Help with partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy15
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Help with partition Reply with quote

I am a newbie to Linux and I a trying to install Gentoo. The first problem I ran into was during installation - I have 3 Primary partitions already. /dev/hda1 is Windows, /dev/hda2 is ubuntu, /dev/hda3 is an extended partition containing hda5, a linux swap for ubuntu. I have 10 GiBs of unallocated space. How can I partition this for Gentoo? Is the same swap used for both Linux distros? Should I put the ubuntu partition inside of the extended part with the swap? Or create a new extended with hda6 and 7, Gentoo swap and root. Please help, as I am totally confused.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the same swap used for both Linux distros?

There are potential problems with this, but that's how I'd do it. The problems are
1) if the swap format between gentoo and ubuntu are incompatible each will have to reformat the swap partition before
reusing. It doesn't seem likely that this is the case though. I would imagine both would be happy to share.

2)
if you expect to suspend the system to swap (swsusp/suspend2) to hibernate you'll be writing that data to your swap partition. Booting into the other OS which isn't going to recognize this system will use the swap itself, with the effect of 'unplugging' that 'running', hibernated system.

The second one is a big one. I can't speak for the stability of ubuntu or its robustness, so I don't know what would happen in this case. I guess the real solution would be to disable the gentoo boot line in grub.conf when ubuntu was suspending to swap. In your case, though, I would just allow them seperate swap partitions.

Quote:
Should I put the ubuntu partition inside of the extended part with the swap?

Nope! Linux doesn't care where the root filesystem is; it can be extended or primary.

Quote:
Or create a new extended with hda6 and 7, Gentoo swap and root.

That is the easiest way to do it. Yes, that's what I recommend.

Now let's think about boot management a little. My guess is, you boot the computer and it goes to a grub menu, from which you can select windows or ubuntu. You'll want to use that same system to boot gentoo as well. When you get to the part about the gentoo boot partition, instead of installing grub and whatnot, simply edit the grub.conf file on the ubuntu partition (you won't need to reboot or anything, but you will need to mount ubuntu's partition to get at the files) and enter in the right configuration information, and to put the kernel image, and if you use them initrd and splash image (if you don't understand those last two, ignore them), in the boot folder.

Quote:
Please help, as I am totally confused.

Well, I certainly hope this helps. Good luck!
Jeremy15
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for straightening things out!
That seems pretty logical, Ill give it a shot.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is logical. If you think a little, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out from here on out. Good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: