Geforce Go 7300, FireWire, and the media buttons work great. Of course it took time to get it to work how I wanted but she runs great now.
pgolik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me join this thread with a kinda serious question about the viability of Linux (Gentoo in particular) on a laptop. This is not a troll but a technical question, and 'm not interested in non-technical advocacy (free vs. non-free, I don't care as long as it does what I want it to).
I've used Linux as my primary OS for the last 6-7 years, now (for about 2 years) it's Gentoo with KDE as the DE. I have very little experience with laptops, though. I'm about to move all my personal computing to a new laptop, and I narrowed it down to two options: either a Thinkpad T61 with Linux (Gentoo most likely) or a Macbook Pro with OSX. Windows is out of the question - I need an Unix environment. As I said, ideology is irrelevant, just the technicalities. I'm perfectly happy with my gentoo desktop, but I expect the laptop to provide me essential functionality and comfort. I don't mind tweaking the installation - compiling a custom patched kernel, downloading and compiling drivers, tweaking config files - I'm perfectly OK with that, as long as it can be done once and then it just works. Here's the things that I expect to work:

- power management & suspend. I close the lid and the laptop hibernates, I open it and it wakes up. No rebooting, no restarting X, no restarting services manually. Dynamic CPU scaling etc. It currently works this way on my dekstop.
- battery and AC configuration. I plug the AC in and it works at full specs, I unplug and it runs on battery with powersaving enabled. No rebooting with custom "battery" and "AC" runlevels, I want it to just work without rebooting.
- Multiple displays. I plug in an external display or a presentation beamer and set it to clone my desktop (for the beamer) or extend the workspace. It should work without having to restart X or reboot, I should be able to change the mode (clone or extend) and resolution for the external display on the fly. If I choose a T61 it'll have the Nvidia card, will nvidia-settings provide me with all that? Having to tweak the xorg.conf each time a new display is connected is out of the question. Presentations and external displays should jut work without handicaps (such as no 3D acceleration with multiple monitors etc.)
- Docking station (in the case of T61, the Mac has a built-in DVI-D port, which is enough). Docking and undocking without having to reboot (hibernating before undocking is fine). External DVI-D display on the docking station should work (see above), also USB keyboard and mouse.
-Switching network profiles and wireless networking. I want to swith between several wired and wireless network configs (some with a static IP, some with DHCP) with a simple tool (GUI preferred, like network-manager). No rebooting or manual profile tweaking each time I move from the home network (DHCP) to the workplace network (static IP). Wireless network discovery and connection with a GUI. Also, bluetooth with the cellphone as a modem, after the initial setting-up I wont it to work with a few clicks to connect.

I believe you have a general idea of what I need. Let me repeat - I don't mind spending lots of time to get it to work, I know it's the gentoo way, but once configured I want it to work with minimal hassle. Can Linux do that, or shall I have to go OSX? I googled a lot, but most pages are hopelessly outdated. I looked at the "working Gentoo laptops" thread, but it's full of posts like "it works beutifully, only I have no sound and the screen is blank upon resume, but other than that it's great" - this is not what I mean by "working".
andrewaclt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to make the same decision as you (Gentoo vs OS X) and in my eyes every issue you listed can be done with either Gentoo or OS X, assuming you get good hardware (assuming a t61 -- although I'm not entirely sure about docking). Of course with Gentoo, you'll have to work for it in some cases, which is perfectly fine.

I personally went with OS X on a MBP, and it should arrive Friday :) . Of course, every other day I change my mind about my decision being a good one or not...
pgolik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards the MBP as well. After all, if I find myself hating OSX I can always install gentoo on the MBP, while it's much harder to get a working install of OSX on a thinkpad. And the price gap isn't as big as it used to be.
Evincar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to answer you to the best of my knowledge...
pgolik wrote:

- power management & suspend. I close the lid and the laptop hibernates, I open it and it wakes up. No rebooting, no restarting X, no restarting services manually. Dynamic CPU scaling etc. It currently works this way on my dekstop.

Not too sure about open it and wake up. About the rest, I know it works well in most cases, but you may have to sacrifice some of the latest features, at least for the time being (Tickless kernels and hibernation seem to have some issues together). Regarding the services, well, you can have wathever fixes/hacks you need in a script. May slow you down a bit, but you won't need to do it manually
Quote:

- battery and AC configuration. I plug the AC in and it works at full specs, I unplug and it runs on battery with powersaving enabled. No rebooting with custom "battery" and "AC" runlevels, I want it to just work without rebooting.

Laptop mode is working here doing exactly that.
Quote:

- Multiple displays. I plug in an external display or a presentation beamer and set it to clone my desktop (for the beamer) or extend the workspace. It should work without having to restart X or reboot, I should be able to change the mode (clone or extend) and resolution for the external display on the fly. If I choose a T61 it'll have the Nvidia card, will nvidia-settings provide me with all that? Having to tweak the xorg.conf each time a new display is connected is out of the question. Presentations and external displays should jut work without handicaps (such as no 3D acceleration with multiple monitors etc.)

Avoid ATi at any cost, and, I think , also the 8xxx series from NVidia, at least for the moment.
- Docking station (in the case of T61, the Mac has a built-in DVI-D port, which is enough). Docking and undocking without having to reboot (hibernating before undocking is fine). External DVI-D display on the docking station should work (see above), also USB keyboard and mouse.[/quote]
No clue, sorry
Quote:
-Switching network profiles and wireless networking. I want to swith between several wired and wireless network configs (some with a static IP, some with DHCP) with a simple tool (GUI preferred, like network-manager). No rebooting or manual profile tweaking each time I move from the home network (DHCP) to the workplace network (static IP). Wireless network discovery and connection with a GUI. Also, bluetooth with the cellphone as a modem, after the initial setting-up I wont it to work with a few clicks to connect.

You can have the wireless profiles completely automatic, not even need to select your network! http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Network_profiles_with_arping
Bluetooth, no experience with it, sorry.[/quote]
<@Chin^> there is no justice in the world...
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dell Inspiron E1705 runs amazingly. The only problem I am having setting it up is the WiFi because I have the new Intel A/B/G/N card. Granted, I haven't tried to set it up, but still... ;)
Dirk.R.Gently
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MacBook at first wasn't too awesome with Gentoo but now after a year and a half it's almost perfect. The only thing I'd have to complain about is the i810 driver which unfortunately after the 1.7.4 version introduced holes in security.
pgolik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk.R.Gently wrote:
The only thing I'd have to complain about is the i810 driver which unfortunately after the 1.7.4 version introduced holes in security.

The one I'm looking at has a Nvidia GPU, and I had very positive results with the closed drivers from nvidia on my desktop.
merlijn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue a year ago, when even less of the cool stuff on laptops was supported. I got a MBP purely for the sake of not donating a buck to M$ and because the design is wonderful.

OSX really is nice to work with, and for whenever I feel the need to have a more hardcore OS, I just boot up on of the parallels images with gentoo/freebsd and everything works like a charm. I feel like i couldn't have bought anything better than the macbook i have. Perhaps only the new ones with 1920x1200 *drool*

Cheers,
theethicalatheist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ThinkPad R52:

Pentium M 1.73Ghz (frequency scaling works)
Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG (works great, WPA/WEP)
Broadcom Tg3 Gigabit Ethernet (works fine)
Synaptics TouchPad works
Display brightness toggle keys work (controlled by BIOS)
Volume keys work (controlled by BIOS too i think)
ATI Radeon Mobility x300 (works with the "fglrx" driver, as well as the open source driver)
Power Management works with the "thinkpad_acpi" kernel module
Intel ICH6 audio works

Haven't bothered to configure the modem or bluetooth. (they are supported AFAIK)
marcus0263
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently running Gentoo on a Fujitsu, I'm really not that pleased with it. The SIS chipset is pretty buggy with ACPI and it's a beast at over 10 lbs, so after having it for a couple of years I'm going to end up giving it to my Niece.

Anyway as far as laptops I've been checking out Mtech http://www.mtechlaptops.com/

What I like is the ability to order what you need/want and can get it without an OS.

Anyone have experience with them?
Gentoo Powered
lordll
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give zepto.com a try :)

However, take a look at the T61 Lenovo Thinkpad, too!
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Lenovo_Thinkpad_T61)

IF I had money, both would be mine :D
St3v3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dizzutch wrote:
I've been very happy with my IBM Thinkpads (now Lenovo). I have run Gentoo without any problems on a T40, T60p and a Xseries (forget the number)
The biggest roadblock tends to be the wifi driver (IMHO) so make sure the one you're getting is supported...native driver tend to be easier maintainable than ndiswrapper.
Good luck.

_dizz

up until recently i would have agreed with you that ibm/lenovo are the best, but th enew models are RUBBISH, you can bend the cases with your fingers then they wont sit flat on a desktop.

shame, my old t23 is still going strong!
a5friemen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: buyer beware Reply with quote

I've got Gentoo running on my HP dv9335nr. Works great!

Gentoo 2007.0 worked almost 'out of the box' with the text installer.
Uses intel 3945abg no trouble, and nvidia-drivers for the gforce go 7600. Beryl runs no trouble.

One new horrible new problem from HP... HP claims that you void your warranty if you install any other operating system other than the factory installed Vista. You cannot even install Windoze a different way.

Pentuim MMX
64MB ram
VGA Console

I LOVE Linux!
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: buyer beware Reply with quote

a5friemen wrote:
I've got Gentoo running on my HP dv9335nr. Works great!

Gentoo 2007.0 worked almost 'out of the box' with the text installer.
Uses intel 3945abg no trouble, and nvidia-drivers for the gforce go 7600. Beryl runs no trouble.

One new horrible new problem from HP... HP claims that you void your warranty if you install any other operating system other than the factory installed Vista. You cannot even install Windoze a different way.

Well, personaly i would not touch any hardware that is made "windoze only".Good bye hp laptops :wink:
CommanderHammilton
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently running Gentoo 2007 on a LENOVO R60 Works great!

Kernel 2.6.22-gentoo-r5 ( genkernel : )

Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo: 2x T5600 1.83 GHz
2048 MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM FSB: 667MHz
120GB Serial-ATA
15 Zoll SXGA+ TFT 1400x1050
ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 / 128MB GDDR RAM / PCI Express ---> A mess until it runs
dah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Laptops Reply with quote

I've been running Gentoo off and on for 3.5 years, I've been a UNIX user almost 8 years. I've run Red Hat (way back when..) on P2 laptops, I ran Debian on an iBook G4 and this february my company chipped in for a MacBook. I was lucky enough to get a Core2Duo revision right after they came out and so far I love it. I set it up to dual boot OS X and a Linux OS (I've got an odd curiosity for OSs and I like to try as many as I can). I ran Fedora Core 6 for a while which was super easy to install but didn't end up running too well.
For the past month I've run Gentoo and I love it. It took a bit longer to install but I haven't had any major problems. The wireless card is supported by madwifi now and (aside from security holes in drivers) the Intel graphics chip has been great. I've been a big fan of ATI cards in my desktops for years and you shouldn't have too much trouble with the Macbook Pro's.
The biggest difference I noticed when switching from an iBook G4 to the MacBook was the battery life. In my experience it has been even better in Gentoo than OS X. I've never really hit a point where I need more power (I don't do any gaming or work that requires huge calculations on here).
The only thing I think I may change is to buy more RAM; but that's still up in the air as I'm still running without swap.
Sun Netra t1 500mHz UltraSPARC IIe - Gentoo
3 x SGI Indy R4600 - Irix 5.2 / Gentoo
SkeptikeR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i generally think that thinkpads are one of the best laptops and specially linux support is great, as long as i know.
i am running an Fujitsu Siemens Tablet PC T3010D and nearly everything works. the 2 things that dont work are:
the 4 button synaptics/alps touchpad(only 3 buttons are working and i think its enought ^^) and the tabletpc Buttons. The wacom pen works great after the bug in wacom-0.7.8_p2 was patched. i think the tabletpc buttons could work but i am more a newbe to gentoo even if i use it for nearly 3 years now.
my next one will probably be a ibm thinkpad x60/x61 except the next TabletPC series will have a Nvidia graphics card ;-).
thats my opinion
i have to edit, that the tabletbuttons work! after i read about linlap i visited and found a howto about the t4010 where the fsc-btns project was linked. I easily installed, and everything was working fine!

Thanks
fran_vnzla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinkpad.
nwmcsween
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toshiba A210 is nice and it doesn't cost your first born. I Picked up one for 499$ CAN about $250-300 EU. Everything runs nice on it except for a few bios issues with lapic which should be solved with a bios update.
Toshiba A210
AMD TK-55
2GB RAM
200GB HDD
15" screen
etc
Aquiles
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to score again for the thinkpads. Here in my company everybody uses thinkpads. They get a whole lot of hard use everyday (SAP consultant speaking) and very rarely one of them malfunctions in some way after four or five years. They are wonderfully crafted I think. Not the best design though...
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah in fact, I have a T23,T43 and a T60P at work, and I didn't have any crash at all in more then 7 years. They are not pretty but the are awesome and very solid.
ylonghome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like ThinkPad Z61P:wink:
k.wandowicz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo works perfectly on my Pentium III 850Mhz, 256MB RAM Compaq Evo N400c.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: