Compiling 2.5/2.6 kernels
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Compiling 2.5/2.6 kernels Reply with quote

Hi there,
for the newer kernels a newer compiler is needed. Is there a known good solution ? Is there planning for ebuilding a newer version ? Is this meant to be filed as a bug ? What should i do that is in the range of my possibilities (that is not ebuild writing but maybe sth. else...).
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya smart,

I believe the newer compiler is gcc 3.x which should already be on your system (unless you are running the default-sparc-1.0 or default-sparc64-1.0 profiles). You should be able to compile the kernel with it, but I don't know how successful it will be (only know one person who runs one and I'm not sure it's a Gentoo system). You might find more info by asking in the chatroom #gentoo-sparc on irc.freenode.net
smart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be an open issue actually. It has been tried in an IRC session but unsuccessfull. It seems Gentoo needs the idea of gcc-config completed and via that support for a gcc 64-bit cross compiling environment. At least, thats what it looks like to me.
This is what i refer to:
http://cvs.gentoo.org/~zwelch/xcompile.html
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: kernel + gcc3.x Reply with quote

I have done that, currentlt I am running my sparc64 on gcc3 compiled kerenls, as they are much stabler then 2.95 ones. I have also try to compile 2.5.65 or 67 but they won't compile.

for hints how to build gcc3.2 to generate 64 bit code see my other postings

xming
appetitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the time to read the kernel docs, you will learn that 2.95.3 is fine. Since gcc 3.2.X has problems sometimes [not unusual in linux vs gcc], it may be handy to have around.
Being a Gentoo user means living in a house inhabited by a family of crazed carpenters. When you wake up, the house is different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved, or perhaps someone has removed the floor under your bed.
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all my 2.95.x compiled kernels on sparc will crash within several hours, 3.2.2 compiled ones are fine with some of them more than 120 days uptime now,

xming
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: